Visiting Ireland advise please O wise ones

3 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I might be inclined to wait and see how Brexit pans out before I booked. ................ just to be sure to be sure! :D

Won't affect you.   Travel direct via France to Ireland and stay within the EU.

58 minutes ago, beejay said:

Won't affect you.   Travel direct via France to Ireland and stay within the EU.

Does he then return to UK and get a ferry to the lovely North then?

Perhaps not!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

On 06/01/2019 at 15:16, daveat92 said:

"bound by whatever EU instructs them.  "

Do you mean "the ROI will apply the rules the ROI has agreed with the rest of the member states should be applied to states outside the EU."?      Not quite the same thing as you said is it, but it more accurately reflects the reality.

"we use the same currency as well"   How does that work then? The ROI is on the Euro, whereas Northern Ireland is on the GB Pound. ....

I mean we use the same currency as the Uk.   Useful for our English visitors.

On 06/01/2019 at 16:44, Eddie said:

Same currency as the OP, not the ROI.

NI have their own £ notes and are same as Bank of England £ notes but I had to take my left over NI bank £ notes to my bank as shops where I live won't take them, they refuse Scottish £ notes too.

Thanks for all the replies 

ferry crossing £480

dog passports 2x£60. 00

rabies vaccine and check 2x£85. 00 

Now in all honesty £770. 00 before I’ve book a site for2 weeks and fuel is fairly steep.

decided on north wales instead.  

Willvisit Ireland without the dogs and book a nice hotel instead 

we went there some years ago. fishguard to rosslare ferry. drove rosslare wexford waterford,dungarvan,yuhgal to cork. lovely scenary . but 1 thing i do remeber was the way they drove. it was sort of 3 lanes and the midle lane was a free for all. drives in the middle lane always had there indicators on. then off when to the side lane. but it did work well.

From Scotland its an easy and relatively short ferry to Belfast or Larne. You can easily tow the caravan up the Antrim coast road (NOT TORR HEAD!!!!!) and a great overnight stop would be Cushendall. There is a great costal walk to the North which turns into a narrow cliff top path after about a mile.

There is the Bushmills Distillery, and Giants Causeway, Carrick -a-reid rope bridge so your next stop could be Ballyness caravan park (famous and VERY booked up so book early a bit pricy but very nice and has its own on site dog walk field as well as a lake (ok large pond!!) walk. Its a decent walk into the village as well.

Then as you keep along coast you have Portrush, Coleraine, Castlerock and then on out past Benone. Could we recommend Hillfoot caravan site near Limavady (VERY small at the foot or a massive hill with a stunning view from the top (well worth the walk, no much of a path so stout boots needed. Site entrance off road is tight if its a very large van so take care (we have a Pickup and 7m van so most can make it). The owner has lived there all his life and is full  of some great yarns and local history. The facilities are spartan but adequate.

After this is into the wilds of Donegal, great coast but not great roads. I am not as familier with this part so will leave those more knowledgable to fill in from here. BUT keep on left then down the west till you get to Killarney. The beauty with Ireland is its NOT really that big so you CAN do it all if you want.  

ALL the Irish, both North and South are famous for their hospitality (apart from a few rougher inner city areas which you should really not be near in a caravan tour anyway.

Good luck and maybe meet you on your travels as you may be able to tell we are from N. Ireland and have been at the sites I have mentioned.

. .............and if you sail in and out of N. Ireland, you don’t need pet passports! Just your ferry price and fuel costs the same as anywhere else in the UK!