Sign in to follow this  
oldboy

Camping & Caravanning Club

Ravenglass C&CMC in West Cumbria (the only coastal village in the National Park) has been bought by the Club.  It was formerly operated (and wardened) by the owners as a C&CMC franchised site.

The first difference noted is that it now has a manager rather than an owner and the second is that where the site used to close for the mandatory six weeks after New Year's Day, it will from next year close from what appears to be from the first Monday after the end of October until the first Friday of February.

The accountants are making the decisions which is a shame. ..  occupancy will be low overall but this year for Christmas it was about a third full and then rammed for New year.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, smino0_1 said:

Its got nothing to do with the branding. it all about the chairman has bought a moh and now wanted to show it off and call it the CMC. doesnt get my vote this year.

I think that every one realises that by now and that it was probably to boost his ego after his disastrous attempt at towing a caravan as demonstrated on TV.   What a plonker and they give him some sort of gong!  No wonder the CMC is going downhill rapidly.   :D

Edited by Durbanite
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, klyne said:

Just so that we are clear what expertise do you have in rebranding products/organisations, especially on the scale of something the size of the CMC?  

David

Just so that we are clear, in my opinion and no doubt the opinion of many others, marketing/rebranding isn't rocket science and isn't even a science.

One definition is: Marketing is the study and management of exchange relationships. Marketing is the business process of creating relationships with and satisfying customers.

This begs the question of why on earth a membership organisation such as the CMC has a marketing department, whose evident strategy is to treat members as punters customers? There may be a clue in the fact that the present DG was formerly head of Marketing. It seems to me, given that there is now another Head of Marketing the Club may now have a surfiet of marketeers though an abomination of would be a more appropriate collective.

Posted (edited)

The Camping & Caravanning Club can afford to buy the world after charging £27. 50 / night, for 6 nights  over the Christmas and New Year for the two of us.

No age concession price as it's Peak Season, and no grass pitches as it's been raining!!!

It seems that there is an attempt to not let the initials of the Camping & Caravanning Club be shown on this post.   Is it an attempt to get us to go to the Dark Side?

Edited by Wunny
C&CMC kept auto correcting to C&CMC - odd - it's done it again! take out the M

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Wunny said:

It seems that there is an attempt to not let the initials of the Camping & Caravanning Club be shown on this post.

I hadn't noticed that. ..  C&CMC,  C & C C. .. let's see if they change.  

5 hours ago, Wunny said:

The Camping & Caravanning Club can afford to buy the world after charging £27. 50 / night, for 6 night

We paid over £30 per night for our seven night stay over Christmas.   Who runs this club eh? Robin Hood, Robin Redbreast or Robin Barsteward?:D

edited to add. .. the C & C C written without spaces has changed to C&CMC but with spaces it doesn't change.  Most odd. .. 

Edited by happynomad
To further comment on the mysterious changing of C&CMC

Posted (edited)

Site on  Yorkshire East Coast this holiday weekend. .Family of three, £204 for four nights. Not a club site, OK they did have a social club available. ...now on a CL @£15 a night.

geoff

Edited by shipbroker

On 02/01/2019 at 15:53, happynomad said:

edited to add. .. the C & C C written without spaces has changed to C&CMC but with spaces it doesn't change.  Most odd. .. 

I'm also confused. I understand the C&CC and the CMC but what is the C&CMC ?

Gordon

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Gordon said:

I'm also confused. I understand the C&CMC and the CMC but what is the C&CMC ?

Gordon

It's the CT / Win 10 auto correct.   It is changing C & C C (without spaces) to C&CMC

Edited by Wunny
It's done it again, but this time I wanted it to do it. It's even done it on the quote!

52 minutes ago, Gordon said:

I'm also confused. I understand the C&CC and the CMC but what is the C&CMC ?

Gordon

4 minutes ago, Wunny said:

It's the CT / Win 10 auto correct.   It is changing C & C C (without spaces) to C&CMC

I see that my original unedited response shows both C&CC and CMC correctly, but your post shows C&CMC instead of C&CC. I note your reply has been edited so wonder if the edit software may be at fault. Still rather confused as to what is going on.

Gordon

6 minutes ago, Gordon said:

I see that my original unedited response shows both C&CMC and CMC correctly, but your post shows C&CMC instead of C&CMC. I note your reply has been edited so wonder if the edit software may be at fault.  Still rather confused as to what is going on.

Gordon

I only edited it, to write in the reason for edit  box.   The quoted post was not altered in any way by myself only by a glitch in software somewhere.   It could be a Windows 10 thing, but why it does it is a mystery to me.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Wunny said:

I only edited it, to write in the reason for edit  box.   The quoted post was not altered in any way by myself only by a glitch in software somewhere.   It could be a Windows 10 thing, but why it does it is a mystery to me.

Not Windows 10. ..  I posted mine with iOS Safari (iPad)...  lets try again:

C&CMC  

C & CMC

edit. .. yep, and again.  The C & C C should write to the Site Owner, the Data Commisioner and their MP about the injustice of being conflated with that other recently rebranded mob.

Edited by happynomad
C&CMC CHANGE

33 minutes ago, Wunny said:

Thanks for clarifying. At the moment I still don't understand what's going on but there appears to be a software error somewhere.

46 minutes ago, Gordon said:

I see that my original unedited response shows both C&CC and CMC correctly, but your post shows C&CMC instead of C&CC. I note your reply has been edited so wonder if the edit software may be at fault. Still rather confused as to what is going on.

Gordon

Above is a quotation of my post, and that is unchanged. I'm running Win 10 on my laptop and using Chrome, and that combination appears to copy text correctly.

I've checked the CT filters and there is one that changes the Caravan Club abbreviation to CMC to reflect the new name but this does not appear to operate to change C&CC (without spaces)

Gordon

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gordon said:

Thanks for clarifying. At the moment I still don't understand what's going on but there appears to be a software error somewhere.

Above is a quotation of my post, and that is unchanged. I'm running Win 10 on my laptop and using Chrome, and that combination appears to copy text correctly.

I've checked the CT filters and there is one that changes the Caravan and Motorhome Club abbreviation to CMC to reflect the new name but this does not appear to operate to change C&CMC (without spaces)

Gordon

Do we really need a filter to change ĆĆ to CMC.  

CMC is simply a trading style of the C a r a v a n  C l u b (ĆĆ) and anybody reading will understand what is being referred to by the context in which it is used.

And we moan about a nanny state. ..  I am not sure I have ever seen anything more ridiculously unnecessary.  A needless filter that won't allow a perfectly proper reference to the Camping and Caravanning Club or a even perfectly proper reference to the C a r a v a n  C l u b Ltd.

Oh, and yes.  The filter is picking up on the two characters after the ampersand and modifying as per the rule set applied.    You have simply overridden the filter, either consciously or because it has been set such that users of the moderator / Admin groups (for example) are not filtered.

edited to add

i see it gets even more ridiculous with the actual full name of the legal entity (C a r a v a n  C l u b) being changed to the name of its trading style.

Edited by happynomad
  • Haha 1

The CC 

It doesn't do it for me thank goodness :)

20 minutes ago, Paul_B said:

The CMC 

It doesn't do it for me thank goodness :)

See my comment above about certain groups not being filtered.

C&CMC.  

CMC

3 minutes ago, happynomad said:

See my comment above about certain groups not being filtered.

C&CMC.  

CMC

I had that's why I posted :)

6 minutes ago, Paul_B said:

I had that's why I posted :)

Right. ..  sorry.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gordon said:

I've checked the CT filters and there is one that changes the Caravan and Motorhome Club abbreviation to CMC to reflect the new name but this does not appear to operate to change C&CMC (without spaces)

Gordon

Does that mean that the filter is changing any 'double C' to 'C-M-C'? Such that 'C&C-C' becomes 'C&CM-C'?

Trial:

CMC

CMC

CCC

C&CMC

Edit: yes. The second in that list was C-C, fourth was C&C-C' (no hyphens)

Edited by svimes
Testing

Posted (edited)

The International Obfuscated C Code Contest (abbreviated IOCCC) is a computer programming contest for the most creatively obfuscated C code.

IOCC Contest

C&CMC

CMC

Edited to add:

It ignored the multiple C occurrences of the top two but inserted the letter M into the bottom two.

Clever stuff eh?

Edited by happynomad

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, happynomad said:

The International Obfuscated C Code Contest (abbreviated IOCCC) is a computer programming contest for the most creatively obfuscated C code.

IOCC Contest

C&CMC

CMC

Edited to add:

It ignored the multiple C occurrences of the top two but inserted the letter M into the bottom two.

Clever stuff eh?

I think it's just double C's that it does it to, if they are on their own (i. e. no other letters).  Symbols don't seem to count so it just sees the double C, but numbers like 0 do count so it doesn't change those

As in my 50CC motorbike (50c-c) vs

50 CMC motorbike

Or the C&CMC (C&C-C) Vs

CCC

Edited by svimes
Was incorrect

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, svimes said:

I think it's just double C's that it does it to, if they are on their own (i. e. no other letters).  Symbols don't seem to count so it just sees the double C, but numbers like 0 do count so it doesn't change those

As in my 50CC motorbike (50c-c) vs

50 CMC motorbike

Or the C&CMC (C&C-C) Vs

CCC

I think we can agree that the filtering and changing of every instance of double C or Ćaravan Ćlub etc to a  Caravan and Motorhome Club reference is really really useful. ..

Not so good perhaps for those making intentional reference to the Camping and Caravanning Club perhaps or even those that are making specific reference to the C a r a v a n  C l u b (which is still  the legal entity as their own website indicates with "© Copyright Ćaravan Ćlub 2019") but hey. .. apart from that it is really really useful.

Edited by happynomad
  • Haha 1