Johnnyboy1

Lunar Clubman Fridge Not Working

Hi all, we have a bit of a problem that requires some sound advice.  We are currently in sunny Spain with a fridge that’s stopped working, not the best because my beers getting warm, and she who demands to be obeyed tells me a cuddle is of the plate until I get the fridge fixed. So here it is.  Our van is a Lunar Clubman SR, 2017 model, so I’m guessing the fridge which was fitted new in the van when we purchased it is about the same age,. One year five months.  We returned to the uk for the festive break with the kids, we left the fridge on, just a few beers in it awaiting my return.  However, on returning 5 days later the fridge was off, no power at the controls, the fridge is a Dometic- RML 9431, this is a tall fridge freezer which appears to be well fixed in place, I have not been able to get to the rear of the fridge other than opening the vent outside which is where the power source enters, this is where I checked the 240v supply, we have a EC500 power supply unit, (not sure if that makes any difference) I have checked all visible fuses on the ec500 unit, All are good, I have check power at the plug side of the fridge vent side, we have 220vs at that point, but the control panel on the fridge is dead this is located above the fridge door, I have switched the mains power off and on again, but to no avail.  I’m sitting here scratching my head, I have located a circuit board behind the control panel but I have no idea how to test it, I’m afraid mini electronics is beyond me. Does anyone out there have any ideas, has anyone had or herd of this problem OR, does anyone know if there is another fuse hidden somewhere, extracting the fridge means disconnecting the gas I think, which I am reluctant to do. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

rehards Johnny 

We had similar happen last year. Different model fridge but same problem. It turned out to be the circuit board above the door.

However, as a "get you going" measure, I did the following. (non-DIY types look away now).

Old fashioned fridges had very little control on the mains side and I remembered our previous fridges all spent their life permanently on MAX. Therefore I pulled off the mains element leads from the power board inside the rear vent and connected them directly to the mains input connectors. Both sets are female spades and so I made two bodging leads of male to male spade and joined up with that, plus some insulating tape.  Easily reversible when you return and make a warranty claim.

That gets the fridge cooling again at full setting.

When you have to travel, you can do the same with the 12v element and 12v supply, which is always max anyway.

You get no interior light etc but you do get cold beer.

Can't do anything about gas operation.

I believe there is a 2 year warranty with Dometic fridge freezers so suggest you contact one of their service centres in Spain to get it fixed.   Here is a list of service agents in Spain https://www. dometic. com/en-gb/uk/find-a-dealer/spain

Thanks both for prompt replies, I’ll be on to Dometic in Spain 1st thing tomorrow, I’ll let you all know how it goes.  

5 hours ago, robhar said:

I believe there is a 2 year warranty with Dometic fridge freezers so suggest you contact one of their service centres in Spain to get it fixed.   Here is a list of service agents in Spain https://www. dometic. com/en-gb/uk/find-a-dealer/spain

Thanks again for the advice