LincsBob

Elddis front locker door - daft design!

We recently took delivery of a new 2019 model Elddis Affinity 574.   Love the van and the layout (the only manufacturer offing this layout) apart from the idiotic design of the front gas locker door, which only opens so as to still be horizontal with the ground.   This means you have to limbo down underneath the door to access anything, god only knows how less mobile owners are supposed to change gas bottles.   Dear Elddis; do you actually have someone go away to a site and test your designs?  Are any of your design staff actually caravanners themselves?  Do you even care??  Our previous Swift challenger had a door with one handle closure and opened to a much higher position.   The best design I've seen is the Lunar design where the door rises almost vertically.   Why don't Elddis bother to look at other manufacturers designs instead of making something that's much worse.   Muppets!!

• Like 1

:welcome:

Knowing that why did you buy it? On layout I'll guess.

I struggle with the gas bottle due to the locker door not opening fully.   Often wondered if it could be modified?

I agree it not easy changing the gas bottles or even putting small things in.  

I believe I saw somewhere that you can get longer struts which raise the cover higher .

Now that LincsBob  has reminded me I am going to have another look before I do myself a mischief. !

That’s interesting 

I’ve taken the stays off and prop the lid up with my rubber ended sweeping brush and a bungee strap to hold it down

Not the best look but much better 

This did put me off the Elddis/ Compass vans at the NEC last year. I am accident prone and the gas locker lock would be an accident waiting to happen unless I used a crash helmet:D

Adria also use the cantilever lid  I think

We have just ordered a new Elddis and talking with sales guy he admitted it’s not a particularly good idea and his suggestion was to disconnect the struts and use a broom handle!!

once I’ve taken delivery am going to look at different struts and see if I can anything that will be better and report back.

in the meantime mother in law will need to look for a new mode of transport as I will be nicking her broomstick👍👍

I find with ours that if i open it and leave it for 5 minutes it does ‘open’ further which helps even if only slightly as the pressure is relieved from the struts.

Do be careful with the locker door though, it is just an opaque  caravan window and is very fragile and incredibly expensive.

Windows (and so this locker door) are removed by opening them to over 90 degrees and they come out of the hinge bar (can only be done once struts are removed) so do be careful if you are going to remove the struts and open it wider that it doesnt release the locker door onto the floor!

The hinges on the Mistral locker door are not like window fittings and can not come off no matter how wide the door is opened

Edited by Watson(JohnG)
Spelling!

Hi, Affinity 550 2018 with the same silly front locker low opening height. Bought a kneeling pad to assist! Just fitted my 13kgs Repsol Spanish bottle into locker if seeking sympathy.  

Interesting to note complaints at shows causing sales issues. Keep pestering them or email HQ.

I think in due course the hinges / struts will receive a re-model or re-design to allow better access.

Wasn't it some of the Hymers who also have a cantelever type operation where the door goes straight up?  Think this was maybe to do with the continental units often having the bike rack on the longer A frame and so fouling the locker when on at stopovers. Seems to me to be needing a similar solution.   

Pics of locker door and hinges

image.jpeg

image.jpeg