Sign in to follow this  
Chasstreet

Visiting Ireland advise please O wise ones

Planning on visiting Ireland later in the year for a couple of weeks. Bit of advise as to where would be the best place to stay.  

We want to do the main tourist bits, and can’t decide if north or south would be best.  

The dogs will be with us, so plenty of Walkies  needed.

Suggestions please !!!!,

Posted (edited)

I will watch with interest as I will be looking at a 6-8 week tour of Ireland this year myself  with my dog.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

After Brexit? :ph34r: 

Posted (edited)

Ireland is Ireland and treat it as one,while you can.

When are you looking to go?... as many of their sites don't open till Easter onwards and close by mid-September.

Plenty of dog walking available.

Will have a think and revert from time to time with ideas. ..

https://www. camping-ireland. ie/map

geoff

Edited by shipbroker

Suggest you buy the book.

IMG_0556.PNG

3 minutes ago, Ern said:

After Brexit? :ph34r: 

Shouldn't matter. ...the Irish will still be there.

geoff

South and West, the coastal areas from Donegal down to Cork are all pretty wonderful to see.

The North has beautiful scenery too, but there is so much more to see on the west coast, roads are not that good anywhere  on the scenic routes to be fair, so add extra time for everything.

Thanks for everything so far

looking to go over ( live in west coast of Scotland) in June time.  

Guessing weather will be pretty similar to the west coast of Scotland, slightly damp on more days than not.  

Good time to go.

geoff

Having spent two weeks in SW Ireland in July a few years back, be prepared for "the soft"... the reason Ireland is called the Emerald Isle, is that it's green, and it's green because it's wet.   Having said that, it's a gorgeous step back in time, where the pub will sell groceries, or the village shop will be in someone's front room.   Obviously we did coastal places, Youghal, Oyster Haven (near Kinsale), Castle Townsend, Barlogue Creek, Crookhaven, and Castletown Beare…  I'd love to go back with the caravan

We had a couple of weeks over there in 2013 and had a wonderful time.   Have a look at   our blog    for sites and pictures to whet your appetite.

Take an umbrella !

It's wetter even than the UK, but is still nice.  

An Irishman once described the country as "like an upside down pudding basin", with the middle being flat, and the coastal areas being hilly.

Culturally the North is a lot different to the South, but both are well worth seeing.

i'm in the north and have at least one long weekend away every month, some really beautiful and interesting places with a great road infrastructure, and we use the same currency as well :)

the south is also beautiful but has shocking roads for access etc.

if you want to come North, i can certainly recommend places that are dog friendly if you want

Robbi

Like Scotland, beware of midges on the west coast.   Take precautions to avoid being a blood donor!

Some excellent sites in RoI, there's a helpful guide issued by the tourist board. Not cheap by U. K. standards!

Just a further word on Touring Ireland I found a series of videos from " Herman the Hymer "show his Ireland tour a few weeks ago interesting .

Dave

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 18:22, shipbroker said:

Shouldn't matter. ...the Irish will still be there.

geoff

Yes I agree with that, and we can say exactly the same for the French people when visiting France. The authorities in ROI will be bound by whatever EU instructs them.  

4 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Just a further word on Touring Ireland I found a series of videos from " Herman the Hymer "show his Ireland tour a few weeks ago interesting .

Dave

Some years ago we actually rallied at Bushmills,with CMC Ulster Centre,prior to Irish National in Armagh. We got a trip around and a bottle with our rally name on it. ....memorable for 4 seasons in one day weather.

This year (Easter) the Irish National will be on Killarney Racecourse,which should be good. ..pre-National at Ferrybank in Wexford,which is a site I don't know.

geoff

4 hours ago, Ern said:

Yes I agree with that, and we can say exactly the same for the French people when visiting France. The authorities in ROI will be bound by whatever EU instructs them.  

"bound by whatever EU instructs them.  "

Do you mean "the ROI will apply the rules the ROI has agreed with the rest of the member states should be applied to states outside the EU."?      Not quite the same thing as you said is it, but it more accurately reflects the reality.

15 hours ago, Robbido said:

i'm in the north and have at least one long weekend away every month, some really beautiful and interesting places with a great road infrastructure, and we use the same currency as well :)

the south is also beautiful but has shocking roads for access etc.

if you want to come North, i can certainly recommend places that are dog friendly if you want

Robbi

"we use the same currency as well"   How does that work then? The ROI is on the Euro, whereas Northern Ireland is on the GB Pound. ....

1 hour ago, daveat92 said:

"we use the same currency as well"   How does that work then? The ROI is on the Euro, whereas Northern Ireland is on the GB Pound. ....

Same currency as the OP, not the ROI.

• Thanks 1

If you are travelling from Scotland into either Belfast or Larne you simply have to do the Causeway Coast route towards Giants Causeway, voted best road trip in the world by Lonely Planet and is simply stunning with good roads! You can head North, lots of great Campsite’s, then head over the border to Donegal, roads aren’t as good but scenery is again stunning and you will have the ‘step back in time’ experience-beaches are world class and virtually empty!

https://www. ireland. com/en-us/destinations/northern-ireland/county-antrim/articles/belfast-causeway-coast-lonely-planet-2018/

1 hour ago, Rikster said:

If you are travelling from Scotland into either Belfast or Larne you simply have to do the Causeway Coast route towards Giants Causeway, voted best road trip in the world by Lonely Planet and is simply stunning with good roads!

I would vote it the same,brilliant views.

geoff

Its not clear whether you are taking the caravan or not.

If you are, check the ferry prices, they are ridiculously high.

We went June 2016, and prices were initially close to £600, out from Stranraer, back into Holyhead, but an offer in January brought that down to around £350.

All ferry fares for caravans are not cheap. We have been going to Ireland for over 15 years and we hardly see any Brits with caravans on the ferries. . We also take as much food as we can, as  supermarkets are not cheap. Although  we do frequent them to see what different things they sell to the UK. And yes we do spend our Euros.

The roads are not all that good in places in Southern Ireland, so if you do take your caravan make sure everything is secure.  

Ireland is beautiful, both north and south, It is indeed a step back in time. Embrace it and the people.  

The Guinness is :), nothing like in the UK.  

Jill

I might be inclined to wait and see how Brexit pans out before I booked. ................ just to be sure to be sure! :D