Sign in to follow this  
IanV8

New Year Honour for CAMC Chairman

Grenville Chamberlain was awarded an OBE in the New Year’s Honour list.

Congratulations to a lovely man.

Ian

Most seem to remember the rather strange performance in the film but ignore the thousands of hours, free of charge,he has given to the Club in Centre work,where I first met him many moons ago and in his years on National Committees and latterly Chairman. ..

I will agree with Ian that he is a nice man, and one who remembers people and their names. We first met when we ran our respective Centres Quiz teams, at The National,  and then ten years later met on a rally field. .."Hello Geoff,long time no see"...this has happened a few time since.

OBE being the lowest order given I think it pathetic that people would criticise this honour for services when much 'grander' honours are dished out to much less worthy people.

geoff

• Like 1

I can never understand how people just get rewarded for doing their job which they are paid for . I can understand people that do good or work for charity giving up their own time for no pay .

Dave

• Like 5

I have twice been involved in trying to get recognition for individuals who had given long service to professional bodies,one of whom provided voluntary service to bodies supported by our Royal Family over thirty years. Despite having support from parliamentarians,who knew the system, we failed both times. I know the Church also tried with one of the people and failed too. ........the other died before an answer was received.

It goes without saying that neither of them knew of our hoped for actions.

geoff

30 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

I have twice been involved in trying to get recognition for individuals who had given long service to professional bodies,one of whom provided voluntary service to bodies supported by our Royal Family over thirty years. Despite having support from parliamentarians,who knew the system, we failed both times. I know the Church also tried with one of the people and failed too. ........the other died before an answer was received.

It goes without saying that neither of them knew of our hoped for actions.

geoff

Yes, that's par for the course. Only one out of many recommendations succeeds.  

Where I used to work, there were well over a hundred senior managers (around 100,000 total staff) with several dozen recommendations per year. Of these typically one per list would succeed.

So far as I could see, the priorities were:-

1. Having friends prepared to send recommendations.

2. The friends being the right people.

3. The recommendations presenting a good case.

4. The potential recipient being a good candidate.

I worked in Steel Industry HQ in the 70's and we had a huge staff,during that time I can only remember two awards, both OBE and both on retirement of the individuals. ..and we had a representative in the Cabinet Office. ..must admit both were good candidates with good back up assistants. .me!

geoff