Camping & Caravanning Club

Yes this was mentioned a couple of weeks back. ...I commented then,well done, as I know both Clubs had been active in trying to get sites in that region but found that lots of money was needed and National Parks were sticky to say the least. ..buying existing sites seems only option, but how much I wonder?

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I wonder if the CMC didn't squander members money on rebranding they could have afforded to buy one of the sites the camping club have acquired. They now have 4 sites within 5 miles of Keswick the two they have now are usually fully booked so it is a good move. I have used scotgate many times and again it is usually fully booked I can see it going from strength to strength with the club.

Sandy

If you look at CMC balance sheet they could buy many many more sites so rebranding money need not come into it. ...but then the C&CMC didn't manage to buy the Cayton Bay site they were after either.

geoff

Fair comment Odd days. .....I know how much the small Rosedale,no facilities, site cost when CMC bought it from the site owners next door.

This was the only site available in UK at the price range that a bequest would cover, 10 years earlier it would have got a large site on the coast.

geoff

3 hours ago, shipbroker said:

Fair comment Odd days. .....I know how much the small Rosedale,no facilities, site cost when CMC bought it from the site owners next door.

This was the only site available in UK at the price range that a bequest would cover, 10 years earlier it would have got a large site on the coast.

Geoff

Geoff the site next door has new owners and its looking promising 

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

1 hour ago, Paul_B said:

Geoff the site next door has new owners and its looking promising 

Yes you mentioned this before Paul, have not been further than Cropton to have a look yet.

geoff

5 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Yes you mentioned this before Paul, have not been further than Cropton to have a look yet.

geoff

I find it hard work going past The New Inn 

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

22 hours ago, shipbroker said:

If you look at CMC balance sheet they could buy many many more sites so rebranding money need not come into it. ...but then the C&CMC didn't manage to buy the Cayton Bay site they were after either.

geoff

Hi 

Yes I have read the balance sheet I was the one who posted about the club's investment in failed Icelandic banks and started the post about the club's rebranding costs. If the organisation was really a club members would have been consulted over  rebranding and the nearly 2m it cost. I'm sure if members were asked if they wanted a club rebranding or the money being used in part to acquire a honey pot site in the lakes I am certain they would choose thelater.

Regards

Sandy

Edited by sandy
Typo

Club members are represented by the Executive so they make the decisions,like it or not, on behalf of members.

geoff

p. s. I didn't 'get' the the rebranding either!

41 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Club members are represented by the Executive so they make the decisions,like it or not, on behalf of members.

geoff

p. s. I didn't 'get' the the rebranding either!

Wasn't the rebrand supposed to be based on "members" feedback?

44 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Club members are represented by the Executive so they make the decisions on behalf of members.

So they're a bit like members of Parliament looking after the interests of the people in their constituencies. ..:ph34r:

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

58 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

So they're a bit like members of Parliament looking after the interests of the people in their constituencies. ..:ph34r:

Got it in one!

geoff

Many MPs don't care a jot for the people in their constituencies they just look after their own interests many sticking their noses in the trough (members expenses). Quite a good analogy

Sandy

By the way Geoff I enjoy reading your posts but what has happened to Ian as his posts were also excellent

Sandy

47 minutes ago, sandy said:

but what has happened to Ian as his posts were also excellent

He is non-stop on the caravanning road. ..probably exceed the 365 days in this year!...never mind he can start a new one tomorrow!

Lord Sutch. .he would be pleased at your comment as he died 9 years ago.

geoff

• Guest changed the title to Camping & Caravanning Club
17 hours ago, sandy said:

By the way Geoff I enjoy reading your posts but what has happened to Ian as his posts were also excellent

Sandy

Ian is busy enjoying the delights of southern Spain at La Manga in Murcia.

8 hours ago, Durbanite said:

What has he done to deserve that ??

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 14:51, sandy said:

Hi 

Yes I have read the balance sheet I was the one who posted about the club's investment in failed Icelandic banks and started the post about the club's rebranding costs. If the organisation was really a club members would have been consulted over  rebranding and the nearly 2m it cost. I'm sure if members were asked if they wanted a club rebranding or the money being used in part to acquire a honey pot site in the lakes I am certain they would choose thelater.

Regards

Sandy

Just so that we are clear what expertise do you have in rebranding products/organisations, especially on the scale of something the size of the CMC?  

David

• Thanks 1

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Niro HEV  for home.

Caravan Travels

39 minutes ago, klyne said:

Just so that we are clear what expertise do you have in rebranding products/organisations, especially on the scale of something the size of the CMC?  

David

Hi David I expected you to support the club. I don't have any expertise I rebranding but I understand economics and I doubt the club will gain finantialy from the 2m investment from the remarketing. Many companies bigger and more business savvy have tried remarketing only to revert to the position they were in before before the exercise namely BP,gap,Holliday Inn,Cardiff city,pepsi to name a few. If as in a previous post this move was instigated by  elected club executive members what expertise do they have in marketing. I have been a member of the club for over 30 years and will remain a member for some of its benefits but over my time as a member I have gradually felt that the rank and file membership have been ignored over major decisions made supposedly on their behalf. We may disagree about the direction taken by the club but after making my opinion clear I don't intend to get into an extended debate over the issue.

Happy new year

Sandy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, ivan leslie said:
11 hours ago, Durbanite said:

What has he done to deserve that ??

Oddly enough, whilst he hasn't had a 'gong', for many many years he was one of the leaders of the Scottish Caravan  Club at both Centre and National level. ..so let him rally in peace after all he only managed 268 nights last year. ..so for the next week he starts level with the rest of us!!

geoff 

Edited by shipbroker

1 hour ago, klyne said:

David

That’s a fair question David.  

But I also think it’s fair to ask what are the measurable success criteria for the rebranding?

Its got nothing to do with the branding. it all about the chairman has bought a moh and now wanted to show it off and call it the CMC. doesnt get my vote this year.

65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

Ravenglass C&CMC in West Cumbria (the only coastal village in the National Park) has been bought by the Club.  It was formerly operated (and wardened) by the owners as a C&CMC franchised site.

The first difference noted is that it now has a manager rather than an owner and the second is that where the site used to close for the mandatory six weeks after New Year's Day, it will from next year close from what appears to be from the first Monday after the end of October until the first Friday of February.

The accountants are making the decisions which is a shame. ..  occupancy will be low overall but this year for Christmas it was about a third full and then rammed for New year.

This post is not intended to suggest you are pedantic or that you shouldn't ever post again.  It is not retaliatory in its intent and I apologise for any offence it may give rise to.

9 hours ago, smino0_1 said:

Its got nothing to do with the branding. it all about the chairman has bought a moh and now wanted to show it off and call it the CMC. doesnt get my vote this year.

I think that every one realises that by now and that it was probably to boost his ego after his disastrous attempt at towing a caravan as demonstrated on TV.   What a plonker and they give him some sort of gong!  No wonder the CMC is going downhill rapidly.   :D

Edited by Durbanite
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, klyne said:

David

Just so that we are clear, in my opinion and no doubt the opinion of many others, marketing/rebranding isn't rocket science and isn't even a science.

One definition is: Marketing is the study and management of exchange relationships. Marketing is the business process of creating relationships with and satisfying customers.

This begs the question of why on earth a membership organisation such as the CMC has a marketing department, whose evident strategy is to treat members as punters customers? There may be a clue in the fact that the present DG was formerly head of Marketing. It seems to me, given that there is now another Head of Marketing the Club may now have a surfiet of marketeers though an abomination of would be a more appropriate collective.