Sign in to follow this  
steverav1

hyundai ix35 2. 0 awd as a towcar

hi people

im looking at replacing my current towcar 09 plate ford kuga zetec 2. 0 awd for a 2012 Hyundai ix35 2. 0 premium awd the reason is the kuga is getting high on the milage and the interior features arnt that good. the Hyundai looks nice and has plenty of interior toys the weights for my van looks fine pretty much similar as the kuga I have a lunar quasar 1350kg mtplm

does anyone tow with the Hyundai and are they good and have they had any issues with them towing and solo

also what mpg do you get towing and solo

cheers

steve

Never had any issues towing with my 2015 2. 0 AWD. Rock steady up to the speed limit, and pulls fine in sixth gear on the flat with a van about the same weight as yours.

Solo, I average mid to high 40s mpg, and towing mid 30s.

With the 4wd, I’ve only had to use the diff lock once when pulling away from a pitch up a grass slope, and it worked perfectly.

We have a 2011 2. 0 FWD version as the company pool car, previous to that it was a sales rep car so done well over 100k. Still goes well and has been ultra reliable with everything still working perfectly. Understandably it is beginning to feel a bit tired now but i wouldn't hesitate buying a lower mileage one for my own use if in the market for that sort of car.  

Out of necessity i have used it a couple of times for towing my caravan which is a 1700kg TA, i wouldn't want to do it too often but it handled it okay so sure with you van it would have no problems at all.  

I have owned two IX35 2. 0 4WD manuals. One was a 2011 Premium and the last one a 2015 se nav model . Both vehicles were excellent tow cars purchased as pre registered vehicles and towing my Swift challenger at 1420 mtplm .

The only real problems I had with both vehicles  was water leaking into the cabin on the 2011 vehicle and into the boot on the 2015 model. This was sorted under warranty but did cause a lot of hassle at the time and was as a result of faulty body sealant.   Before you purchase check carpets front and rear for damp and around spare wheel well for any water.

I averaged about 40MPG solo and 26 to 28 towing, both vehicles were used for towing extensively in both UK and Europe.

The last one was traded in for a Tucson in November last year.

we've had a manual ix35 and a kuga  auto, both pulled the caravan okay.   Sorry I can't remember the fuel consumption, but OH never moaned about it so it must have been average for those types of cars.  

We did have a 2016 Hyundai IX35 2. 0 SE NAV 4WD 6 Speed manual 134 BHP.

Towing our 2005 Swift Signature 16/4 (challenger 500) loaded to around 1500kg and found it a comfortable tow car without a struggle either on hilly A roads or overtaking articulated lorrys on various motorways.

After using our powerful Kia Sedonna for so many years which towed alike a freight train I were concerned when we switched to the IX35 being a smaller lighter SUV as opposed a large heavy MPV vehicle but was pleasantly surprised. Cruise control was a nice extra which made towing with the IX35 a pleasure, but sorry I didn't log the MPG whilst towing.

We've since changed the IX35 to the later Tucson model that also tows exceptionally well throughout the gears without any concerns.

Matt.