Sign in to follow this  
Weekend Traveller

Best type of fasteners to use?

I have extended the right hand front bunk in my 2002 Bailey Pageant by removing the small cupboard which holds the stand alone table and a couple of slide out storage bins. I can stash the table in the bathroom wardrobe but I need to fit a couple of retainers to the rear wall of the caravan, to secure the table whilst  in transit.

I've never worked on caravans before apart from regular maintenance. I presume that the panels are some kind of laminated insulated panel, so some kind of load spreading fastener is required to secure things to the walls. Some items seem to be secured by screws others by rivets. any advice on what to use would be appreciated .

Posted (edited)

these were used in my old Pageant https://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Load-Spreading-Alumin-Pop-Blind-Rivets-LSR-4-8-Diameter-Chose-length-colour-/171362389759.   As far as I can remember the wall board was fairly soft and didn't take screws well. The rivets are a one-time use so you can't easily remove stuff unless you drill the heads out. They spread out three lobes which makes them imposssible to remove so you'd have to try and poke them into the void if you wanted to remove the fixing.

These are good if you want to remove the screws at a later date - I've used them to hold radiators onto wooden panels in my mates narrow boat https://www. screwfix. com/p/rawlplug-hollow-wall-anchors-m5-x-37mm-20-pack/99201. Just put an extra nut on the front and screw it up to help collapse the lobes then remove it and you've got a nice neat and very secure threaded insert.

These will also do the  job as they pull the rear nut up and mushroom the rubber insert out behind the panel https://www. toolfastdirect. co. uk/acatalog/Rawlnuts. html

Edited by matelodave

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Weekend Traveller said:

I have extended the right hand front bunk in my 2002 Bailey Pageant by removing the small cupboard which holds the stand alone table and a couple of slide out storage bins. I can stash the table in the bathroom wardrobe but I need to fit a couple of retainers to the rear wall of the caravan, to secure the table whilst  in transit.

I've never worked on caravans before apart from regular maintenance. I presume that the panels are some kind of laminated insulated panel, so some kind of load spreading fastener is required to secure things to the walls. Some items seem to be secured by screws others by rivets. any advice on what to use would be appreciated .

I am assuming it's not the weight this 'device' needs to carry - rather just to prevent movement.   What about something simple like hook and eyes into side walls and using curtain wire across the width of the table.   Alternatively glue a strip of wood across the rear and screw a couple of 2" swing downs into the board.

Edited by SamD

17 minutes ago, SamD said:

I am assuming it's not the weight this 'device' needs to carry - rather just to prevent movement.   What about something simple like hook and eyes into side walls and using curtain wire across the width of the table.   Alternatively glue a strip of wood across the rear and screw a couple of 2" swing downs into the board.

As far as I can remember the table in the Pageant was extremely heavy and I'd want it to be pretty secure to stop it becoming a missile or pulling the fixings out of the wall board.

We dont bother with the supplied table (it's in the loft) as we've got a roll-up aluminuim one which is much lighter and easier to stow - it rolls up into a bag and you can shove it under a bunk

• Like 1

The walls are probably thin plywood. If the above suggestions do not help then spring toggle bolts are good for hollow walls. However, the gap behind the wall has to be enough to take the length of the folded toggle and the hole in the wall has to be wide enough for the toggle to go through. Tying a bit of string to the ends allows the toggle to be removed, otherwise if the screw is removed the toggle is lost in the wall.  https://www. toolstation. com/spring-toggle/p53684

Posted (edited)

If you need the rubber rivnuts I can wholeheartedly recommend these   

https://www. amazon. co. uk/gp/product/B01AQO4K1O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Flat_at
Link didn't work

Thanks for all your replies, apologies for my late response. I ended up gluing a strip of wood onto the wall then using swing downs as per Sam's suggestion. Thanks chaps!