Sign in to follow this  
Stripler

help finding caravan to match my car

Hi Everyone,

My partner and i are looking to take the plunge and get our first caravan together.  

Can any one tell me if my car is a tested workhorse for caravanning.

1. It Is  SEAT EXEO 2. 0TDI ST170hp Estate  (only 55k miles).  I was told this car gives us lots of towing options, however so far every caravan i choose comes back as too heavy. ..grrrrrrr        max tow weight apparantly 1600kg

2. We are ideally looking for a van with an island bed or 2 rear singles and cost wise somewhere in the value of 9-12k.  

can anyone give me some options

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

What is the unladen weight of the car?

John.

hi

max tow weight 1600kg

kerbweight 1590kg

nose weight 80 kg

does that help?

If you are new to towing the advice is to not go above 85% of the kerbweight, so this is a van of approx 1350kg MTPLM, you are a little limited on options for your layout - you can go above this weight but additional care must be given. Entry level Bailey and Lunar models will likely be your best bet for weight.

Do you have B+E on your licence? If not, your choices are even narrower than you think!

The 85% thing is only a guide, and somewhat controversial, but the towing limit is mandatory.

Your ideal van is no lightweight and I doubt that  you will find one within your towing limit, let alone the 85% guide

50 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Do you have B+E on your licence? ........................

Is my car upto Caravanning...

Stripler replied to Stripler's topic in Towcar Talk

Ahhh i passed in oooooh 1988.

August 7, 2018

13 replies

Maybe one of the Sprite Alpine range their current 4 berth fixed bed is under 1300kg. Not sure about older models. I would have thought that other manufacturers have suitable weights in their basic model ranges

I would have reckoned most lower weight fix beds would be around 1450kg MPTLM though

Edited by Easy T

Both the Sprite Alpine 4 and Pursuit 430/4 are fine weight wise but neither are island or twin bedded

Bailey did a Pursuit with twin singles, I think it was the 540/4 which would be fine weight wise too and a used one would be in budget. There is a Lunar Venus too

17 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Both the Sprite Alpine 4 and Pursuit 430/4 are fine weight wise but neither are island or twin bedded

The current Alpine 4 does have a fixed bed however.  

I agree the OP's car is a tad limiting but would have been fine weight wise before caravans started having the additional features over the last 25 years.  

Yes i have b+ e.

I fancy lunar venus 550/4, this appears a good match?.

Can anyine with more experience than me advise at all. .

3 hours ago, Stripler said:

Yes i have b+ e.

I fancy lunar venus 550/4, this appears a good match?.

Can anyine with more experience than me advise at all. .

At 1320kg Laden, I think that this combination should work just fine.  What do others on the Forum think?

John.

Practical caravan is very positive about the towing ability of Seat Exeo.

3 hours ago, Leedslad said:

At 1320kg Laden, I think that this combination should work just fine.  What do others on the Forum think?

John.

Sounds fine

Our last caravan was a Swift Challenger 565. Twin beds, MTPLW 1450kg. Towed with a Kia Sportage 2. 0l no problems.

Current caravan is a Sprite Major 4EB. Island rear double bed. MTPLW 1450kg. Towed with a SsangYong Rexton W 2. 0l, once again, no problems.

Towing limit on the Sportage was, (I think) 1600kg, and the towing limit on the Rexton is a massive 3,000kg.

A used Challenger should be within your budget, not sure about a used Sprite though.

Hope this helps, Mike.

Some car manufacturers such as Citroen, give a max towed weight including weight transfer from the  car load which can give a false indication of the max weight for a caravan if the car is going to be fully loaded. As well as the kerb weight you need to look at the allowed car max weight and the car/trailer max weight as shown on the car VIN plate with the difference between these 2 being the max weight MTPLM of the caravan.

Think im gonna go lunar venus 550/4.

Found a nice 2015 model, 1 owner, immaculate condition with mover and extras. .......price 9650.

Does this seem a good deal

• Like 1

I find the vehicle details a bit puzzling. AFAICS this model is built on the same chassis as the Audi A4 and is listed as a VW B7 chassis which was also used on the Passat Estate from about 2009 until 2015 when the present B8 came in. My last Passat was the B7 140bhp and that was rated to pull 1825Kg as is my present B8. The B6 (the one with the big circular LED rear lights) was 1800Kg.

No-one has mentioned to the OP to check the plating. This is usually on the nearside B-pillar (between front and back doors) or may be on the edge of one of the doors below the lock. The top two figures are the maximum train weight and the maximum vehicle weight. Subtract the smaller from the larger and you have the maximum trailer weight.

It does not follow that the V5C towing figure is correct as this relies upon the details provided by the dealer when it is first registered. When we got our B8 in September 2018 the plate showed 1825Kg, the V5C showed 1800Kg, and the VW web site showed 2000Kg! I threw it back to VW corporate who after a week or so came back with the fact that some vehicles made around the beginning of 2018 (ours was first registered as at the end of March and we bought as an ex-VW management car) had been incorrectly plated and an Engineering Bulletin had been issued. Somewhere in the user/sale chain a new plate had been fitted but whoever did it had failed to notify the DVLA. My V5C has now been corrected.

Having said that my B7 maximum noseweight was 90Kg (with a Westfalia removable  ball) but the spec I have seen for the Exeo is 75Kg - the same as an Octavia, so it could be that this model is built on a stretched Golf chassis as was the Octavia.

The Exeo, as you say is an Audi A4 - not just chassis but pretty much everything bar the badges!

I think 1600kg will be plenty enough. My Passat has a 2005kg towing limit but at 1505kg Mass in Service, only somebody with a death wish would put a 2t caravan in n the hitch.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Woodentop said:

I find the vehicle details a bit puzzling. AFAICS this model is built on the same chassis as the Audi A4 and is listed as a VW B7 chassis which was also used on the Passat Estate from about 2009 until 2015 when the present B8 came in. My last Passat was the B7 140bhp and that was rated to pull 1825Kg as is my present B8. The B6 (the one with the big circular LED rear lights) was 1800Kg.

No-one has mentioned to the OP to check the plating. This is usually on the nearside B-pillar (between front and back doors) or may be on the edge of one of the doors below the lock. The top two figures are the maximum train weight and the maximum vehicle weight. Subtract the smaller from the larger and you have the maximum trailer weight.

It does not follow that the V5C towing figure is correct as this relies upon the details provided by the dealer when it is first registered. When we got our B8 in September 2018 the plate showed 1825Kg, the V5C showed 1800Kg, and the VW web site showed 2000Kg! I threw it back to VW corporate who after a week or so came back with the fact that some vehicles made around the beginning of 2018 (ours was first registered as at the end of March and we bought as an ex-VW management car) had been incorrectly plated and an Engineering Bulletin had been issued. Somewhere in the user/sale chain a new plate had been fitted but whoever did it had failed to notify the DVLA. My V5C has now been corrected.

Having said that my B7 maximum noseweight was 90Kg (with a Westfalia removable  ball) but the spec I have seen for the Exeo is 75Kg - the same as an Octavia, so it could be that this model is built on a stretched Golf chassis as was the Octavia.

Very interesting read this, will have a look at this after work

Sign in to follow this