Sign in to follow this  
oldboy

Camping & Caravanning Club

The Camping & Caravanning club is doing well in the lake district with 2 additional sites. Scotgate holiday park & Braithwaite Bridge.

http://www. scotgateholidaypark. co. uk/#

Edited by oldboy

Yes this was mentioned a couple of weeks back. ...I commented then,well done, as I know both Clubs had been active in trying to get sites in that region but found that lots of money was needed and National Parks were sticky to say the least. ..buying existing sites seems only option, but how much I wonder?

geoff

I wonder if the CMC didn't squander members money on rebranding they could have afforded to buy one of the sites the camping club have acquired. They now have 4 sites within 5 miles of Keswick the two they have now are usually fully booked so it is a good move. I have used scotgate many times and again it is usually fully booked I can see it going from strength to strength with the club.

Sandy

If you look at CMC balance sheet they could buy many many more sites so rebranding money need not come into it. ...but then the C&CMC didn't manage to buy the Cayton Bay site they were after either.

geoff

I bet they was big money to buy them. With an up surge in caravaning and the big boys like park dean buying up the competition for sites must be tough. Also take in to account sites being made in to park homes/static sites it must be a sellers market.

Fair comment Odd days. .....I know how much the small Rosedale,no facilities, site cost when CMC bought it from the site owners next door.

This was the only site available in UK at the price range that a bequest would cover, 10 years earlier it would have got a large site on the coast.

geoff

3 hours ago, shipbroker said:

Fair comment Odd days. .....I know how much the small Rosedale,no facilities, site cost when CMC bought it from the site owners next door.

This was the only site available in UK at the price range that a bequest would cover, 10 years earlier it would have got a large site on the coast.

Geoff

Geoff the site next door has new owners and its looking promising 

1 hour ago, Paul_B said:

Geoff the site next door has new owners and its looking promising 

Yes you mentioned this before Paul, have not been further than Cropton to have a look yet.

geoff

5 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Yes you mentioned this before Paul, have not been further than Cropton to have a look yet.

geoff

I find it hard work going past The New Inn 

22 hours ago, shipbroker said:

If you look at CMC balance sheet they could buy many many more sites so rebranding money need not come into it. ...but then the C&CMC didn't manage to buy the Cayton Bay site they were after either.

geoff

Hi 

Yes I have read the balance sheet I was the one who posted about the club's investment in failed Icelandic banks and started the post about the club's rebranding costs. If the organisation was really a club members would have been consulted over  rebranding and the nearly 2m it cost. I'm sure if members were asked if they wanted a club rebranding or the money being used in part to acquire a honey pot site in the lakes I am certain they would choose thelater.

Regards

Sandy

Edited by sandy
Typo

Club members are represented by the Executive so they make the decisions,like it or not, on behalf of members.

geoff

p. s. I didn't 'get' the the rebranding either!

41 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Club members are represented by the Executive so they make the decisions,like it or not, on behalf of members.

geoff

p. s. I didn't 'get' the the rebranding either!

Wasn't the rebrand supposed to be based on "members" feedback?

44 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Club members are represented by the Executive so they make the decisions on behalf of members.

So they're a bit like members of Parliament looking after the interests of the people in their constituencies. ..:ph34r:

58 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

So they're a bit like members of Parliament looking after the interests of the people in their constituencies. ..:ph34r:

Got it in one!

geoff

Many MPs don't care a jot for the people in their constituencies they just look after their own interests many sticking their noses in the trough (members expenses). Quite a good analogy

Sandy

By the way Geoff I enjoy reading your posts but what has happened to Ian as his posts were also excellent

Sandy

The only one I would trust not to lie to us is Lord sutch.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, sandy said:

but what has happened to Ian as his posts were also excellent

He is non-stop on the caravanning road. ..probably exceed the 365 days in this year!...never mind he can start a new one tomorrow!

Lord Sutch. .he would be pleased at your comment as he died 9 years ago.

geoff

23 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

He is non-stop on the caravanning road. ..probably exceed the 365 days in this year!...never mind he can start a new one tomorrow!

Lord Sutch. .he would be pleased at your comment as he died 9 years ago.

geoff

Exactly he won’t tell any lies then.

17 hours ago, sandy said:

By the way Geoff I enjoy reading your posts but what has happened to Ian as his posts were also excellent

Sandy

Ian is busy enjoying the delights of southern Spain at La Manga in Murcia.

8 hours ago, Durbanite said:

What has he done to deserve that ??

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 14:51, sandy said:

Hi 

Yes I have read the balance sheet I was the one who posted about the club's investment in failed Icelandic banks and started the post about the club's rebranding costs. If the organisation was really a club members would have been consulted over  rebranding and the nearly 2m it cost. I'm sure if members were asked if they wanted a club rebranding or the money being used in part to acquire a honey pot site in the lakes I am certain they would choose thelater.

Regards

Sandy

Just so that we are clear what expertise do you have in rebranding products/organisations, especially on the scale of something the size of the CMC?  

David

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, klyne said:

Just so that we are clear what expertise do you have in rebranding products/organisations, especially on the scale of something the size of the CMC?  

David

Hi David I expected you to support the club. I don't have any expertise I rebranding but I understand economics and I doubt the club will gain finantialy from the 2m investment from the remarketing. Many companies bigger and more business savvy have tried remarketing only to revert to the position they were in before before the exercise namely BP,gap,Holliday Inn,Cardiff city,pepsi to name a few. If as in a previous post this move was instigated by  elected club executive members what expertise do they have in marketing. I have been a member of the club for over 30 years and will remain a member for some of its benefits but over my time as a member I have gradually felt that the rank and file membership have been ignored over major decisions made supposedly on their behalf. We may disagree about the direction taken by the club but after making my opinion clear I don't intend to get into an extended debate over the issue.

Happy new year

Sandy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ivan leslie said:
11 hours ago, Durbanite said:

What has he done to deserve that ??

Oddly enough, whilst he hasn't had a 'gong', for many many years he was one of the leaders of the Scottish Caravan  Club at both Centre and National level. ..so let him rally in peace after all he only managed 268 nights last year. ..so for the next week he starts level with the rest of us!!

geoff 

Edited by shipbroker

1 hour ago, klyne said:

David

That’s a fair question David.  

But I also think it’s fair to ask what are the measurable success criteria for the rebranding?

Its got nothing to do with the branding. it all about the chairman has bought a moh and now wanted to show it off and call it the CMC. doesnt get my vote this year.