Sign in to follow this  
5er

Thetford Fridge Freezer Not cooling down

Hi all! 

I have in my motorhome, converted from van. Thetford N3150 Caravan Motorhome Fridge Freezer, it is 3 way freezer. The issue is that after some time (like day or two) stopps cooling. .. And the temperature can get to 10 degrees while freezer still remains frozen but not as much. ..

This is happening when outside is 5 degrees. ..

Does anyone have any idea what can be wrong?

You need to use a cover on the outside vents.

18 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

You need to use a cover on the outside vents.

As said .

Dave

Hi, I know this is an old post but, since I'm searching for other people who are having this problem, I thought it worth mentioning my experience. Basically I have been following the instructions to switch on the 240v on  my Thetford N150 24 hours before loading it and this always works fine.  Then,  with automatic set, off we go on 12v. Arrive at site, hook-up and run on 240v again. OK so far.

After about 48hrs, I notice that the temperature isn't holding and gets up to 10 or 11 degrees,so I switch over to gas. During winter I do use the covers but this does'nt alter this situation, which has got worse and now it will only run on gas for about 48hrs before the temperature begins to rise again; I also now suspect it is beginning to fail on 12v. Fortunately, I carry a 3 way cool box in the back and have rechargeable gas cylinders so we've been getting by.

I first noticed the problem with 240v while in Spain in 2017; the following year, just before heading home from Spain, I noticed I was beginning to experience problems when running on gas. Then, while at Minehead last week, with night time temperatures of between 0 and 4 degrees and the covers on, the cycle began again.

I have had the van into the workshop but this isn't a problem that can be simulated and there is never a fault code on the display. The diagnosis we've had now is that it is likely that there is debris in the heat exchanger which is gradually blocking up the glands; hence 240v is affected first, then the more efficient gas option. This does seem a logical answer, however it also means I need a new fridge, ouch!

By the way, did your problem go away?

Don't know if it applies to the fridge model in question , but on both Thetford fridges I've been unfortunate enough to own in the past, the symptom of rising temperature after 2 days (actually 49 hours!) has been caused by a failing sensor. This sensor is intended to switch the fridge off if the cooling fins at the back ice up (why this was/is considered necessary is beyond me).  When the sensor goes do-lally it refuses to switch the fridge on again. Drove my dealer as far as getting a Thetford service engineer in especially to fix it, & it took him ages. Can't remember the fault code but it was all very misleading. The only easy way is to fit a new sensor & see if it cures it.

I'm very glad to say that Dometic don't suffer from this 'design feature'.