thensum

Tempted by Compass

Not looked at Elddis or Compass vans in years as put off by horror tales of cracking panels, damp, poor customer service from Elddis, so only focussed on Swift group and Lunar previously.  However, our Challenger SE which we love hasn't been without its issues so we've had a few warranty repairs done and I've dropped it off at the dealer again today as the front 3  windows despite replacement still let in water when towing in rain.  Our dealer is excellent at sorting things but it's a 200 mile round trip to Swindon and back from home near Crawley, yes our decision as we got £3,500 off the new Challenger 530 SE when we traded in our Lunar in Nov 2015.  

Been looking tonight at what local dealers are selling and Roundstone Caravans near Horsham now sell Compass and must admit we really like the interior of the Compass Capiro 550 and it's slightly lighter than our 2015 Challenger - also it would be our first fixed bed van!! The interior seems brighter, less fussy and quite on trend so going to look at it 'in the flesh' tomorrow hopefully.

I see Elddis/Compass only have 2 yr warranty now, not 3 like other brands but they do have 10 yr water ingress warranty like Swift.  Basically looking for comments and feedback on Compass and in particular the Capiro 550, so I can see whether or not we should make the change. .....

Thanks

Thensum

I have an Elddis now about 5 years old, apart from squeaky floor have not had serious problems. ...went around the factory in September and must admit that the processes we watched were impressive,as was the new equipment the,the, new owners had fitted.

geoff

20 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

I have an Elddis now about 5 years old, apart from squeaky floor have not had serious problems. ...went around the factory in September and must admit that the processes we watched were impressive,as was the new equipment the,the, new owners had fitted.

geoff

Thanks Geoff, good to hear that.

I strongly suggest you actually read the warranty. Note what is not covered.  

31 minutes ago, Alan Stanley said:

I strongly suggest you actually read the warranty. Note what is not covered.  

Thanks Alan and yes good advice.  It's early days as we still really like our Swift but this Compass caught my eye with good spec, rear fixed bed and light enough for my current towcar.

Where's best to read the warranty, on the website? 

12 hours ago, thensum said:

Thanks Alan and yes good advice.  It's early days as we still really like our Swift but this Compass caught my eye with good spec, rear fixed bed and light enough for my current towcar.

Where's best to read the warranty, on the website? 

On their site but look for owner's manual.   Here is the link for the owner's handbook for the Capiro.   Check page 98 for warranty.

Edited by Durbanite

We walk the dogs past Roundstones most days and up until now they have had only Adria for new vans plus a lot of old Baileys that seemed to hang around for ever. Previously they were Sterling agents and still had a brand new 2014 Eccles on their forecourt until very recently. We looked round the Compass vans they have on display. Look ok but nothing we'd change our Swift for. Roundstones have served us well in the past with three used vans. They have a good shop and the workshop is efficient (and very busy).

Yes I was surprised to see them selling more new caravans again and the shop staff told that it was only this year that Compass had approached them so they are giving it a go.

The outside of the Compass vans  don't seem anywhere as good as our current Swift, I could see the outline of the wooden frame through the aluminium sides!! The front gas locker lid barely opens wide enough to gain easy access seems like a design flaw.

What I think Elddis & Compass have got absolutely correct in our opinion are the internal  colour schemes, fabric, curtains, stainless steel cooker hob, smart boxed in Thetford flush tank on the loo.  No chintzy florals or large poppy designs on curtains like Swift and others, but that's our opinion.

I must admit the Swift Eccles interiors seem more to our taste but then it's a personal thing.

We will be sticking with our Swift but always good to look around and quite impressed with the accessory shop, so stocked up on toilet chemicals. ....

I think the flush water for the toilet is supplied via the aquaroll on this van, so doesn't have the flush tank.

11 hours ago, thensum said:

The outside of the Compass vans  don't seem anywhere as good as our current Swift, I could see the outline of the wooden frame through the aluminium sides!! The front gas locker lid barely opens wide enough to gain easy access seems like a design flaw.

Also the swift may have grp side walls which dont show the interior structure as much. Probably a good thing as shows the panels were allowed to cure under compression to produce a good bond.  

Edited by ian16527

I have a Compass Casita 840, since 2017.  Its been great and no problems, no damp any year (inc service a few weeks ago).  I think UK vans all the same re build quality.  I had a Bailey before (bought new 2013) and it leaked and had damp issue.  I think Compass are good, at least in my experience.