Sign in to follow this  
BeckJo

Dometic RMS 8551 Fridge fault

In our Sterling Eccles Solitaire caravan we have a Dometic RMS 8551 fridge that intermittently trips when on 230v supply, this has only happened on one site, this site has 5 pitches and when on pitch 3 - to 5 we have to put the fridge on gas or the heating, (site is 16amp supply) on pitch 1 or 2 it works without any problems until this time when on pitch 2.

The fridge loses it's 230v   supply and if I reduce the heating kw to 2 or 1 it comes back on ? ran the fridge on gas while away from the van but put it back on 230 on return, on the last day it ran 24 hours without a problem, according to the manual this is due to low voltage and if that's the case why does the pitch consumer unit not trip.

Any idea's would be much appreciated .

Beckjo

Most likely it is a bollard fault, resulting in low voltage under load.

• Thanks 1

As above. Those fridges are very fussy about their voltage.

We have been on sites with poor voltage and had similar results.

From memory, the fridge gets upset at less than 200 volts.

The bollards may be "16 amp" but often the feed cables are not big enough and a few 'vans with the heating on reduces everything down.

If you can, measure the site voltage available in your 'van, you will know for certain then.

• Like 1

We have the same fridge and occasionally have the same problem with low voltage on certain sites. As Staffordshirechina outlines above, this is usually at periods of high ‘on site’ electricity consumption ie breakfast time when weather cooler (fan heaters etc on).

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all that answered my post, I thought it was a low voltage issue but nice to have confirmed.

Thanks to all and happy caravning in 2019

As a newbie it frustrates me to see the continuation of energy inefficient absorption fridges in caravans.   I have a compressor fridge on the boat, which I can run off grid for well in excess of a week.   Yes, I have a big domestic battery bank and a 200 w solar array, but with an average consumption of 0. 8AH that's 19. 2 AH in 24 hours.  

1 minute ago, Guzzilazz said:

As a newbie it frustrates me to see the continuation of energy inefficient absorption fridges in caravans.   I have a compressor fridge on the boat, which I can run off grid for well in excess of a week.   Yes, I have a big domestic battery bank and a 200 w solar array, but with an average consumption of 0. 8AH that's 19. 2 AH in 24 hours.  

You have a point, but no caravan maker would want to fit a fridge that was not capable of running off gas! Noise would also be a problem in something as light as a caravan without the weight of a boat to absorb the inevitable vibrations from a compressor fridge.

19. 2 Ah per day is way in excess of what an off grid caravan can afford even with a pretty big solar stay.