frazerg

Scottish Holiday

47 minutes ago, burstneraddict said:

LTC.   You mentioned, that you plan to go to Arisaig.   I recommend that you book whichever site that you hope to use.   The area has become incredibly popular in the past couple of years with all the sites full.  

We never got to see the sunsets as many of the sites had very long term stayers. ..so booking essential, well said.

geoff

8 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Whilst I agree with the need to be flexible, we've had dry weather on every Scottish holiday bar one - "good" doesn't exclude a single wet day in my book, nor windy days - the exceptional holiday was a fortnight in May on the Western Isles (Outer Hebrides) when it rained constantly and the wind never dropped below moderate gale force 7 and peaked at storm force 10.

A quick look at a climate map of Scotland shows the west is wet, the east is dry - but that's only about averages.

I have lived just outside Edinburgh for 71 “summers” as you state generally speaking the west is wet and the east is dry(er) but there are significant local variations eg The Forth area is bedevilled by the dreaded sea fog which while being local can drift around for a week! 

Of course on the upside Aberdeenshire can have so little rain in the summer it can have the only hose pipe ban in the UK-never mentioned on the national news of course😀

I have experienced non stop rain and high winds for 3 weeks! on Kintyre and a few years ago the winds were so strong in late spring all the trees for the whole length of Kintyre shed their dead leaves.

No matter how bad the weather gets the warmth of the west highland welcome always beckons us back every single year.

There is no finer life experience for me than sailing a canoe sterned wooden sailing boat designed in the 30s with a full length keel on the west coast of Scotland-the people you meet-the adventures to be had-the scenery-the wild life.

Unfortunately my fragile 71 year old body is up to the job no more so it’s gin palaces with engines en-suites-flying bridges-central heating and worst of all engine propulsion for me.

On 8 January 2019 at 21:06, blondchaser said:

As posted previously, the road up out of Glencoe is totally not fit for purpose. Last time I came home from Glencoe I followed a fully laden artic up the drag. The super single rear tyres of the trailer were, on some parts, only 50% on the tarmac and 50% overhanging the bog. Ma hert wis in ma moo and another part of anatomy "Twitching", just waiting for road to give way and whole rig to go over on it's side. No lorry driver should be put in that situation.

It's a miracle that there are not more serious incidents on this stretch of  farm track

Eh ? When was the last time you were oon the 82 BC ?  Used to go up and down that road from Harthill to Mallaig two sometimes three times a week in a six wheeler with Co Op and recently took a fully laden 18 toner to Kinlochleven full of Coils and concrete sections no issues. Road is fine but there has been very recent upgrades. Only issue I had and still have is Johnny Foreigner at peak season . .. 

GAS . ... 

Coils & concrete to Kinlochleven??? Are they building a new smelter??

Kinlochleven is badly let down by STB. The place is full of history but the tourist industry has done nothing to develop it.

Great shame.

8 hours ago, blondchaser said:

Coils & concrete to Kinlochleven??? Are they building a new smelter??

Kinlochleven is badly let down by STB. The place is full of history but the tourist industry has done nothing to develop it.

Great shame.

Wee housing development with fantastic panoramic views. .... Aye it's a dreach wee village well past the "Glory Days". Doesny matter if the sun is out still looks dreach. Cycled the Kinlochleven loop. Smashing wee run round Loch leven with a bumper of a hill into the village. ..... 

GAS . .. 

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh

17 hours ago, burstneraddict said:

LTC.   You mentioned that you plan to go to Arisaig.   I recommend that you book whichever site that you hope to use.   The area has become incredibly popular in the past couple of years with all the sites full.   Our friends who live there warned us not to come down without booking as we had done in the past.   

Thank you. I intend to as soon as I am sure that there will not be a trip to France this year in the spring. That, to me, is one of the main drawbacks of holidaying in this country that you cannot be spontaneous.   We are going somewhere for six weeks or so and I love the idea that if I like somewhere I can stay an extra week and if I don't like it move on the next day. However I appreciate that if I want the best sites I need to book them.

7 hours ago, LongTimeCaravaner said:

Thank you. I intend to as soon as I am sure that there will not be a trip to France this year in the spring. That, to me, is one of the main drawbacks of holidaying in this country that you cannot be spontaneous.   We are going somewhere for six weeks or so and I love the idea that if I like somewhere I can stay an extra week and if I don't like it move on the next day. However I appreciate that if I want the best sites I need to book them.

Yes those days are long long gone up here in Bonny Scotland which is of course good for the remote local Scottish economies ignored by our Parliamentarians in Scotland and Parliamentarians elsewhere😀

Its been at least a decade since our favourite site Killegruer has had the best pitches on a phone a week in advance basis-mind you all tourers and motorhomes get a to die for sea view and (hopefully) stunning sunsets.

Most tourers on the best pitches are there all season.

20 hours ago, ancell said:

Yes those days are long long gone up here in Bonny Scotland which is of course good for the remote local Scottish economies ignored by our Parliamentarians in Scotland and Parliamentarians elsewhere😀

Its been at least a decade since our favourite site Killegruer has had the best pitches on a phone a week in advance basis-mind you all tourers and motorhomes get a to die for sea view and (hopefully) stunning sunsets.

Most tourers on the best pitches are there all season.

As you know Ancell been many many times. Was going there before the new toilet block was built and that's been up a few years now. .. Many, many a laugh being friendly with locals in their statics.  First time with my van in 1987. Used to camp before then. Too popular for me now. Many a time we would just turn up and pitch up. Not know . ...

Quite fancy Dunaverty down in Southend but again very difficult to get a seasonal pitch. Would say a far better location but a bigger site.  Maybe having a 2 berth they may squeeze me in somewhere who knows ?? 

GAS . ..

4 hours ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

As you know Ancell been many many times. Was going there before the new toilet block was built and that's been up a few years now. .. Many, many a laugh being friendly with locals in their statics.  First time with my van in 1987. Used to camp before then. Too popular for me now. Many a time we would just turn up and pitch up. Not know . ...

Quite fancy Dunaverty down in Southend but again very difficult to get a seasonal pitch. Would say a far better location but a bigger site.  Maybe having a 2 berth they may squeeze me in somewhere who knows ?? 

GAS . ..

Of course some-like The Wife and I-always get one of the best pitches.

Returning for 2-4 weeks every year for 30+ years gets privileged treatment on the Scottish west coast.

Back again this year for 4 weeks-it will fly by-yet again😀

21 hours ago, ancell said:

Of course some-like The Wife and I-always get one of the best pitches.

Returning for 2-4 weeks every year for 30+ years gets privileged treatment on the Scottish west coast.

Back again this year for 4 weeks-it will fly by-yet again😀

Will do my best this year to pop in and finally meet the face behind the words . ... :)

GAS. ...

1 hour ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

Will do my best this year to pop in and finally meet the face behind the words . ... :)

GAS. ...

Here we are in January am already champing at the bit to be off on our first outing-usually Kiliegruer in April/May The Wife(Boss) has not decided exactly when we will go-stressed by 8 weeks of  her demented 94 year old mum with us-I suspect-8 weeks still to go.

I will get a 2 week break on Gomera Valle Gran Rey March/April before Kintyre.

Fresh King scallops&Stornoway Black pudding bring them on😀.

I will PM you our Kintyre dates when The Wife makes up our 2019 annual plan.

Love that part of the world, it's a fantastic trip that you've planned. I would agree with the previous comments, add extra time for the parts of the route where you have to slow down. It's worth considering that you may want to stop now and then to enjoy the view - when the weather is good, you can get some stunning scenery along there.