Hi all,

I am referbing the bathroom in our 1996 swift, and encountered these. .. can someone tell me if they are screws or rivets please?  If they are rivets, how do I get them off without damaging the wall.

Thanks

Shower Screws.jpg

They look like pop rivets, in which case drill them out. Use a drill bit slightly larger than the hole through the middle, and the head will come off.

Thanks for this, I will give it a go this weekend.

Best wishes and happy new year

8 minutes ago, thewardlows said:

They look like pop rivets, in which case drill them out. Use a drill bit slightly larger than the hole through the middle, and the head will come off.

They look nothing like pop rivets to me.

Tri-wing security style pethaps? https://en. wikipedia. org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives#Tri-wing

A security bit set might have the correct size?

I will try that first, if not I will drill them out.

Thanks and happy new year

A pop rivet will still have the steel core inside it. It's the steel core that snaps off when the rivet is stretched, but not before it has flared out the other end of the rivet.

If they don't have a steel core, I suggest first try jamming a flat blade screwdriver in and twisting. They're unlikely to be very tight.

If that fails, I agree, drill them out which you'll have to do for a pop rivet anyway, but try the screwdriver first.

thanks for these responses. ..

Seems like overkill to me to not just use a normal screw to fit a shower holder to a caravan. .. They always have to make things difficult for us!:angry::P

38 minutes ago, thewardlows said:

They look like pop rivets

Yep, they do - drill as thewardlows says (don't go too far over the shank diameter) and the rivet head will end-up on the drill-bit. The remainder can be punched through but you can (rawl)plug the holes to reinstall the shower-head holder or use rivets again as the blind fastener is probably more secure in the wallboard.

I think you will find that they are tri-fold pop rivets. I have then in my 2010 Sprite.

They are probably like this where the rivet body collapses behind the panel into wide lobes, to spread the load behind the panel https://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Load-Spreading-Alumin-Pop-Blind-Rivets-LSR-4-8-Diameter-Chose-length-colour-/171362389759

they arent always ever so easy to dislodge even after drilling the head off as they can get trapped in the insulation behind the panel

• Like 1

Hi. .. so if I still them what will I see?  What will be left in the hole?

10 minutes ago, racingmars said:

Hi. .. so if I still them what will I see?  What will be left in the hole?

If you drill off the head then  there'll be the sleeve part in the hole with something like this squashed up behind the panel. I've seen them with longer lobes when squashed

image.png.c0491714a334caa71a805f5dee5bebd7.png

Are they difficult to get out? Or should I just leave them and fill the holes?

3 minutes ago, racingmars said:

Are they difficult to get out? Or should I just leave them and fill the holes?

Because of the way they open out they are impossible to remove from the front without doing significant damage. However, because they sit in the foam insulation they can be pushed below the surface and filled.

Thanks for all this. .. I will keep you posted on my progress. .. 

Hi all,

Thanks for all of your help and advice. .. they were pop rivets in the end.   I drilled off the tops, and they popped off dead easy.   The left over bits I just pushed into the wall and filled in.

Thanks again. ..