patrkaro

Fuel consumption

I pull a twin axle Elddis 1800K MTPLM with a 16 plate 3. 2 shogan long wheel base, the car is great for the job but fuel consumption at 18 mpg and less is dreadfull. I've had it checked and Mitsubishi say its fine. Have towed with this set up  as far as Spain and even long runs gives rubbish mpg.

Does anyone have a better experience with a large twin axle and what vehicle do you use for towing? I'm interested in both Cars and Vans, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Heavy car, heavy van, big engine! It's never going to be brilliant consumption.

Have you tried adjusting your speed? Some outfits seem to have particular speeds at which consumption is at its worst, even two or three mph can make quite a difference.

• Thanks 1

As Stevan say, what speeds do you tow at? 

Pulling a big lump of caravan is like dragging a brick through treacle and the faster you do it the more drag there is. It's a square law, double your speed and the drag increases four-fold. I'd also guess that a 3. 2 Shogun isn't the most economical of vehicles even when solo

If you cruise at 60mph, try it at 50mph, it'll take you longer but you may well find that you could save 10% in fuel costs.

Even with my S-Max & 1550kg Cadiz combination the fuel consumption rises dramatically over about 55mph.

Crusing at 55 I get around 31-32 mpg. Do it at 60 and it drops to 27-28. I dread to think what it might be if I blatted along at 65.

The same when solo, I can get 60mpg if I dont go above 50mph but it's boring, doing 60 drops it to around 55mpg and 80mph gets it down to around 48.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Heavy car, heavy van, big engine! It's never going to be brilliant consumption.

Have you tried adjusting your speed? Some outfits seem to have particular speeds at which consumption is at its worst, even two or three mph can make quite a difference.

:goodpost:  It's a big outfit.  As Steven says, try experimenting with your speed.  Mine is much smaller but does have a 'sweet spot' at around 58mph on motorways.  From your car I would expect 30mpg solo and 18 - 20mpg towing.

John.

Edited by Leedslad
  • Thanks 1

I used to tow at 60 mph and got 24 to  26. 5 mpg, I now tow at 56 mph and get between 29 and 31 mpg depending on conditions   (wind)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Luxury!

I'd be more than happy to get 18mpg towing my 1500kg caravan.

Yes, I know I could drive a little more economically. I could also get another car more suited to towing but its not going to happen as this car is so dynamically good when solo. Life is a compromise, so 15mpg or less. Slightly smug now that Super Unleaded is about 5p a litre cheaper than normal diesel!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, patrkaro said:

I pull a twin axle Elddis 1800K MTPLM with a 16 plate 3. 2 shogan long wheel base, the car is great for the job but fuel consumption at 18 mpg and less is dreadfull. I've had it checked and Mitsubishi say its fine. Have towed with this set up  as far as Spain and even long runs gives rubbish mpg.

Does anyone have a better experience with a large twin axle and what vehicle do you use for towing? I'm interested in both Cars and Vans, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi patrkaro.   I towed several large twin axle caravans and many large boxed trailers until a couple of years ago.                                                                      

I have towed with Volvo V70's with both petrol - including my 1997 Volvo V70 T5 CD Automatic and diesel powered 2nd generation,they have always been automatic/geartronic;indeed I had seven over a period spanning some 16 years+.

My favoured caravan was a 2001 Elddis Crusader SuperSirocco (MPTLP 1750kgs),my diesel Volvo's were D5's with a towing limit of 1800kgs.

The real world MPG with Petrol ( not what the OBC said) was  regularly 19 to 22 mpg and my towing speed was usually between 50mph and 60mph and whenever possible/appropriate I would use cruise control.

The D5's were quite disappointing and only returned a couple of mpg's higher figures;considering the higher fuel costs and other factors of diesel ownership I really did not consider them a good investment.

Run solo and on longer journeys they could produce realistic figures but that was only really achievable when speed was kept below 65mph.

I had seriously considered a low mileage/one owner 2001 Shogun Sport Elegance Automatic but the thought of the fuel consumption brought tears to my eyes,I stayed with Volvo V70's.

• Thanks 1

I used to get 28 mpg from my Isuzu Dmax Auto at a steady 55 mph with my 2000 kg Crusader and 42 solo driving steady brimming the tank .

Dave

• Thanks 1

I cracked it.

I bought a smaller,  lighter Caravan and tow it with a modern two litre diesel engined  car. I can't think of any other way .  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I towed my current Hymer 545 Nova, which comes in at 1800kg + with my last car a Vw Touareg for 6 years at a long term average of 27 mpg with most of it with a light foot and sensible runs. Towing was at best 22 mpg with most calculations more like the 20 mpg. Lots of trips to the Mediterranean and throughout France. I have recently changed to a Mercedes 3. 0 tdi E Class. Long term average a clear 10 + mpg ahead although possibly only mid to late twenties towing, which did surprise me. I do however think at its possibly down to driving faster because I can.   If you read most of the tow  car reviews it's surprising how much towing affects consumption even with super high achieving solo mileage vehicles struggling to return 30mpg when towing.

• Thanks 1

I keep a log of my fuel consumption and towing my 2000kg Schooner brimmed each time and from my records I have recorded, 22. 8/23. 7/21. 6/25. 2/24. 4mpg, not bad looking at some of the above.

Tow car Discovery 4 - 3 litre (8 speed model).

Rarely go above 56/57mph (speedo) on motorways and biggest proportion of above figures are on UK motorways.

Out of interest from new, 820 gallons for 21260 miles so 26ish mpg true average.

• Thanks 1

I don’t really know or care. Kept an eye on fuel consumption for a while with the Freelander when we first bought a caravan. Since I changed to a big Jeep last year, I’ve barely given it a thought after the first couple of trips.  Certainly uses more than the Land Rover. I prefer to travel fairly quickly, say 65-70 on quiet motorways and a 3 litre V6 will definitely use some fuel towing at that pace.  

Compared to the costs of buying buying and running a modern caravan and towcar, fuel is a tiny cost. Whether it’s doing 18, 20, or 25mpg is such a small cost in comparison to depreciation it’s not worth considering. We bought them to enjoy, and being miserly about them isn’t going to add to my enjoyment.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, patrkaro said:

Thanks

You don't buy a shogun for its fuel economy!! 

I struggle to get high 20's solo with mine.   I don't tow a van at the moment but with my bigger trailer  -about 700kgs - i don't get much more than 20.  

As has been said - its a big car with a big engine & transfer boxes etc to compensate for.  

I was aware what the fuel economy was before I bought mine, but as i don't do that many miles - under 10000 in the two years ive owned it - for us its not an issue.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, patrkaro said:

Thanks

1900Kg Bailey Senator Wyoming behind V6 VW Touareg 24 mpg at best 22 at worst. Speed does make a massive difference, above 60mph it drinks the fuel, 56 mph seems to be the sweetspot, 6th gear anywhere. Touareg now gone, 4. 4 V8 Range Rover, I havent towed with it yet but solo is way better than Touareg in MPG's so I'm hoping the same will be true for towing (700 nm torque). Both of these are big heavy cars yet seemingly will perform better than the Shogun.

Edited by AJGalaxy2012
  • Thanks 1

I have a 2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero LWB (Shogun), it tows a 2 tonne Tabbert Puccini 2. 5e, it usually has bikes on the roof too and depending on the wind direction and amount of hills it uses between 16 -18 l/100 km on the Autobahn at 100 km/h, I’m not sure what that is in old money but I know it isn’t great. I knew that when I bought though so I’m happy with it. I would add that I leave it permanently in 4WD High.

I’ve just driven back to my house in Mönchengladbach from Koblenz (solo), 3 People and a dog at 120 km/h in very heavy wind and rain and it averaged 10 l/100 km with the air-con set on Auto

Edited by Borussia 1900
  • Thanks 1

Not in the same league of vehicle but I get 28-30mpg on the trip computer, never done a whole tank towing to get an accurate figure but judging by my calcs when solo it's reasonably accurate.  I tend to drive at a genuine 60 where possible so don't expect brilliant economy, just accept whatever it is as part of the cost of a fun hobby

• Thanks 1

I’ve had it up to Warpspeed on the Autobahn (185 Km/h), it doesn’t go any faster and you can watch the fuel needle go down :o

I almost bought a new 5 litre V8 petrol Ford Mustang recently, that makes the Shogun seem very economical to run.

• Thanks 1

I would add that it’s currently got Goodyear Winter tyres on it, when the Continental Sport Contact 5 Summer tyres are fitted it used almost 1 litre per 100 Km less

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I’ve had it up to Warpspeed on the Autobahn (185 Km/h)...

I bet that was. ..interesting!

Should add that if I stick to 50mph in 5th we can get 37 to 40mpg.

1 minute ago, FrankBullet said:

I bet that was. ..interesting!

Should add that if I stick to 50mph in 5th we can get 37 to 40mpg.

Yes, I’ve done well over 240 km/h in the mother-in-laws Macan and it’s scarier doing 185 in a Shogun :o

2 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I’ve had it up to Warpspeed on the Autobahn (185 Km/h), it doesn’t 

I almost bought a new 5 litre V8 petrol Ford Mustang recently, that makes the Shogun seem very economical to run.

Had a 5 litre TVR Griffith 500 for 7 years.

It had the 4. 6 litre Range Rover V8 modified to 5 litre by TVR.

If I tried hard I could get down to 13 mpg on some off motorway journeys.  ;)

5 minutes ago, Griff said:

If I tried hard I could get down to 13 mpg on some off motorway journeys.  ;)

Good work Griff 💪🏻

Our Landy Defenders do about 24 mpg solo, oh and about 24 mpg towing. :lol:

• Haha 1

I was in a work mates xjs v12 many years ago and it topped out at 168 mph - on a track i might add. Fastest I've done myself is 130mph - not telling where that was but if I'd been spotted I'm sure  someone in blue would have been a bit cross :ph34r:

9 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

1900Kg Bailey Senator Wyoming behind V6 VW Touareg 24 mpg at best 22 at worst. Speed does make a massive difference, above 60mph it drinks the fuel, 56 mph seems to be the sweetspot, 6th gear anywhere. Touareg now gone, 4. 4 V8 Range Rover, I havent towed with it yet but solo is way better than Touareg in MPG's so I'm hoping the same will be true for towing (700 nm torque). Both of these are big heavy cars yet seemingly will perform better than the Shogun.

I believe a Touareg is more aerodynamic than most SUVs, comes from sharing with Porsche.