hp100425ev

Kia sorento Spare wheel

My 2015 Sorento came with a full sized alloy as the spare wheel.  

Now a new Sorento comes with a spacesaver, which I presume is still underslung because the car still has the 3rd row seats.

Has anyone got one of the late models and replaced the spacesaver with a full size alloy?

If so, does the full size still fit underneath with a tow bar fitted?

I understand your point, but many cars now come with only a  can of gunge and not necessarily anywhere to fit even a space saver, let alone a full size spare!

Have you asked your dealer/

Or are you a member (free) of https://www. kiaownersclub. co. uk/

geoff

Personally, I wouldnt tow with just a can of gunge or a spacesaver spare.

Kia Owners forum has conflicting information.

The Kia website says all models now have spacesaver, but one person on Owners Club says he has seen new car in showroom with full size spare (may have been an ‘old’ model) and another says that the Sorento now has an adblue tank under the rear which restricts space so that only a spacesaver will fit.

Looks like another Sorento will a no-no for me. I already carry caravan spare in boot and dont want a full size car wheel in there too!

Shame really because it is a superb towcar.

34 minutes ago, Stevan said:

I understand your point, but many cars now come with only a  can of gunge and not necessarily anywhere to fit even a space saver, let alone a full size spare!

Whilst true, that isn't good

Our Jeep does not have a space saver.   Instead of a 20" tyre it has a normal 18" tyre on the alloy.   All the rest of the specs seem to be the same?

Maybe having a narrower tyre may be better than a space saver?  Not being a tyre fitter I don't have a clue.   :)

Our Santa Fe has a full size alloy spare,not sure if the new model has.  

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Our Jeep does not have a space saver.   Instead of a 20" tyre it has a normal 18" tyre on the alloy.   All the rest of the specs seem to be the same?

Maybe having a narrower tyre may be better than a space saver?  Not being a tyre fitter I don't have a clue.   :)

If the spare's size varies at all from the road tyres, then it is effectively a space saver as it's limited to 50mph just the same

Looked at a new Sorento in a Kia showroom a few months ago and I'm pretty sure it had a full sized alloy spare wheel slung underneath.

https://www. tyremen. co. uk/wheels

Even if you have to just put one in the boot while towing and cheaper from a wheel supplier than a main dealer .

Dave

I got a spare full sized  matching alloy wheel for a previous S-max from E-bay,

It came with a decent enough tyre for a spare and it cost me £30 and 35miles each way to pick it up.   I'd carry it in the boot when towing or on longish journeys. It would just about fit, but vertically when I had the second row of seats in use.

My present S-Max has an underslung space-saver which should be enough to get me out of trouble.

1 hour ago, Dobloseven said:

Looked at a new Sorento in a Kia showroom a few months ago and I'm pretty sure it had a full sized alloy spare wheel slung underneath.

Maybe not the latest one.

According to Kia website, all models now show spec as being a spacesaver.

Somebody,somewhere, was saying that one of the Kia models had an ad-Blue tank which blocked the fitting of a towbar. ...can't think where I saw it though?

geoff

My understanding is that the adblue tank is what has caused the change from full size alloy to spacesaver.

Somone on the Kia Owners Forum said that this caused extra cost when having a towbar fitted, but not clear why that should be.

There are very few cars that come with a full size spare in the end you have to make up your mind whether it is the car or a spare wheel you are actually buying if you see what I mean.   Unless there is space in a proper stowage position,  to carry a full size SUV wheel in the boot will leave little room for much else.   A space saver should be able to get a car towing a caravan to the nearest tyre centre (even in France) after all no matter what the spare position is once its used you have nothing so obtaining a replacement is only wise.  

1 hour ago, shipbroker said:

Somebody,somewhere, was saying that one of the Kia models had an ad-Blue tank which blocked the fitting of a towbar. ...can't think where I saw it though?

geoff

Post #4 by hp00425ev

53 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Post #4 by hp00425ev

No this was a towbar comment not a spare wheel one, so source not the same.

geoff

I know it's a different car but the handbook for our 2018 sportage says you can't tow with a  space saver so I sourced an alloy off e'bay and put a demo tyre on it the same as the rest of the tyres. It would be worth checking the Sorrento handbook

19 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

If the spare's size varies at all from the road tyres, then it is effectively a space saver as it's limited to 50mph just the same

Just checked and the spare is a normal 245/65/18 and the normal road tyres are 265/50/20.   Load rating is the same.   This should allow us to continue our journey as the tyre is not speed rated to 50mph and I don't think there is any legislation that states we need to stick to 50mph.   However to be on the safe side I would probably stay at about 50 mph until we reached our destination and then look for a new tyre.

Edited by Durbanite

15 hours ago, shipbroker said:

No this was a towbar comment not a spare wheel one, so source not the same.

geoff

Found it. .not Kia but BMW.

geoff

p. s However. .....to follow Kia theme Just pinched this from Kiaowners forum.

Kia Sorento Model year MY19

I have a 3 week old Kia Sorento GTS Line Model Year M19 and can confirm this has an Adblue tank at the rear and results in the car being supplied with a Space Saver Wheel. This is still fitted underneath the rear of the car. This is great but also causes an increase in costs to have a towbar fitted."

Edited by shipbroker

Check if the punctured full sized wheel will fit the under-slung carrier once you have used the Space-saver wheel.    Otherwise it will have to be transported inside the car. ........ IMHO  When towing it's best to have a full-sized spare.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Just checked and the spare is a normal 245/65/18 and the normal road tyres are 265/50/20.   Load rating is the same.   This should allow us to continue our journey as the tyre is not speed rated to 50mph and I don't think there is any legislation that states we need to stick to 50mph.   However to be on the safe side I would probably stay at about 50 mph until we reached our destination and then look for a new tyre.

It's illegal throughout the UK and EU to have tyres on the same axle of different sizes - space savers have an exemption but are limited to 50 mph.

Doesn't matter if both tyres are V-rated or whatever, 50mph applies.

Towing or solo, space savers aren't designed to complete your journey - they're designed to allow you to get the vehicle to a tyre repairer/retailer.

On 12/01/2019 at 11:57, Stevan said:

Mine didn't even come with a can of gunge. No space for a spare anywhere, even for a space saver, so the only alternative is runflat tyres.

On 12/01/2019 at 17:01, matelodave said:

My present S-Max has an underslung space-saver which should be enough to get me out of trouble.

Considering how rare getting a puncture is "enough to get me out of trouble" is enough reassurance for me solo or towing.

14 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Towing or solo, space savers aren't designed to complete your journey - they're designed to allow you to get the vehicle to a tyre repairer/retailer.

Thanks for the update but cannot find the legislation to support this unless I am looking in the wrong place.   However come to think of it probably not a good idea to continue with onward travel if the vehicle has fixed 4 wheel drive.