Sign in to follow this  
thebriars

Cowboy Dealers

Some of you will have followed our long and tedious saga of the cowboy dealer and the unfit-for-purpose Elddis caravan we had.

By a quirk of fate I have found out what happened to it. It was returned at the end of November with a number of structural failures together with a host of more minor problems. However even these more minor problems would take some time to sort out, such as replacing the Osio cushions, and replacing all the overhead locker doors. It is clear the van has not had time to be sent back for a factory repair. When I spoke to Elddis at the NEC they acknowledged our van was not the only one to have suffered roof failure, but at that stage they had not sorted out what caused it and how it would be repaired.

Our caravan has already been bought by someone else.   It appears the cowboys must have done a botch job and disposed of the caravan quickly to another dealer who thought it had been returned with finance problems. Clearly the cowboys were not going to sell it themselves knowing it would continue to have problems.

There really are some scumbag dealers around!

The above is common practice.   The caravan is sold on as is to some unsuspecting dealer by the finance house if it was on finance.   The new dealer is then lumbered with all the issues and the other dealer and the manufacturer get away scot free.  

In this case the dealer who sold on the ex-briars caravan has a very good reputation which may be tarnished due to the state of the rejected caravan when the consumer who bought it has issues.   Elddis may wash their hands of it as maybe the new dealer is not an approved Elddis dealership and the finance company could not are less as it was a B2B transaction.  

Our rejected caravan with over £4000 of repairs required was collected from us and then on a  dealer's forecourt the next day to be sold within a week to some unsuspecting consumer.   Basically if a caravan is rejected there should be some sort of record that it was rejected due to being in a poor state!

2 hours ago, thebriars said:

Yip. .. One of my New Year resolutions . ..to keep well clear from them. ... It's a sad world we live in unfortunately. ..

GAS . ..

3 hours ago, thebriars said:

Some of you will have followed our long and tedious saga of the cowboy dealer and the unfit-for-purpose Elddis caravan we had.

By a quirk of fate I have found out what happened to it. It was returned at the end of November with a number of structural failures together with a host of more minor problems. However even these more minor problems would take some time to sort out, such as replacing the Osio cushions, and replacing all the overhead locker doors. It is clear the van has not had time to be sent back for a factory repair. When I spoke to Elddis at the NEC they acknowledged our van was not the only one to have suffered roof failure, but at that stage they had not sorted out what caused it and how it would be repaired.

Our caravan has already been bought by someone else.   It appears the cowboys must have done a botch job and disposed of the caravan quickly to another dealer who thought it had been returned with finance problems. Clearly the cowboys were not going to sell it themselves knowing it would continue to have problems.

If you are certain of your facts (that, in no way, challenges your post) would it not help to write to the dealer informing him of your discoveries and copy that to the manufacturer?

12 minutes ago, SamD said:

If you are certain of your facts (that, in no way, challenges your post) would it not help to write to the dealer informing him of your discoveries and copy that to the manufacturer?

You really are joking? Why write to my cowboy dealer now considering  that when I rejected the caravan they would not even reply to letters, personal visits or respond to phone calls. As for Elddis they were equally hopeless, though they do at least reply.

However, I have complained to the Camping Club and the NCC as they both have them listed as preferred dealers. had a positive response from the C&C Club, but needless to say, nothing from the NCC. I've also left plenty of lousy reviews of them on those sites that allow it.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, thebriars said:

You really are joking? Why write to my cowboy dealer now considering  that when I rejected the caravan they would not even reply to letters, personal visits or respond to phone calls. As for Elddis they were equally hopeless, though they do at least reply.

However, I have complained to the Camping Club and the NCC as they both have them listed as preferred dealers. had a positive response from the C&C Club, but needless to say, nothing from the NCC. I've also left plenty of lousy reviews of them on those sites that allow it.

Unfortunately the people being described here don't give a damn. Why should they? 

Not quite, I received a very positive reply from the C&C Club and they did state they take member's complaints seriously and use these when reviewing their preferred dealer list which they do annually. they did point out they had removed 2 dealers last year.   We shall see.

Is there an original thread where I can find out which dealer to avoid 

almost brought a advante 840 mid July last  year, but noticed a sagging roof around the stargazer light, dealer said it was normal. When I explained it clearly wasn’t he shrugged his shoulders and said elddis were happy in was “within specification”. 

I shrugged my shoulders and walked away 

Chasstreet. ..you won't find any dealers names mentioned here in relation to this matter. ...However, you are in Ayrshire and it is a long way down the A1(M) before this particular problem arises. ....at a guess. ..........

geoff 

good Eve ship broker 

I think it’s a real shame we can’t name and shame these cowboys, but rules is rules gov

the dealer I was in discussions with was along way down the A1.  

Would surmise same one. ..pity.

geoff

Sign in to follow this