Jump to content
AndreatheAdria

Second battery for motor mover

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

Going to purchase a motor mover for our Adora 532UK but never have had one before so i know it's recommended to upgrade the battery but ours is already a 110 and we use a solar charger when it's in storage so are we ok with this or is it advisable to get a second smaller battery JUST for the mover ?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long is a piece of string?

 

Seriously, it all depends on how far you want the mover to move the van and what state the battery will be in when you get there.

If you want to negotiate a long uphill driveway after 3 weeks off grid then go for a second battery.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I charged  110Ah battery  should be adequate for normal maneuvering.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your battery is in good condition then no problem for normal motor mover use.

 

John

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a mover for 12 years working off the van's 110Ah battery and never had a problem so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Had a mover for 12 years working off the van's 110Ah battery and never had a problem so far.

Very similar to my experience with 110Ah batteries but don't run mine for more than a few minutes at a time.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never had an issues moving my TA 2000 kg caravan with a 110ah battery and I have a 1800 kg TA car transport trailer with the car and a Powertouch revolution mover fitted that only has a 70ah battery again no issues .

 

 

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait and see if it's a problem.

It probably won't be any problem at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all, (and sorry for the late post, forgot to put notifications on)

 

I'll just fit it and test it. It's litteraly to move the caravan forward about 12 feet and then a 90 degree turn as the caravans are stored quite close together in storage so it's to move it out from between the one's at the side and then swung to get it on the car. Obviously the same at the other end but the battery would be re-charged anyway by that point i suspect.

I also have a side note on the battery but i'll put that in another post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a fully charged 110ah battery the motor mover should run for over 4 hours continuously without draining the battery down to levels where it will damage the battery. Think you will be OK somehow. :D

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/01/2019 at 19:48, thebriars said:

With a fully charged 110ah battery the motor mover should run for over 4 hours continuously without draining the battery down to levels where it will damage the battery. Think you will be OK somehow. :D

 

 

I think you maybe slightly out with those figures. Our motormover has a 125amp fuse fitted.(not sure what the current draw from the motors are) but i would suspect higher than the 125 amp fuse So i wouldnt expect it to last 4 hours on a 110amp battery???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, smino0_1 said:

I think you maybe slightly out with those figures. Our motormover has a 125amp fuse fitted.(not sure what the current draw from the motors are) but i would suspect higher than the 125 amp fuse So i wouldnt expect it to last 4 hours on a 110amp battery???

The fuse has to cope with a starting surge which can be many times the steady running current.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the initial surge, motor movers use about 20 amp, so after 1 hour a 110 Ah battery will still be at over 80% state of charge.

Caravan Movers Online

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 125 A fuse is to protect the wiring TO the mover isolator switch and electronics box.   It has nothing to do with the expected current drawn by the motors.

Early movers had no protecting fuse!  (They do cause a, small, volt drop.)

 

https://www. caravanmoversonline. co. uk/pages/compare-movers. html has the max(short-time inrush/stalled motor) current and average currents for many of the movers on sale.   Some are much higher than others!

 

I'd take all those numbers with a pinch of salt, though, as the current will depend on too many variables (gradients, mass being moved, frictions).  However, I believe that the experience of users on here is such that most typical mover use is 'water off a ducks back' for a  battery in even just reasonably good condition.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when the movers  came out they used to say to have a larger battery which back then was the 110 ah, it's always been enough for us.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

The 125 A fuse is to protect the wiring TO the mover isolator switch and electronics box.   It has nothing to do with the expected current drawn by the motors.

Early movers had no protecting fuse!  (They do cause a, small, volt drop.)

 

https://www. caravanmoversonline. co. uk/pages/compare-movers. html has the max(short-time inrush/stalled motor) current and average currents for many of the movers on sale.   Some are much higher than others!

 

I'd take all those numbers with a pinch of salt, though, as the current will depend on too many variables (gradients, mass being moved, frictions).  However, I believe that the experience of users on here is such that most typical mover use is 'water off a ducks back' for a  battery in even just reasonably good condition.

 

Despite storing my caravan 130 miles from home without charging facilities I find that I can leave it in storage for up to three months, use the mover to extract it from storage, travel a couple of miles to a touring site unhitch and use the mover to pitch the'van including a 90 degree spin without any issues. I was able to carry out the above at the start of the Christmas break when the battery voltmeter was reading 11 volts due to a failed charger unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 12 years of having motor movers have never ever had power problems even after a week or so of non-EHU stay. ....only batterie needed all those years has been a couple for the remote control.

 

geoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×