ivan leslie

Saga & others European length of cover

My car insurance is due for renewal shortly - we are intending to spend longish periods in Europe ( if  Mr Juncker allows 😀😀 ) . I am being quoted allowed periods varying from 90 to 270 days with the exception of Saga who give the full 365 days, with no restriction on number of trips or maximum number of days on any one trip.  Saga also have the same allowance on caravans so I could look at that when that policy comes up for renewal. My past experience with Saga is that their price is fine ( it is in the competitive area today ) when you first sign up with them but it rockets when it comes up for renewal - they are getting round this by offering, for a relatively small increase in Premium, to hold the price for 3 years.  

Has anyone recent experience of Saga and, if so, what are your thoughts on their service etc.   Similar cover from any other company suggestions welcomed.

thanks 

Twice been with Saga,twice had claims which were settled easily,but two years on they increased by,in one case 100%.........so never went back.

geoff

I had Saga insurance when my car was written off in Italy. Red Pennant sent me a tow car to bring us home.  

When I arrived in UK, I discovered the extra premium I had for a courtesy car  . ...only applied to UK accidents. Fortunately Red Penant ‘bent the rules’ and let me keep the recovery car for another week till I found a replacement ( we only have one car) 

When I needed the legal assistance I had paid extra for. ....only UK accidents.

Saga offered me a basic price for the write off. I then went online and found examples of my vehicle age for sale. ..they matched the price. Except these cars didn’t  have a tow bar.  

I suggested they ‘round up’ the offer by £250.  

Saga. ..” you will need to prove you had a tow bar fitted”

Me “ How about you look at the accident photos I sent with a ****** hitch on the back?!! OR the insurance premium statement that says ‘ towbar fitted’  under modifications?”

Saga “ How much is a towbar ?”

Me “ £700”

Saga  “That’s for a new one. You need to give me the price for a 5yr old one”

Me “where?”

Saga “ Try ebay”

30mins searching miraculously found just one 5yr old Volvo towbar in Denmark. ...for £300. So I emailed the link and added £100 too fit it.  

They rang me 10mins later and said they would agree to my suggestion of the £250 round up.

When it came to renewal, the next month, my £200 premium had gone up to £600. ...because the 3rd party ‘hadn’t  yet accepted liability’.  

Saga “ Well if you pay the £600 and this is confirmed then we can  revisit the premium. ....within 30days”

Me “ But the Police report states I wasn’t responsible?’

Saga “ We haven’t got that yet”

Me “ Yes you have . ...your handling agents are the same agents as the 3rd party’s insurers agents. ...and THEY have acknowledged the reports findings. Read your notes!!”

ONE WEEK LATER after I had reinsured with another company, I had Sagas renewal . ....£400!! Double  my previous insurance despite being proved not to be responsible.

Sorry a long post. ...which means  avoid a lot of time and stress - be careful of small print.

• Like 1

Thanks Geoff - maybe, with the offer of holding the premium for 3 years they have realised they upset many people with their previous actions (me included ).

Eric - thanks, appreciate that - will make sure the fine print is read and understood.

Just renewing with Saga and I'm not a happy bunny.

The renewal quote was £408 compared with £329 last year (up 24%).

So I phoned them and after half an hour of listening to mind numbing music I spoke to a helpful young man and we discovered that the car was first insured with them 3 years ago for a value of £32K, whereas it's market value is now about £20K. This brought the quote down to £366 and he threw in a "loyalty" discount so final premium was £350 .

I did check with him whether any other terms and conditions had changed and he assured me that everything else was as before.

When I received the documents (online) I spotted that the policy excesses had increased:

- accidental damage excess up from £350 to £475

- fire & theft excess up from £100 to £225

I now need to spend another half an hour waiting on the phone to have a fight.

Thing is, the unlimited European cover, and the £1000 belongings cover are what attracted me to this policy.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

At the risk of repeating myself.

A No Claims Discount is exactly that, No CLAIMS not no blame!!

Insurance companies are no different to the Banks, they are NOT benevolent societies, they are huge commercial enterprises who sole function is to make money for the shareholders out of US the “customers” 

Some years ago my car was struck whilst parked and unattended outside my house. Neighbour accepted fault and his insurance co paid up very speedily without a quibble.  Next renewal my insurer wanted to hike my premium “ because statistically someone involved in a no fault claim is more likely to make an “at fault” claim in the future” :angry:

I asked to see those statistics “Can’t do that sir, it’s commercialy sensitive material” Yeah right :rolleyes: !!

Andy

Whichever policy you chose, be careful that the cover outside the UK is actually comprehensive and not the legal minimum third party only.

All calls to insurance companies are recorded these days. Any call that may result in any form of contract now has to be.  

Always ask for details of the foreign cover (is it the same cover as in the U. K.) or any other query you have and then ALWAYS repeat it back to them and ask “is that correct?” 

My missus did that with BT a while ago when her mobile was up for renewal. The call handler said she could have 12 months calls and texts for free as we had been loyal BT customers for years.  Missus repeats that back “yes that’s correct” says call handler.

Some months later when she realised she is being charged for calls etc she rings BT. “Oh no-one would EVER offer that deal madam”  Well you go back and listen to the call and then ring me back! 

Thirty minutes later nice man from BT rings back “I have listened to the original call, enjoy your 12 months free mobile phone madam!!”  Reeeeesult!!!

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Insurance companies are no different to the Banks, they are NOT benevolent societies, they are huge commercial enterprises who sole function is to make money for the shareholders out of US the “customers” 

Some years ago my car was struck whilst parked and unattended outside my house. Neighbour accepted fault and his insurance co paid up very speedily without a quibble.  Next renewal my insurer wanted to hike my premium “ because statistically someone involved in a no fault claim is more likely to make an “at fault” claim in the future” :angry:

I asked to see those statistics “Can’t do that sir, it’s commercialy sensitive material” Yeah right :rolleyes: !!

Andy

Who said anything about no claim discount? You are repeating yourself unnecessarily. 😉 

Wasnt considering the discount, as mine is protected. ...it was the doubling of the premium that was out of order. Wouldn’t have been that much if it had been an “at fault’ claim.

Back In 2012 I did have an ‘at fault’ claim go against me with another insurer . ..my renewal premium with them went up £25 the next year. It’s Sagas greedy opportunism.

42 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

I started this thread and have no idea how this post relates to any information I asked about nor to anything other contributors have made in trying to assist me.  Are you sure you were posting on the thread you thought you were - i. e. Did you have a senior moment when pressing the send button ?

Fred Drift again....................

Just checked my policy and I only get maximum of 90 days . Yes Saga agreeing to hold,for a premium,three years sounds good.

geoff

8 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Just checked my policy and I only get maximum of 90 days . Yes Saga agreeing to hold,for a premium,three years sounds good.

geoff

Depends if that is enough for you Geoff.   CMC give me 270  C &CMC 180 but that's up for discussion.   These are for single trips only, not like the Saga proposal which can be used for any number of trips for any number of days - providing you don't exceed 365 in any one year 😀

13 minutes ago, ivan leslie said:

- providing you don't exceed 365 in any one year 😀

Sounds good, my policy last year was with LV and only covered UK & Ireland!

geoff

I`ve been with SAGA for some time now, premiums are negotiable but tend to be on the higher side.   Their policy`s tend to be clearly written and a little more comprehensive than many, more suited to retiree`s, but with all these things best to shop around.

Despite what Geoff says, have a look at LV. They own what was Frizzel who used to do Red Pennant, and they were recently voted the second best insurance company - guess who was the winner? Oh, sorry, their premiums keep rising don't they! :-))

I have found them very good to deal with inc UK call centre, you get discount if you have more than one policy, and ISTR they permit 180 days overseas. What is more their full European breakdown which includes home start in the UK cost (at least it did last time) about £93 for the year. My car insurance actually went DOWN this year and we are 68 and 66!

On 18/01/2019 at 20:02, shipbroker said:

Sounds good, my policy last year was with LV and only covered UK & Ireland!

geoff

It doesn't now. .they scrapped that  now full European.

geoff

Edited by shipbroker

1 hour ago, Woodentop said:

What is more their full European breakdown which includes home start in the UK cost (at least it did last time) about £93 for the year.

It's now £134,  but doesn't cover/recover a caravan unless it is attached to the car at time of breakdown - otherwise, a good policy.

Saga was one of the cheapest and had 365 days European cover, was an easy choice for us. Most off the other companies had very limited European cover.

16 hours ago, Eddie said:

It's now £134,  but doesn't cover/recover a caravan unless it is attached to the car at time of breakdown - otherwise, a good policy.

LV's breakdown service is provided by  Britannia Rescue and they will attend and recover a caravan from a site if the car has broken down away from the site and I have a written confirmation.

Discounts are available for LV through a Union membership or CSMA (now Boundless) club.

1 hour ago, beejay said:

LV's breakdown service is provided by  Britannia Rescue and they will attend and recover a caravan from a site if the car has broken down away from the site and I have a written confirmation.

Not according to LV,s Policy Documents which state, quote;

UK & European Assist ✓ The benefits of UK Recovery & Home Assist ✓ Added cover for Europe including: ✓ Help at the roadside ✓ Recovery to a local garage within 10 miles (including attached caravans & trailers) ✓ If your vehicle can’t be repaired by the end of the working day you can chose either a hire car, alternative transport or overnight accommodation (please refer to the Breakdown Policy Document for further details) ✓ If it’s not possible to repair your vehicle in time for your return to the UK we’ll pay for it to be transported home along with you, your passengers and your luggage.

Edit; Perhaps that just means that they wouldn't leave the caravan on the side of the road!

Edited by Eddie

I changed my tow car insurance to Saga at last renewal for three reasons:

1) They were 20% cheaper than my previous insurer

2) Their European cover was "fully comp" (most UK insurers only include "legally required" cover in Europe unless you pay a one-off premium for every trip - check your policy small print, they never point it out voluntarily).

3) 365 days European cover

I've used them before several years ago when we had a motorhome and they ALWAYS jacked up the premium substantially every year but would always reduce it after an acrimonious phone call. It was for this reason that I went elsewhere.

Can I thank all who have responded to my original post.  Just about made the decision to switch the car to Saga as it does seem a straight forward choice.  

When our caravan comes up for renewal later this year I will probably go through the whole exercise again 😀😀

51 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Not according to LV,s Policy Documents which state, quote;

UK & European Assist ✓ The benefits of UK Recovery & Home Assist ✓ Added cover for Europe including: ✓ Help at the roadside ✓ Recovery to a local garage within 10 miles (including attached caravans & trailers) ✓ If your vehicle can’t be repaired by the end of the working day you can chose either a hire car, alternative transport or overnight accommodation (please refer to the Breakdown Policy Document for further details) ✓ If it’s not possible to repair your vehicle in time for your return to the UK we’ll pay for it to be transported home along with you, your passengers and your luggage.

Edit; Perhaps that just means that they wouldn't leave the caravan on the side of the road!

Extract from an email from BR Quality Management Department

" Officially caravans are covered as part of your BR breakdown cover so long as they are attached to the vehicle.   Should a problem arise with the towing vehicle which resulted in it being unable to tow the caravan BR would recover/repatriate the caravan if necessary.   We appreciate that if the car and caravan went on a trip they would viewed as a unit.   The exclusion of assisting caravans at their place of storage or caravan site is to prevent claims which are not related to the breakdown of the towing vehicle.

It is common practice that caravanners take out separate insurance to cover their caravans if travelling abroad to safeguard against any losses.   However, we would assist you if you were in a road traffic accident and as a result the caravan could not be towed"

Separate from the above it has been pointed out that if a car breakdown required workshop attention this is usually a few days at most and the owner could continue to use the caravan as accommodation during this waiting time.   If in the unlikely event that the vehicle needed repatriating to the UK for repairs the caravan would be included.

• Thanks 1

That's good to know beejay, thank you.