chris76

2018 buccaneer q's

13 hours ago, Vanning Man said:

Awning manufacturers make a number of standard sizes.  You will be lucky to find one that is EXACTLY the measurement you want. Taking your measurement of 1090, if you bought an 1100 awning it is only going to be 20mm longer than your exact length, over 1100 that is insignificant.

+1

Chris76 has not said if he is a dedicated tourer or long stayer.

We did not buy a full sized awning as it's far larger than 2 of us would need for touring with one or two week stops. If we were on a semi-perm or had kids and dogs it might be a different story.

There have been some S/H bargains in the full size department too with Isabella Commodore Seed types on EBay.

On 19/04/2019 at 12:30, GB1309 said:

just touring, weeknds and school holidays are the plan.

i really fancy a full size isabella but i was talking to someone last weekend and he said it takes them 2 hours  to set it up, which to me suggests at least a week stay would be required

Posted (edited)

What you see as “coming away” is merely a sleeve to carry the electrical feed to the pump. What you have linked to is NOT what’s required because, as it says, it’s just a sleeve. 

DONT buy the whole pump assembly (pump cable hose and plug) all you need is the actual pump, which is a lot cheaper. 

Search Amazon for “Seaflo 16 LPM” it’s a direct replacement and MUCH cheaper than the Whale ones (which are not known for their reliability anyway)

I carry one as a spare, dead easy to fit you just need to dismantle the plug that fits into the socket on the side of your caravan to connect the two wires, It’s a 10 minute DIY job.

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Thanks Andy,:Thankyou: I have just ordered a sealflo pump as a spare as I have already replaced my Whale pump once and don't really trust the new one now. Wouldn't like to be stuck on holiday in France if the current one packs in.

Ah I see, so the cable threads through one of the hoses and the water flows through the second via a new jubilee clip on the pump and then connect new cables on the square plug socket 

come to to think of it it still sounds like it’s running so maybe it’s something on the internal side

9 hours ago, chris76 said:

Ah I see, so the cable threads through one of the hoses and the water flows through the second via a new jubilee clip on the pump and then connect new cables on the square plug socket 

come to to think of it it still sounds like it’s running so maybe it’s something on the internal side

Spot on :)

A bit more investigation required then! 

At the cost of one of one of those “Seaflo”  pumps I linked too it’s worth getting one as a spare “just in case”I have a brand new caravan but I still bought one. 

Andy

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, chris76 said:

on another note, the external pump packed in at the weekend, it looks like the hose is coming away, would that be the cause?

if so is this what i need? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005NY5C60/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3LFTAAD2215H1&psc=1

thanks

faulty pump.jpeg

Are you sure that the pump is faulty?  On our Lunar we had a Truma pump and swapped it for a Whale as the Whale was more reliable.  We have not had any issue with the Whale pump on any of our Buccaneers.  Try cleaning the contacts.

Just tom add that when we had to use the Truma pump we always carried a spare just in case and just in case did happen.

Edited by Durbanite

not sure what happened, just went to use the tap on the last day,int pump was empty so i filled up and i couldnt get any water through, went to the external pump which was definately running, but no water.

cheers mr plod ill get one ordered, like you say its worth having as a spare if  mine turns out to be ok after all

12 hours ago, chris76 said:

not sure what happened, just went to use the tap on the last day,int pump was empty so i filled up and i couldnt get any water through, went to the external pump which was definately running, but no water.

Sometimes happens if you connect the pump to the van then put the pump in the water, it gets an airlock, best to put pump in water then connect to van.

Ian

I tend to put the pump into the water and then move it up and down a couple of times to try to remove any air locks. When I turn the pump on in the van I move the mixer tap from the cold position to the hot position a couple of times and it usually primes the system and the pump switches off when the tap is turned off.

I have known the pump sometimes not turn off so I turned the pump off at the main switch and then turn it back on again and it works. Just needs a bit of fiddling about sometimes:)

ok ill have a mess about with it, the dealer said they cant look at it till june and were off down wales next weekend, iv go the spare pump mr plod suggested, i'll i go to the storage yard this weekend with a barrell of water.

Agree with all you have be been advised above.

Don't know if you have the Whale IC auto pump shut off unit but if so that may need calibration.

The best way I have found of clearing an air lock is to switch to EXT which will fire water from the Aquaroll in to the internal tank. Just a few seconds is normally all it takes.

Finally. See the picture. The cable tie through the "shotgun tubing" is what I used to secure the water tube when it eased itself back off the spigot and allowed the pump to dump all the contents of the Aquaroll on the ground.

The pump alternative recommended by Mr Plodd is a good call. I presume if he has fitted one that he may have redone the Whale IC unit at that time? I'd guess that if the full and off load currents are the same as the Whale pump then the protection unit should be ok with it.

GB.

20190513_165957_Film4.jpg

Yeah I presume it’s the auto one as it’s supposed to switch off when full, so they regularly need calibration then? 

On 19/04/2019 at 12:30, GB1309 said:

+1

We did not buy a full sized awning as it's far larger than 2 of us would need for touring with one or two week stops. If we were on a semi-perm or had kids and dogs it might be a different story.

There have been some S/H bargains in the full size department too with Isabella Commodore Seed types on EBay.

Just bagged myself a Capri coal with carbon x poles from e bay😊

35 minutes ago, chris76 said:

Yeah I presume it’s the auto one as it’s supposed to switch off when full, so they regularly need calibration then? 

Just bagged myself a Capri coal with carbon x poles from e bay😊

Not regularly. Just once properly unless there are significant system changes which ordinarily there are not.

Well done on the awning! There are some real poled bargains out there at the moment as the air awnings continue in popularity. (Speaking as a been there, done that, so born again poler!).

Cheers.

GB.

Posted (edited)

Our roof light has started leaking in, there’s two small cracks on the plastic on the roof and it’s dripping through onto the bed🙄 

i cant resize and post a picture, but they are about  an inch each and are are at the top, inside the silicone line, and they are dripping inside the airated  bit.

I’m guest the whole thing would need to come out and replaced under warranty?

Is is there any repair I can make In The meantime?

i was thinking of using stormsure glue, it goes gloopy and is waterproof 

Edited by chris76

2 hours ago, chris76 said:

Our roof light has started leaking in, there’s two small cracks on the plastic on the roof and it’s dripping through onto the bed🙄 

i cant resize and post a picture, but they are about  an inch each and are are at the top, inside the silicone line, and they are dripping inside the airated  bit.

I’m guest the whole thing would need to come out and replaced under warranty?

Is is there any repair I can make In The meantime?

i was thinking of using stormsure glue, it goes gloopy and is waterproof 

This happened to us and noticed it when we went to the caravan on Wednesday.  No issue on the weekend when it rained quite hard.  As you can see quite a substantial gap.  We sealed the gap with bathroom clear sealant and have informed the dealership.  Taking it to them for a temporary fix while waiting for parts to arrive.

Rear skylight issue.jpg

Rear skylight issue1.jpg

Rear skylight issue2.jpg

That’s the same place mine is leaking from,although my cracks aren’t in the clear glass, they’re in the plastic frame on the roof, how are you managing to upload those photos, the site won’t let me do it from my I phone anymore and I can’t seem to reduce the picture size

Also the blade in my toilet isn’t opening fully, it’s not even getting to half way

im pretty sure the problem is on the toilet itself, iv tried wd40 on everything, everything seems to be operating fine on the cassette but leaving the cassette out Iv noticed the foot lever on the toilet itself doesn’t turn all the way to the left position  anymore, it more or less starts half way and then moves to the right of that makes sense?

anyidea what the problem is

10 hours ago, chris76 said:

Also the blade in my toilet isn’t opening fully, it’s not even getting to half way

im pretty sure the problem is on the toilet itself, iv tried wd40 on everything, everything seems to be operating fine on the cassette but leaving the cassette out Iv noticed the foot lever on the toilet itself doesn’t turn all the way to the left position  anymore, it more or less starts half way and then moves to the right of that makes sense?

anyidea what the problem is

Hate you say this but WD40 is one of the worst things to use on a cassette as apparently it attacks the rubber and the plastic making the plastic brittle.  Always use the Thetford silicone spray.  Maybe time to buy some Cassette cleaner  and let it soak in the cassette for a day or so to break up any nasties.  Fenwicks also do something similar at a lower price.  Then use the silicone spray for the blade.  If that does not work then time to strip it or buy another Fresh up cassette kit

no nasties mate,liquids only,lol

im pretty sure its do with the toilet itself,like i say the lever on the toilet wont go all the way to the left even with the cassette removed,thanks for the link iv put it my watch list

you can see where my crack has appeared,im going to have to come up with some sort of temporary fix

Skylight .JPG

in case it happens to anyone else stormsure glue fixed it

were going away for 5 nights next weekend trying to decide wether to take the isabella capri coal with us for the first time and if its worth the hassle, iv read anywhere from between between 30 mins and 2 hours to put up.

can anyone recommend what sort of awning  lights to get please, we dont have a clue what works best

13 hours ago, chris76 said:

in case it happens to anyone else stormsure glue fixed it

were going away for 5 nights next weekend trying to decide whether to take the Isabella Capri coal with us for the first time and if its worth the hassle, iv read anywhere from between between 30 mins and 2 hours to put up.

can anyone recommend what sort of awning  lights to get please, we don;t have a clue what works best

We have the Isabella Coal Magnum porch awning as a full awning is too heavy for us. Isn't old age grand?  As the evenings are light the awning light above the door provides more than adequate light as it is quite bright.  Even in the middle of winter the awning light was more than adequate.

I have a Kampa Sabre light. (It’s like a Star Wars light sabre) 

About a metre long fully enclosed polycarbonate tube, its a very versatile but of kit, 12 or 230 volt power supply, it comes with a pair of. S shaped hooks so it can be hung from any suitable point, and a couple of clips that enable it to be clipped onto an awning pole. It also has a remote control that varies the light output from 100% (VERY bright!)  down to 10%.

Certainly worth looking at. I think I paid about £35, not cheap but it’s a well made item and has given me a good few years faultless service. (We go away for 8-9 weeks at a time so it’s had a fair bit of usage) 

Andy

5 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I have a Kampa Sabre light. (It’s like a Star Wars light sabre) 

About a metre long fully enclosed polycarbonate tube, its a very versatile but of kit, 12 or 230 volt power supply, it comes with a pair of. S shaped hooks so it can be hung from any suitable point, and a couple of clips that enable it to be clipped onto an awning pole. It also has a remote control that varies the light output from 100% (VERY bright!)  down to 10%.

Certainly worth looking at. I think I paid about £35, not cheap but it’s a well made item and has given me a good few years faultless service. (We go away for 8-9 weeks at a time so it’s had a fair bit of usage) 

Andy

A friend now deceased had one of those lights and I have to agree with you.  We thought it a bit too bright for our porch awning but in a full size awning it would probably be beneficial.