Room heater not working on Electric

LeeD

Hi all,

Newbie here and only been caravanning for a year. On my last trip the heater stopped working on electric. The fan still works though (and it's still working on gas).

Any suggestions what the problem might be?

And if the heating element needs replacing, how easy is that to do?

Thanks,

lee

There is a good chance that it is the heater element that is at fault, but, dependant on the type of unit there are other possibilities.

How old is the van and what type of heating unit do you have.

If you cannot identify the unit a few photos would help.

The fan works off 12V (I think) and the heater works off 240V. So were you on mains hook up and was the MCB tripped or OK?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

14 minutes ago, WispMan said:

The fan works off 12V (I think) and the heater works off 240V. So were you on mains hook up and was the MCB tripped or OK?

The fan does, indeed, only work on 12V. That's why it works when not on EHU.

I agree that the first thing to do is check the mcb hasn't tripped.

This assumes that you have switched the heater on correctly on the control panel (sorry if that's an insult, it's not meant to be)

Lee has a Bailey Pageant Auvergne 2000 so its fairly old and is unlikely to have a control panel that activated the heater.

On our 2009 Pageant we have a mains switch to switch the heater on and then a control knob to bring on 500, 1000 or 2000 watts and a dial for the stat.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

OP's profile says "Bailey Pageant Auvergne 2000" so it will be a Truma Ultraheat / Trumatic unit  (3002?) in all probablity.

First is to ensure mains power is on and getting to the heater - 

1)  MCB on the power distribution panel is Up/on

2) Switched - fused spur on wall near fire (check fuse is OK), switch in on position

Usually that is confirmed by the three position switch/thermostat control that lights green when switched from O (off) to 500, 1000 or 2000 and also produce an audible click of a relay in the base of the heater.   As should the thermostat switch as it is rotated from 0 (low temp) to 10 (high).

The relay board is a common failure point.   There are also some overheat thermal cutouts that give issues.   Heating element failure is much less common.

Google the faults / search this forum for more details. .. it's been well covered before!

Edited by Rodders53

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Have a read of this

It started off as a water heater problem, but as the heater switch is the same as the water heater switch, it may be the problem with yours.   Anyway, it's another source of possible  problems that need checking.   Happy hunting!

Bailey Orion News & Information -