Jump to content
chris76

2018 buccaneer q's

Recommended Posts

hi just had our first fantastic week away in our 2018  cruiser.  

 

just wondering is there any worthwhile  way of controlling the heating from our phone?  iv read about linking it up with sim cards but i don't really think that can be worthwhile, can it?   also i'm getting a truma aventa comfort air con fitted in a couple of weeks time and i keep thinking whether i should pay extra and have it linked up to the control panel? the guy doing the work didn't think it was worth it.

 

also iv bought one of those 80cm tripod sat dishes, i packed the q box from home just in case i had time to play about with setting it all up, but didn't bother in the end.

Realistically is it easy enough to tune in? And i can only see one connection on the outside of the van, so fair enough ill loose the recording facility but how do others manage? i'm guessing id have to move the q box from front to back bedroom as required? It would be nice to have the main box set up and be able to watch tv in either room without moving the box all the time or i could bring the silver box, but would i need to run hdmi splitters etc?

 

we've also got a few niggles which we'd like to be done under warranty, spoke to a few dealers tonight and i'm getting the feeling they don't want to know because we didn't buy the van from them

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best advice is always check if local dealers are willing to carry out warranty work, before buying new from a distant dealer. If no locals want to know you could be faced with long tows and high fuel costs going back to the supplying dealer for any remedial work. Also be aware that having other companies fit extra gear might provide the supplying dealer and/or the manufacturer with an excuse not to carry out warranty work for no charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser bought in October 2017 and think it is brilliant.   No real issues on its first service.   We have had the usual type of niggle but nothing serious.   There is also a Buccaneer Owners Group on Facebook and you can get some valuable advice there.   I am sure that you will enjoy your caravan.   Did you buy it brand new or second hand as rather late in the year for a 2018 caravan.   If second hand have you transferred the warranty if servicing has been done as per schedule?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

yeah i was posting on the wifes facebook account for some advice while we were away this last week

( i think im the only person left who doesnt have it:))

 

the warranty has just been transfered and its not due its first service till mid march.

 

the niggles we have is

 

both these definately need addressing-

the onboard water pump packed in for the last 3 days of our week away

the battery has packed in so i had to buy a new one for our trip (confirmed by two garages)

 

i could live with or fix myself the following-

the panel by the bed by the seat  is coming away from the frame, probably my 7 year olds fault who cant sit still,lol

no silicone behind bathroom sink

microwave not sitting square

kitchen sink has been fitted out of square to the worktop, not much but visible to the eye

doors need adjusting and a couple of hinges not screwed in properly

 

must admit i just had presumed it was like buying a car and you would get a local dealer to fix.  

Edited by chris76
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chris76 said:

 

 

must admit i just had presumed it was like buying a car and you would get a local dealer to fix.  

Yes when we bought our first new caravan,we also thought local dealer would do the warranty work. you could contact your local dealer but alot of the warranty work will have ceased in march anyway. but the major 1 is the damp protection. Also i doesnt have to be a deale rto get warranty work done it can be any Elddis aproved work shop. we have a local caravan hospital that done some of the warranty work. as it wasnt picked up withing the cra rules if i had a problem anyway,so let hospital repair it instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah theres one more garage i can try on monday.

 

otherwise ill just send photos into elldiss and see what they say.    

 

i must say the conversations iv had with elldiss iv been verty impressed, i wouldnt care im only half an hour away from the factory:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The battery is definitely under warranty and is an AGM battery.   Ours recovered okay after being left at 5v for several days.   The garages may be wrong about the state of the battery.

The caravan should have been built to take some abuse and a child fidgeting should not make a panel come loose. When doing the silicone for the bathroom, put some underneath where the drain pipe is attached.   The basin tends to swivel after a couple of months use.  

When tightening screws be very careful as they may have been over tightened during build and it is just mush inside where the screw goes in.   I was told that the screw needs to be removed and some gunge forced into the hold, left to dry and then the screw refitted.   Although it may be a simply case of tightening the screw sometimes it is best for the dealer who sold you the caravan to do the job.

Otherwise enjoy the caravan and maybe one day we will come across one another.   :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi mate, i found a garage  to do the work, but theyve bascially said its very doubtfull anything will be covered under warranty.

 

battery - i need to go back to yuasa and they will turn around and say it should have been charged every 6-8 weeks and i cant vouch for wether the previous owner did this

 

pump - possible under warranty depending on what the problem is

 

panel coming away - no but they will send a photo to elldiss

 

silicone behind bathroom sink and the kitchen sink out of square and microwave not sitting square in panel- nothing would be done 

 

i was told i would have to pay £51 for them to take a look so i booked my first service in at the same time as my two month either side starts next week and they may not charge me to look at the problems,lol

 

iv told them if theyre going to charge me not to do any work as im sure i can do a better job than when it left the factory,for example that panel should have been glued and braced better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a solar panel on the roof which constantly charges the battery.   If you have had the warranty transferred you should not be paying for any warranty work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, chris76 said:

hi mate, i found a garage  to do the work, but theyve bascially said its very doubtfull anything will be covered under warranty.

 

battery - i need to go back to yuasa and they will turn around and say it should have been charged every 6-8 weeks and i cant vouch for wether the previous owner did this

 

pump - possible under warranty depending on what the problem is

 

panel coming away - no but they will send a photo to elldiss

 

silicone behind bathroom sink and the kitchen sink out of square and microwave not sitting square in panel- nothing would be done 

 

i was told i would have to pay £51 for them to take a look so i booked my first service in at the same time as my two month either side starts next week and they may not charge me to look at the problems,lol

 

iv told them if theyre going to charge me not to do any work as im sure i can do a better job than when it left the factory,for example that panel should have been glued and braced better.

For a van of this age all should be covered by the warranty. Is you dealer not local, elddis may point you in the direction of another, or push for a factory repair.  

Who are you going for the service? Pm me if you want as i live in DL14 area

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2019 at 11:42, Durbanite said:

There is a solar panel on the roof which constantly charges the battery.   If you have had the warranty transferred you should not be paying for any warranty work?

apparanatly we should be removing them from storage and then recharging every 6-8 weeks,otherwise they wont be covered under warranty:rolleyes:

Edited by chris76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, chris76 said:

apparanatly we should be removing them from storage and then recharging every 6-8 weeks,otherwise they wont be covered under warranty:rolleyes:

Who said this to you as that is completely incorrect?  We never remove the battery as the solar panel charges it constantly so no issue with warranty.     Our caravan is kept in storage over the past year and sat through the whole of last winter with no issues.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guy who I booked the van in for a service/ warranty assessment, im dealing direct with Elldiss too, who I must say seem to be very good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im a bit unsure about the self levelling,i just seem to be messing about for ages with it.

 

if i pull up i seem to have put the jockey wheel practically as low as it will go.

then press auto, the legs all come down, but then you have to lift the side up manually so i can position the wheels right for the alko locks,then manually lower it back down.

do the middle jacks need to be right up so the grit doesnt get on the legs?

does the jockey wheel need to be up or down while the legs are down?

 

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pull up on pitch,HAND BRAKE ON. Turn jockey wheel until the front is lower than th back.(pitch level dependant)turn on handset,press and hold the n/s jack deployment until both wheels are off the floor. Then release hand brake. The jack will hold it in place. turn wheels until alko lock fit. Re apply hand brake . Retract all. then press auto level.

Then do the reverse for taking them back off.

retract all. deploy n/s jack until wheels off ground. release hand brake,remove locks. Reapply hand brake then retrack all.

simple

Edited by smino0_1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I have the van on the plot I raise the nearside wheels off the ground using the middle ram manually (pressing the hand symbol on the control panel), I then fit the locks and then lower the ram using the auto up button. I then press the auto level button and let the hydraulic system do its thing. The jockey wheel does need to be low so the front of the van is quite low or the auto system doesn't work.

I spray the rams with silicone  to keep them from corroding.

Don't think it matters if the jockey wheel ends up off the floor after the van is self level, but I still wind mine down so it just touches the ground.

 

HTH:)

 

Graeme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gmc15 said:

 

I spray the rams with silicone  to keep them from corroding.

 

 

HTH:)

 

Graeme

I'm  not sure its recommend to spray the ram with any type of grease. It only attracts dirt, grit etc. Best left dry and givern a occasional wipe with a dry cloth. (If only i followed my own advise)😁. In storage i leave the side rams up and the corner steadies down this apparently keeps the maximum amount of the shaft covered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cheers both them replies make sense now,but when the locks are fitted and im sat inside with a glass of peroni do the jacks need to be up or down? i guess it would help with the  awning if the van was as low as possible

 

 its in storage now with the jacks down, with all this bad weather im wondering if i should take them up, but not even sure what button to press,lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Chris when on site after fitting the wheel locks deploy the system in auto. This puts down all six steadies.   When in storage i personally don't deploy the 2 side steadies only the corner ones. I also purposely leave it either head up or down so water runs off the roof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been discussed a fair bit and I think it comes down to personal choice.

I jack it all manually for storage using all six and then spray all the exposed ram surfaces with Soudal Silicone spray. I have the centre rams down to reduce deformation of the tyres and I slope the van to the rear to prevent water pooling around the Stargazer skylight. I get a bit of water against the bar where the roof meets the rear panel but I reckon it's the lesser of two potential evils.

All upholstery and bedding brought home and "pumped out" using a dehumidifier in a store room.

GB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CraigP2005 said:

I'm  not sure its recommend to spray the ram with any type of grease. It only attracts dirt, grit etc. Best left dry and givern a occasional wipe with a dry cloth. (If only i followed my own advise)😁. In storage i leave the side rams up and the corner steadies down this apparently keeps the maximum amount of the shaft covered.

The manual says the rams should be sprayed with silicone lubricant if they remain extended for long periods to help prevent corrosion. I clean them before spraying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In that case i will get my spray can out. However i have always considered reading the manual to be a last resort and a defeatist. 🤣🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gmc15 said:

The manual says the rams should be sprayed with silicone lubricant if they remain extended for long periods to help prevent corrosion. I clean them before spraying.

I asked E&P up at the show and they told me this. Or grease them and then wrap in sacking if to be left for a long time. Pitting through rust is more of a worry than dust pick up IMHO.

Footnote to previous post:

I have also used axle stands under the front axle and then retracted the centre jacks. This puts a natural rear bias due to weight distribution in van which suits my rearward drainage preference.

Not been bothered to do it this winter though as never suffered any rust on rams and it saves crawling in the dirt!

GB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/01/2019 at 17:03, chris76 said:

 

 

the niggles we have is

 

both these definately need addressing-

the onboard water pump packed in for the last 3 days of our week away

the battery has packed in so i had to buy a new one for our trip (confirmed by two garages)

 

i could live with or fix myself the following-

the panel by the bed by the seat  is coming away from the frame, probably my 7 year olds fault who cant sit still,lol

no silicone behind bathroom sink

microwave not sitting square

kitchen sink has been fitted out of square to the worktop, not much but visible to the eye

doors need adjusting and a couple of hinges not screwed in properly

 

well considering the service centre was adamant nothing would be covered under warranty -possibly just the pump they said.

 

i dealt direct with elldiss who have been excellent and they have sent me a email saying a new pump is on its way and a new battery, key,new sticker on front of van and some silcone have just been authorised also.

 

im guessing they will just tell the service centre to screw and glue the panel back on,it doesnt need to be replaced in my opinion.   as for the kitchen sink nothing has been mentioned but i can live with it if need be

 

so happy days

Edited by chris76
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

spoke with elldiss, they have authorised the service centre to refit the kitchen sink so thats its square god knows how they will do that without causing any damage because im guessing its all siliconed in.       they said if theres any issues they would then replace the worktop

 

the panel has been authorised to be screwed back in, again thats not going to be as strong as when it was first left the factory.

 

i dont think i want them to touch the sink, im going to have to think about it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...