kevsco

Part exchange

At the caravan show in October we agreed to part exchange our van for a new one to be delivered in March. The dealer wants us to handover our present van next week.  In the past we have always taken the old van in at the same time the new one was ready. Is this normal? What happens if the dealer ceases to trade before the new van is delivered. Any information from someone who has been down this route would be appreciated.

Thanks

I’d be keeping mine until handover day for the reason you’ve given. If the dealer goes belly up, you’ll have a world of pain getting your van/money back. If at all.

Plus, if you’re not happy with the new one for any reason, you’ve got more leverage.  

• Like 1

Have done this way without any problem,depends on who the dealer is.

However,the other changes were made on a one for one basis.

geoff

This happened to a number owners about 5 years ago that had put their caravans down as deposit and a lump sum of money as down payment on new caravan order and the manufacturer went under and they had problems . Once you sign over the caravan it is difficult as it becomes theirs to sell .

As said I would not let any company take the van till hand over .

Dave

I would not trust a caravan dealer on this one. If the dealer is intending to manipulate the part exchange value and new caravan selling price so that they get the VAT advantage (which is common practice so they get several hundred pounds VAT saving), and your trade in caravan has been sold or moved on already (also often the case so they can raise some cash) you will be unable to reject the new caravan if its seriously faulty. This happened to us when we bought our present caravan. The dealer pointed out to me that I was going to lose a lot of money if I rejected the caravan.

When we ordered our ne caravan we paid a £500 deposit on credit card!

When the new caravan was ready we took our Pursuit round to them to have the battery, mover etc swapped over! Nothing was signed!

On collection day our new caravan was there for our inspection! 

We agreed it was ok, and signed the papers transfering the Pursuit to them and paid for our new one! So the Pursuit was legally our caravan until that point!

Then we just towed the new one home!

53 minutes ago, PR1 said:

When we ordered our ne caravan we paid a £500 deposit on credit card!

When the new caravan was ready we took our Pursuit round to them to have the battery, mover etc swapped over! Nothing was signed!

On collection day our new caravan was there for our inspection! 

We agreed it was ok, and signed the papers transfering the Pursuit to them and paid for our new one! So the Pursuit was legally our caravan until that point!

Then we just towed the new one home!

You were lucky compared to our last experience. Well never buy another caravan because of it. We love caravanning and have camped and caravanned all our lives, but the industry is a money grabbing game now.  

I have zero trust in the dealers.  

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will be contacting the dealer and letting them know I will be keeping my van until the new one is ready for collection.

Although this is a well respected dealer who has been in business for many years it is not beyond the bounds of possibility they might run into financial difficulties between the time I gave them my van and the new one was produced.

Better to be cautious than sorry!

11 hours ago, kevsco said:

At the caravan show in October we agreed to part exchange our van for a new one to be delivered in March. The dealer wants us to handover our present van next week.  In the past we have always taken the old van in at the same time the new one was ready. Is this normal? What happens if the dealer ceases to trade before the new van is delivered. Any information from someone who has been down this route would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would tell the dealer, that it was not possible as you are going away in February to the NEC Show ans the van is needed as you have booked, that is an excuse that I would use.

No way would I give in to the dealers request as anything can happen in three months, also what if the new caravan is late, this does happen frequently, you only have to trawl through previous threads on this first class forum  

I would carefully check the T&C of the sales agreement before making any decisions. You may be contractually obliged to hand over the PX now. However, it does seem very strange this far ahead and what is their contingency for you if the new build is delayed and you were planning a holiday in it.

1 hour ago, kevsco said:

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will be contacting the dealer and letting them know I will be keeping my van until the new one is ready for collection.

Although this is a well respected dealer who has been in business for many years it is not beyond the bounds of possibility they might run into financial difficulties between the time I gave them my van and the new one was produced.

Better to be cautious than sorry!

We bought our last caravan from a dealer who had been in business for forty years and had a good reputation. He wanted us to hand over the caravan early but we refused. Six months after we bought our new one he went bust. If we had agreed and he went bust six months earlier. .....

In 40 years of caravanning we've had about 14 caravans, all bar the first bought from a dealer, and all bar the first bought brand new.   Other than the first, we've always traded-in the previous one, and NEVER have we given the 'old' one up before getting the new one.   Nor has the dealer ever asked for the old one before getting the new one.

In fact, it has been normal practise to ask the dealer on changover day, to park the new caravan so that the old one can be parked alongside it, door to door, and we've stepped out of the old one and into the new one, changing over our stuff.

Caravan forums are littered with tales of people who've had problems of one sort or another, DON'T do it!!!

Edited by Supatramp
spelling

we have only ever been asked to bring in the old 'van the week before to change over the motor mover.   

13 hours ago, Ern said:

I would not trust a caravan dealer on this one. If the dealer is intending to manipulate the part exchange value and new caravan selling price so that they get the VAT advantage (which is common practice so they get several hundred pounds VAT saving), and your trade in caravan has been sold or moved on already (also often the case so they can raise some cash) you will be unable to reject the new caravan if its seriously faulty. This happened to us when we bought our present caravan. The dealer pointed out to me that I was going to lose a lot of money if I rejected the caravan.

Perfectly correct and a dubious practice.   Dealers try and make out it is to your advantage when it is not as it benefits them more.  

I think it is also fair to point out that if in the unfortunate event you have to reject the caravan and get a refund you may lose out as the figures are different to what was stated on the original quote and can differ by a few thousand pounds.  

This makes it more difficult to get a full refund and you will lose out.   We had to claim the difference as compensation and that is not an easy route to take however we won at the end of the day!

OK. ...I too,now,would give reason of events already booked,so hard luck to them.

However, the one dealer that I did agree them having the van a month earlier,and who has been vilified on this forum as an Elddis seller, replaced the carpets and other cosmetic matters and put it on their forecourt,for sale, the afternoon I collected my new one.

geoff

Edited by shipbroker

You could ask the dealer to pay you for the trade in at the time you hand it over.   That way you are only risking whatever deposit you have paid on the new van.

• Like 1

No way would the dealer get my caravan until I pick up the new one. We use ours all year anyway. You wouldn't trade in your car until you can pick up the new one so why should a caravan be any different?

• Like 1

Have part ex many units (trailer tents, folding campers and now caravans), and never, once, has that happened.   We go on the day we pick up the new caravan.   There is no reason for the dealer to want the caravan this early.   What happens if he sells your caravan, you then go back to pick up your new one, and hey, there's something totally wrong with the new one.   No, DO NOT TAKE IN YOUR OLD CARAVAN until the new one is ready to be picked up

• Like 1

Having once traded our caravan for a new one at a dealership that ceased trading within seven days of the exchange, I would never part with my caravan until I had checked over its replacement and I was completely satisfied that all was well.

Had I parted with my old caravan and not receive the replacement, I could potentially have been thousands out of pocket as dealers do not always show the "correct" trade in value on their books as a way of minimising their tax bill, and any refund for "lost" property would be based on "their" book value, not necessarily on the agreed trade in value.

Keep hold of your old caravan until the day of changeover!

Gordon

• Thanks 1

We chose to let them have our van early in part ex, however I never thought about the prospect of them going out of business. I probably wouldn’t do it again, I’d keep the old one until change over day.

I have done it but I wouldn't now, anything to do with wheels seems to have an increased risk. I have just changed my car and I would change the caravan if it were time so I`m not suggesting anything other than its one risk you don`t need to take.

I would think that if the dealer has the part ex in so early, they have a buyer for it,It seems to be strange to want your van off you some 6 weeks early. obviously you are concerned as you have asked the question. why dont you ask the dealer why he wants it so early. tell them you have hols booked and still wanted to use it. after all its yours until the hand over

On 10/01/2019 at 08:30, Legal Eagle said:

I would carefully check the T&C of the sales agreement before making any decisions. You may be contractually obliged to hand over the PX now. However, it does seem very strange this far ahead and what is their contingency for you if the new build is delayed and you were planning a holiday in it.

Was this made clear to you at the point of sale or has it just been sprung on you ?

If this is the case now;then I would look for another dealer and or possible wait until the a local dealer has stock that they wish to offload with a discount or goodies or better still - both.

• Confused 1