Sign in to follow this  
Mr Plodd

Is there any point extending the 6 year water ingress warranty?

1 minute ago, DeeTee said:

Mr Plodd

Perhaps you should have read the T&Cs before you bought the caravan from Bailey-not afterwards?:rolleyes:

Indeed your present interpretation, above, would seem to rule out warranty against damp on the not permanently sealed joints.

Many years ago Bailey had a very valuable presence, similar to Truma and Whale, on this forum with a dedicated staff member dealing with queries. This service stopped when it became overun by trolls who would presumably aim to cause "consternation here (Tee Heee!)" The trolls left the forum but unfortunately Bailey did not return.

DeeTee

I am very conversant with Bailey’s T&C’s as I traded a Bailey in.

As for the untreated edges that’s not something many people would spot at a showroom is it?? I doubt many would get underneath a new caravan to see what’s there anyway.  I have invested a lot of my hard earned in this caravan and I want to ensure I have as few problems as possible during my ownership. 

I am just somewhat concerned that my new purchase COULD be vulnerable to water ingress due to sloppy workmanship at the factory, and if so any warranty claim could be refused. Hence me asking the (possibly awkward) question of them. I don’t consider that as trolling, do you??

Andy

Reading your quote, particularly this bit " arises as a result of water ingress through any permanently sealed seam or joint"

Now if it was "permanently sealed", how could water ever get in there, by definition it is  then sealed?

Surely, the issue comes only when it is no longer permanently sealed, so then outside of the T&Cs? ;)

Not sure they mean what they said.

Edited by JTQ

20 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I am very conversant with Bailey’s T&C’s as I traded a Bailey in.

As for the untreated edges that’s not something many people would spot at a showroom is it?? I doubt many would get underneath a new caravan to see what’s there anyway.  I have invested a lot of my hard earned in this caravan and I want to ensure I have as few problems as possible during my ownership. 

I am just somewhat concerned that my new purchase COULD be vulnerable to water ingress due to sloppy workmanship at the factory, and if so any warranty claim could be refused. Hence me asking the (possibly awkward) question of them. I don’t consider that as trolling, do you??

Andy

Presumably your previous Bailey was perfectly sealed against water ingress?:rolleyes:

Well after TWO reminders I am STILL waiting for a response to my questions contained in the last post but one on the previous page.

I’m not going to let it rest though.

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • I do not understand 1

Yet ANOTHER “Fob off” !!!!

I understand that you believe our floor panels are treated during the manufacturing process and I can clarify that this is not the case.

I trust this clarification has been helpful.

Regards

At least they have confirmed they DONT treat the floor. I haven’t given up on them yet, see below.

1. Can you please confirm that should, at some future point, the floor of my caravan suffer the dreaded “damp” around the various holes that have been cut through it, by you, at the construction stage, AND left totally untreated,  I will still be covered by your water ingress warranty? The reason for my asking is that the wording of the warranty clearly states that only “permanently sealed joints” are covered. These holes are clearly NOT permanently sealed (or indeed sealed at all) joints and as such you are saying that any damp issues around those holes will not then be covered under warranty? 

2. Likewise if, as you say, the underside of my caravan has only “been painted with emulsion” what is actually protecting it from any water being thrown up underneath soaking into it? It’s clearly NOT waterproof plywood, or is it?? 

3. Has my caravan actually been “sealed” with anything at this join or do you just rely on the overlap of the sidewall over the floor preventing water ingress? What about any water that is thrown up against that joint whilst being towed?

I have invested a considerable sum of money in this caravan and I am now VERY concerned to  learn that the  plywood  floor has NO form of protection against water ingress  other than a quick coat of ordinary emulsion. Is that correct?

I would be grateful for a detailed response to each of the above concerns along with confirmation that (any possible) water damage that occurs around the untreated holes in the floor WILL be covered under the terms of your warranty.

Good questions however I think it applies to all caravans.  Strangely in most advertising literature on any brand they normally state "10 year warranty against water ingress and body integrity"  and there is no mention that the warranty only applies to sealed joints.  You only find this out when you read the owner's manual after you have purchased the caravan. 

I wonder if this is false advertising as it helped you make a decision to buy that particular caravan as opposed to another brand?  I wonder what the Advertising Standards would say about this type of misleading advertisement?

Never mind the floor as I don't think they seal the lockers, windows or doors when the wood is "exposed" and only has a removable covering.  Taking into account the price you pay for any caravan one would expect them to put some sort of sealant where the wood grain is "exposed". before it is covered by rubber etc.  Windows are the most likely area where you will see damp!

I have a four year old Bailey stored in France and don't bother with servicing to keep up the warranty. The last time I used the Bailey dealer in Chesterfield to service my caravan, the monkey who entered the caravan, left me some oily footprints on the carpet to remember him by and I decided, "never again".

I now get it serviced when I think it needs it as I have heard all the tales of woe on these forums and know that Bailey customer service is as useful as a one legged man in an backside kicking contest!

At last a response from Bailey!!!

Thank you or your email.

Please kindly see our responses in red below. (Changed by me to italics) 

I trust this helps.

Regards

Darryl Wandless
Customer Services Co-ordinator

Main:

0117 966 5967

Email:

customerservices@baileyofbristol.co.uk

Bailey Caravans Ltd, South Liberty Lane, Bristol, BS3 2SS.
www.baileyofbristol.co.uk
# ref: 15694

Sent: 27 March 2019 16:46
To: Customer Services <customerservices@baileyofbristol.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Floor Panel Query

1. Can you please confirm that should, at some future point, the floor of my caravan suffer the dreaded “damp” around the various holes that have been cut through it, by you, at the construction stage, AND left totally untreated,  I will still be covered by your water ingress warranty? The reason for my asking is that the wording of the warranty clearly states that only “permanently sealed joints” are covered. These holes are clearly NOT permanently sealed (or indeed sealed at all) joints and as such you are saying that any damp issues around those holes will not then be covered under warranty? In the unlikely event water ingress is identified within, below or above the bonded floor panel then rectification would be covered under the terms and conditions of our the six year bodyshell warranty.

2. Likewise if, as you say, the underside of my caravan has only “been painted with emulsion” what is actually protecting it from any water being thrown up underneath soaking into it? It’s clearly NOT waterproof plywood, or is it?? The underside of the bonded floor panels used in caravan construction are not treated as such but there is a layer of splash resistant paint. As you may appreciate, the ladder rack constructed floor panels of our caravans have been used for literally decades and I am not aware of any cases where the apertures used for the services as well as ventilation have been identified as causing floor panels to rot.

3. Has my caravan actually been “sealed” with anything at this join or do you just rely on the overlap of the sidewall over the floor preventing water ingress? What about any water that is thrown up against that joint whilst being towed? No, because this has not been deemed necessary due to the lack of cases reported where your concern has actually occurred. Again, we have no evidence that your concern has any basis in fact – i.e. in normal driving conditions in the wet has not shown your concern to have manifested itself.

I have printed the above off just in case of any “issues” further down the line. If anyone else wishes to do the same then please feel free to do so. Always handy to have a bit of ammunition squirrelled away!!!

Andy

Check this out guys!

just taken this out as my van is coming up to 3 years old - and not sure when to change yet.

https://mbgdirect.com/lifetime-warranty.html

£19.95 pm rolling / can cancel any time / gives flexibility until I decide to change. Same company Bailey use for extended warranty!

13 hours ago, djadria said:

Check this out guys!

just taken this out as my van is coming up to 3 years old - and not sure when to change yet.

https://mbgdirect.com/lifetime-warranty.html

£19.95 pm rolling / can cancel any time / gives flexibility until I decide to change. Same company Bailey use for extended warranty!

That is £239.40 per annum for a single axle caravan.  Why would you want that on a 3 year old caravan when it has a standard 6 year warranty and is also covered by CRA 2015?  Seems a waste of money?

29 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

That is £239.40 per annum for a single axle caravan.  Why would you want that on a 3 year old caravan when it has a standard 6 year warranty and is also covered by CRA 2015?  Seems a waste of money?

Some people like the warm feeling that having some form of insurance cover gives them. It’s no different to all of the extended warranties that are taken out to cover tv’s/washing machines/cookers/vacuum cleaners and almost anything else you can think of. Personally I don’t bother with any of them and, over the past 30+ years, I have never been in the situation where I could have actually claimed on them anyway, so I am vastly in profit!

Insurance companies are NOT your friend, and neither are they some form of benevolent organisation. They are there to do one thing, and one thing only, and that’s to make money, and that money comes from those who take out the insurances. They very carefully work out what the likelihood of you making any form of (successful!) claim is, then work out what the likely cost of that pay out is, and then charge as much as they think they can get away with to “cover” you.

I would rather tuck the £240 away in something like premium bonds, I won’t get any interest but I MIGHT just win a few quid. If I give it to an insurance company I have NO chance of making anything unless it’s in the unlikely event of me actually needing to make a claim, and of course it not being for something that the inevitable “small print” excludes.

I wonder how many people who pay for all of these extended warranties actually claim against them? I bet it’s a VERY small percentage. As for me? Well I am happy to keep my money and take my chances. In my experience most things that fail (particularly electrical items) usually do so in the first few weeks, so they are covered under the 12 guarantee period anyway.  

As for my new caravan it has a half decent warranty that I can choose to extend if I want to. Once it gets to the end of the “new” warranty I am somewhat fortunate in being the sort of chap that can repair most things anyway. so it’s really only the dreaded damp that could result in a claim and I intend to keep checking every couple of months to ensure any damp doesn’t get left and thus result in expensive repairs being necessary (if I keep the caravan that long anyway)

Each to his own of course !!

Andy

• Like 1