Installing a radio Swift Conqueror 630 2008

I want to instal a radio in my  conqueror 630. Ex my car. LH Top front locker behind 230 volt lighting has a supply for this. I am looking for an aerial connection close by. I notice on the RH side there is an aerial wire connector. Can this be used? I hope to use the existing FM  supply.

Has anyone done this - could you give me a few tips before I run great lengths of cable back towards the aerial that doubles as the TV supply. I see it has a FM supply outlet.

cheers 

Kevin  

Edited by Kevin Roughton
update

A 12v DC car radio from 240v AC ?

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

Swift group usually have a car radio position with ISO connector for the DC supply and Loudspeakers.   It sounds like you have found this position which is close to the mains light and one of the speakers.

Typically they (at least used to) have an AM/FM (and DAB) aerial on the sidewall of the caravan (similar if not identical to this Ring model) which would have a car radio aerial plug on the cable (and needs a 12V supply to work, but should be pre-wired into the radio cable harness by Swift).

An adaptor for the aerial plug may be required as there are variable standards on car radios.   http://www. caraudiodirect. co. uk/accessories/aerial-adaptors

I'd advise against using the Status TV aerial as a feed to a car radio. ..  Most TV transmitters are horizontal polarisation and radio signals (DAB especially) are vertical. .. plus if the radio has AM and you want that the Status just doesn't work.

• Like 1

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

The only problem I had with the Swift set-up in my 2005 Sterling was that the radio had to be reset and tuned every time the 12v supply to the rest of the caravan was turned off. To keep the radio memory I installed a permanent live direct from the battery (1 amp fused) to the radio, yellow connection on the Sony radio harness I seem to remember.

Also make sure the 12v connections to the signal booster in the aerial are made.  

John.

• Like 1

It might help if the OP explained a bit more about what he is trying to do. Is the intent to replace an existing radio with the one from his car, or (for some reason) the caravan is not fitted with a radio and he needs to install one?

Secondly how is it intended to use the radio? Is at an AM/FM unit or a FM/DAB unit (possibly with AM?) If the intent is to use it with FM only then a cable from the existing TV aerial amp will supply all that is needed. If the TV aerial is a modern Status 500 series and a Vision 3 amp or similar is in place then it will work with DAB as well, but said TV aerials will NOT work with LW/MW. Note also that DAB is vertically polarised so if the  aerial is being used from a horizontally polarised TV transmitter, DAB will suffer.

The small telescopic on the outside wall of the caravan (as made by Ring or badged by Vision) will work with LW/MW and FM but they have yet to advance to being able to work with DAB (the aerial is amplified and the amp does not work at DAB frequencies.)

Many caravan manufacturers fit JVC 'infotainment' units for the simple reason that JVC units do not forget the station memories when powered down completely. Most car radios require a memory support supply which over time will flatten the caravan battery even though they only draw microamps. If the power supply is switched off then everything is forgotten. There is also an issue if the radio is from a VAG vehicle (i. e. VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda) as these radios power the aerial amp up the co-ax, not from a separate (usually switched) supply feed from the radio.

If the OP can give us significantly more info we will be able to give more help.

• Like 1

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

7 hours ago, David Park said:

A 12v DC car radio from 240v AC ?

7 hours ago, Kevin Roughton said:

I want to instal a radio in my  conqueror 630. Ex my car. LH Top front locker behind 230 volt lighting has a 12 volt supply for this. I am looking for an aerial connection close by. I notice on the RH top front side there is an aerial wire connector. Can this be used? I hope to use the existing FM  supply.

Has anyone done this - could you give me a few tips before I run great lengths of cable back towards the aerial that doubles as the TV supply. I see it has a FM supply outlet. We don't have DAB in New Zealand so  only after the FM stations. Thanks for your interest so far. :)

cheers 

Kevin  

13 hours ago, Kevin Roughton said:

Ah, that clarifies it somewhat. There was nothing of your second paragraph in your original post visible here.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville