Jmb1973

Looking for caravan upgrade

Posted (edited)

Hi guys. We're looking to upgrade our 4 berth elddis shamal to something with afixed bed, or at aminimum an end double bed dinette with over bunk. There's only 3 if us, 2 adults 1 child but we just can't quite find the perfect solution. The main thing we want is not to have to pull the front bed out as we find that a massive pain so leave a bed  out at the rear with a bunk for our 7 year old son. I'm not convinced by photos of those bunks though as there doesn't seem a lot of room for the person sleeping below it! 

Just now to my surpise i find the weinsberg caraone which Just looked perfect. Fixed bed and fixed  bunk beds at the rear. But the catch is I've read they're a monster and too long to tow by an under 3. 5t vehicle. Gah.  

I've also seen the fixed end bed and bunk opposite the kitchen but I'm not sure how practical that is i. e can you close that bunk off in any vans? Not see examples of that though I'm told you can pull a curtain around them? 

I've seen many 6 berth with bunks but, always  just a single at the rear next to the bunks  instead of a double. I guess it's a space issue? But does anyone have any other suggestions for what we need?  

Edited by Jmb1973

I can't help with the Weinsberg Caraone but I'm sure someone will be along soon with some details.

:welcome:

Gordon.

If budget and weight permit, a variety of manufacturers now offer 8’ vans with a layout which is best described as a French double bed to the rear, mid dining area/ double and lounge/ double (or two singles) - SuperSprite’s and various Compass/ Elddis models spring to mind but Bailey are now in on the act with the Pegasus.

There are three of us and the layout would be perfect although they tend to weigh in at 1800kg so you’ll need a beefy vehicle to tow them so an aversion to SUV’s like me won’t help!

At the small, second hand end of the market, you could look for a Sprite Musketeer. This has a bunk over a double ( both fold away to form a dinette but your could leave them set up for use a 3 berth).

I guess it depends on what you can tow and if you don't mind sleeping close to your offspring.

https://www. outandaboutlive. co. uk/caravans/articles/practical-advice/the-ultimate-guide-to-caravan-layouts

As you already have a caravan, you know about what you can tow. You also know your budget. So starting from there make a list of the things that you really want in a caravan, like a fixed bed. Although there are only 3 of you, will your son want to bring a friend? talking of your son, they grow so fast don't they, how long will a bunk bed be suitable for him.   I wouldn't look at foreign makes as some insurance companies wont insure them or they charge an extra  premium. Is there a large caravan dealer near you for you to check sizes of beds etc.