macafee2

13 pin socket wiring

pin 9 permanent live.   what is this used for? what would be permanent live?

what pin is battery charging?

macafee2

If nobody gets there before me. I'll give you the wiring diagram when I get home this evening.

I'm currently in Bradford; about four hours from my PC.

Gordon

it seems it depends on which web site I look at as to the colour code.

pink was not mentioned on one site and my earth colours were different

but still my op applies

thanks

macafee2

Have a look below.

Also the adaptor below uses pin 9 to charge my car battery.

20190111_100644.thumb.png.a550d3cae52c18628c152ec02b65db38.png

20181207_092629.thumb.png.42a4744971bd2ad6a1665a5b4a44039c.png

Edit. Should have mentioned the adaptor connects to my CTEK for car charging, 

Edited by Griff
Comment added.
  • Thanks 1

Pin 9 is permanent live and enables the van 12V system to run off the car battery. Also used to power ATC if you have it. MUST NOT be used for fridge or battery charging.(fridge can flatten car battery quite quickly and if the car starter tries to draw current from the leisure battery something is gonna blow!)

Pin 10 should be live only when the alternator is producing power.

Edited by Stevan
  • Like 1

Permanent live on pin 9 is used for a 12V supply to the caravan if the van does not have a battery or the battery fails and to charge the battery whilst towing.  The associated negative is pin 13.

Pin 10 (negative on 11) is only present when the car engine is running and the alternator supplying output. It is primarily for the fridge but in modern caravans when Pin 10 is active it switches a relay that disconnects the caravan battery from the caravan wiring and connects it alone to pin 9.

The reason why I don't leave the caravan plugged into the car overnight as I have been caught the next morning with a non starter battery . Only caught once but lesson learned and lucky still at home but just a bit of delay  setting off .

Dave

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

Pin 9 is permanent live and enables the van 12V system to run off the car battery. Also used to power ATC if you have it. MUST NOT be used for fridge or battery charging.(fridge can flatten car battery quite quickly and if the car starter tries to draw current from the leisure battery something is gonna blow!)

Pin 10 should be live only when the alternator is producing power.

I agree entirely, especially if you have ATC fitted as pin 9 supplies it with power.

It's also very important that the supply from the car battery to pin 9 is capable of handling high currents.   An ATC unit can demand quite a high current if it's called upon to apply the trailer brakes so the correct procedure is to wire it directly from the car battery with substantial wiring via a dedicated fuse (20 amps reccommended). Unfortunately most towbar fitters don't seem to be conversant with this simple rule, it's the most common cause of ATC unit problems.

Have a look at   file below. Copied from Caravan Talk a few years ago so apologizes to breaking any copyright regulation 

Beginners GuideTo Caravan Electrics.pdf

thank you. Why would you want to supply power to the caravan battery direct from the car battery even when car is not running? Great risk of flattening the car battery. I'd suggest a split charge relay in between car battery and pin 9 so caravan battery is only charged when engine is running and the same for the fridge.

thanks for the replies.

macafee2

7 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

thank you. Why would you want to supply power to the caravan battery direct from the car battery even when car is not running? Great risk of flattening the car battery. I'd suggest a split charge relay in between car battery and pin 9 so caravan battery is only charged when engine is running and the same for the fridge.

thanks for the replies.

macafee2

It used to be common practice for off grid caravanners to eke out the leisure battery by using the car battery for a few hours per day, topping this up during day to day driving. Jump starting neighbour's cars in the morning was just all part of the experience!

9 minutes ago, Stevan said:

It used to be common practice for off grid caravanners to eke out the leisure battery by using the car battery for a few hours per day, topping this up during day to day driving. Jump starting neighbour's cars in the morning was just all part of the experience!

oh. Not a practice I'm going to follow

macafee2

8 hours ago, Gordon said:

If nobody gets there before me. I'll give you the wiring diagram when I get home this evening.

I'm currently in Bradford; about four hours from my PC.

It looks like I don't have to add anything more as Griff has already explained the situation.

Gordon

• Like 1