Jump to content
Borussia 1900

Small petrol SUV recommendations

Recommended Posts

I bought the wife a 4WD super car capable of 180 mph and new jet ski but she never used either them so dicided to cancel her life insurance I had taken out .

 

 

Dave

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Her main worry about getting a large SUV is that she can't park it, the staff car par where she works has very narrow parking bays, if she goes to work in the Shogun she often comes back to it to find someone else has parked so close she can't open the drivers door and has to open the rear door and climb over the seats.

 

Its no where near the Shogun in size, more like the Tucson, Kuga, Tiguan, Q3.

Front /rear sensors reversing camera, area view camera now available, it very easy to park up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

 

Front /rear sensors reversing camera, area view camera now available, it very easy to park up.

You’re not seen my wife drive :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

You’re not seen my wife drive :)

Just order a Range Rover with a sunroof so they she can climb in the top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, svimes said:

Just order a Range Rover with a sunroof so they she can climb in the top.

The Shogun has a panorama sunroof but she's afraid of heights :ph34r:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sat alongside a Vitara in traffic yesterday - she may not like the Arona’s mirrors (they do look a bit fussy) but that’s nothing compared to the style and character-free zone of the Suzuki.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Sat alongside a Vitara in traffic yesterday - she may not like the Arona’s mirrors (they do look a bit fussy) but that’s nothing compared to the style and character-free zone of the Suzuki.  

 

 

Got to say, I agree and I like Suzukis. Same goes for the SX thingy.

 

But Mrs Borussia is clearly not averse to having some strange looking things in her life. ...😁😜😜

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

You’re not seen my wife drive :)

 

Perhaps the best option is using her bus pass.

 

We only have one car in our household, and never seen the need for two, if I did we would have kept the cx-5.   My wife has never had a problem driving even the larger Xtrail T31 we had, and she is a nervous woman typically she will not drive on motorways, and refuses to even consider towing, even when I said she could do a towing course! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Sat alongside a Vitara in traffic yesterday - she may not like the Arona’s mirrors (they do look a bit fussy) but that’s nothing compared to the style and character-free zone of the Suzuki.  

If and at this stage it's still an if, she gets a Vitara it will not be a style based decision, it will be because we've had Suzuki's for 10 years without a single fault, excellent service from our dealer and for the same price as a low spec'd VW/Skoda/Audi/Seat etc she'll get:

4WD

140 bhp

Panoramic Roof

etc etc

Something else Germans are. .....................tight! (That's why she married a Yorkshireman)

 

She's got a 'short list' now. ........

 

1. Wait until the VW T Cross comes out

2. Wait even longer until the Skoda Anuq comes out

3. Suzuki Vitara

4. Mitsubishi ASX

5. Honda HRV

 

The above list will first be put to a referendum, no doubt plenty of haggling, she probably won't get the deal she's after and then we may have to sit around the table and have a peoples vote :D

6 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

 

Perhaps the best option is using her bus pass.

 

We only have one car in our household, and never seen the need for two, if I did we would have kept the cx-5.   My wife has never had a problem driving even the larger Xtrail T31 we had, and she is a nervous woman typically she will not drive on motorways, and refuses to even consider towing, even when I said she could do a towing course! 

She's only 48 :o

 

My wife doesn't drive on the motorway either, and there's not a chance of her towing anything.

We only have the Shogun because of the caravan, if we didn't have a caravan I'd buy myself a Ford Mustang. No getting away from having 2 cars though, we need them to get to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mustang convertible appeals to me! Have to be V8 though! Would get popular with fuel station!

Just had my trusty Saab  convertible serviced and mot tested, it needed a bit of brake pipe renewing underneath near tank, a flexy plus  metal bit, I had all 4 flexibles to calipers changed as well. Tester said she's immaculate underneath  its only done 78,000 miles. Not bad for12 years old.  

We both like it so cheaper than swapping!

We don't really need two cars now, but the convertible is nice and probably not worth a lot to sell. As long as nothing major goes we will keep it. We have 2 year old Santa Fe for towing.

Edited by 664DaveS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 664DaveS said:

Mustang convertible appeals to me! Have to be V8 though! Would get popular with fuel station!

Just had my trusty Saab  convertible serviced and mot tested, it needed a bit of brake pipe renewing underneath near tank, a flexy plus  metal bit, I had all 4 flexibles to calipers changed as well. Tester said she's immaculate underneath  its only done 78,000 miles. Not bad for12 years old.  

We both like it so cheaper than swapping!

We don't really need two cars now, but the convertible is nice and probably not worth a lot to sell. As long as nothing major goes we will keep it. We have 2 year old Santa Fe for towing.

Defo the 5 litre V8 but not the convertible though, it spoils the chassis. Just for work I don't do mega mileage and to be honest it probably doesn't use that much more fuel than a Shogun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smaller caravan, Skoda Karoq 2. 0TDi 4x4 tow car for Mrs B to drive daily and Mustang V8 for you.

 

Simple

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/01/2019 at 17:08, svimes said:

Mercedes GLA?

It's not about original purchase price, it's total cost of ownership (TCO). Original purchase cost, maintenance, fuel and finally residual value.   Sometimes higher initial purchase price doesn't mean it's the most expensive overall.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TenStar said:

It's not about original purchase price, it's total cost of ownership (TCO). Original purchase cost, maintenance, fuel and finally residual value.   Sometimes higher initial purchase price doesn't mean it's the most expensive overall.  

Whilst you are correct, only the original cost can be known at the time of purchase, the other items can only be estimates at best or biased wild guesses at worst.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just test drove a 1. 4 Turbo Petrol Vitara, she loved it so she’ll probably get one of those

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about a Panda Cross 4x4.

Great little car, my grannies got one. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or the Ford Ka+ Active Plus. My Gran's considering one once she's recovered from her hip op.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, svimes said:

Or the Ford Ka+ Active Plus. My Gran's considering one once she's recovered from her hip op.

In the past I've had 2 brand new Ford Puma's and the last of the old Ford Escorts, no end of problems with them so I'm reluctant to buy another Ford (although I would like a Mustang).

7 hours ago, scotsstag said:

What about a Panda Cross 4x4.

Great little car, my grannies got one. :) 

Too small

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst my Disco 4 is being serviced I have a Jaguar E-Pace as a loan car - so far seems quite a capable car and certainly comfortable however I only picked it up today at 09. 00 hrs so cant give a  write up!  Plus I haven't a clue how much they cost and as a by the way this one has a petrol engine!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my team has just bought a Kona, the 1. 0 turbo model - her and her husband are over the moon with it, really happy with the drive, price, deal and spec 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/01/2019 at 13:07, FrankBullet said:

One of my team has just bought a Kona, the 1. 0 turbo model - her and her husband are over the moon with it, really happy with the drive, price, deal and spec 

She doesn't like it, I think it looks ok.

 

She picked up an ASX from our local Mitsubishi dealer last Friday, she got home and said "I don't need to drive it any further its terrible". I had a go, it was gutless with virtually no feedback from the steering, very bland to to drive.

I think she's set her heart on the Vitara, 1. 4 turbo petrol, 4x4 and probably the Automatic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was given a loan Jeep Renegade 1. 6l was quite impressed with it however it was a manual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I was given a loan Jeep Renegade 1. 6l was quite impressed with it however it was a manual.

German brands give you a 3 year warranty, Kia and Mitsubishi give 5 years and Hyundai 7 years. Jeep give you a 2 year warranty (in Germany, not sure about the UK), that and the fact they are consistently at the bottom of reliability tables is reason enough for me not to buy one.

She liked the Kona (on-line), we went to the dealer, she sat in it and announced 'I don't like it' :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kia 7 years these days.

geoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...