Sign in to follow this  
chris76

first trip abroad

2 hours ago, chris76 said:

how come everyone is keen to avoid paris, because whenever i put it into google it still gives it as the quickest route?

i think id rather get stuck in a big jam, then get going , than driving through tedious roads and villages

Do it then...and wait till they decide to close the Peripherique which they often do and divert you up the next slip road...and find yourself along with lorries etc visiting the Left Bank, Notre Dame , Paris Central et al. Not fun I can tell you especially as they don't give you diversion instructions !

The route given by robhar above matches our own ideas, no villages just near empty fast roads. We have driven down to Sarlat and not seen another vehicle on our side for nearly 30 minutes.....that is what France excels at.

geoff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On two occasions we have had bad experiences of the Periferique towing a van. Worst was being diverted off the periferique near St Denis. Then a map reading error led us  actually into the district. We genuinely feared for our safety. The other time our daughter who was following got bullied onto an off ramp by a French driver leaving it too late. We effectively lost her and her fiancée for 4 hours as they got terribly lost when their sat nav packed up. Far rather take a route that bypasses Paris completely than risk it again. 

On 10/03/2019 at 16:28, Leedslad said:

Yes, both places are well worth a visit.  When visiting Bordeaux,  I use the Park & Ride in the north of the City and take the tram and find this makes life easier.  I’ve visited France many times now and when covering a lot of miles, I use the Autoroutes and their excellent services.  I accept the tolls as part of my holiday costs.

John.

Me, too. The fuel economy improves with virtually empty autoroutes and there's much less driving 'work' to do. Just hold concentration, switch on cruise control, and relax into the drive.

Specially for you, John. As I type this, Mrs Marchie is preparing my breakfast porridge [from the stock carried out from Scotland!], to set me up for another day's work laying the edging stones for the soon-to-be completed car and caravan parking space at our French hovel!

Autoroute tolls may be expensive, but other costs are much lower. Last time I checked in B&Q, 25kg bags of stone chippings [and they were very small runt sizes!] were about £8.95. I've been buying 270kg trailer loads of larger stones for €11.33 in total - just under £10 for the entire load - from our local Builders Merchant.

Steve

On 10/03/2019 at 16:38, chris76 said:

thats good to hear, from reading on here on here i was thinking the toll roads cost would be in the hundreds

We travel from Dieppe to the Vendee using autoroute all the way. Costs at the end of April were about €60 and the extra time saving cuts out the need for an extra stop en route. 2-3 sleep at Alencon to top up the overnight ferry doze of 4 hours or so and that's us in our hovel after 324 miles tarvel from Dieppe.

Steve

• Like 1

On 01/05/2019 at 20:15, shipbroker said:

Done that journey many times and the Rouen route has always been favourite.

geoff 

Newhaven to Dieppe overnight ferry, arriving about 0530 CET, get clear of Rouen just before my eyeballs begin to hang out then Le Mans, Alencon ,Angers and onwards to the Vendee. There is a lovely Camping Municipal at Beaumont sur Sarthe if travelling further afield and within easy reach of the autoroute. €11 or so for car, caravan + 2 adults and 6 amp EHU [€3.80 supplement for 10 amp supply - or buy a Remoska + Slow Cooker, or eat out if you're not on a diet!].

Steve

Avoiding the Paris  peripherique. 

Approach the city on the A1 autoroute. Switch off sat nav.  

After passing the airport follow huge motorway signs for Bordeaux - that takes you off the A1 autoroute on to the middle one of the three Paris ring roads - at first labelled A3 and then A86.  Motorway all the way. 

When you are well south south of the city switch on sat nav again .

13 hours ago, marchie1053 said:

Newhaven to Dieppe overnight ferry, arriving about 0530 CET, get clear of Rouen just before my eyeballs begin to hang out then Le Mans, Alencon ,Angers and onwards to the Vendee. There is a lovely Camping Municipal at Beaumont sur Sarthe if travelling further afield and within easy reach of the autoroute. €11 or so for car, caravan + 2 adults and 6 amp EHU [€3.80 supplement for 10 amp supply - or buy a Remoska + Slow Cooker, or eat out if you're not on a diet!].

Steve

+1 for the Muni at Beaumont. 

On 12/05/2019 at 08:42, marchie1053 said:

Steve

i might stop there on the way home iv already booked a 3 night stay at le mans at the start of the holiday.

must admit im loosing the will to live, i just cant find a site near the beach, at the vendee.

theres always some reason we cant stay there, we're taking 2 staffordshire terriers, in a twin axle.

either staffys are'nt allowed or its 1 dog only or no twin axles

stuff it im going to sack the coast off and head straight for the dordogne.

are the midges unbearable in august near river/lakes?

5 minutes ago, chris76 said:

stuff it im going to sack the coast off and head straight for the dordogne.

are the midges unbearable in august near river/lakes?

The midges in Dordogne/ Lot we found OK in August.....the worst was on the coast down near Royan where they came in in millions every teatime as the Marais had not been sprayed.

geoff

• Thanks 1

On 19/01/2019 at 11:19, LongTimeCaravaner said:

Les Iles at Beaulieu sur Dordogne is in a fantastic position on an island just over the bridge from the town centre with many of the pitches overlooking the river. We had a pitch right on the river side and you could launch your boat from there. There were several fishermen wading out to fish. For more information about the area and town see my blog.

We go to France in the low season and never book but I would if I were going in August.

It’s telling me they only accept one pet

do you think they’ll notice if we take two. After there only small

52 minutes ago, chris76 said:

It’s telling me they only accept one pet

do you think they’ll notice if we take two. After there only small

Try La Falaise at La Turballe as they will accept a twin axle and two dogs.  We have stayed there with our3 dogs  in our twin axle.  You are right on the beach plus each pitch has its own water supply.  There is a supermarket across the road plus they have a fuel station.  If you think it is okay ask for pitches 56, 57 or 58 as they are the larger pitches.

Another campsite where we have stayed is  Port du Punay near La Rochelle.  Normally we book a fully serviced pitch at Port Du Punay, stay there for about 2 weeks and then move north to La Falaise and then Caen.  There is a lot to do around the area and the two island are within an easy drive.  La Rochelle itself is very interesting with loads of restaurants in the harbour area.

Cheers mate I’ll look into them both;I like the look of the first one on tripadvisor but the website is down the second one has standard pitches left 800 Euro  for 14 nights

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, chris76 said:

Cheers mate I’ll look into them both;I like the look of the first one on tripadvisor but the website is down the second one has standard pitches left 800 Euro  for 14 nights

No ways did we pay anything near that as we are ACSI members and the charge was about €22 a night plus the extra for the three dogs on a fully serviced pitch.  For the 10 days there it cost us €296.  There are  cheaper pitches which only have EHU.  There is a LIDL within 4 miles and also a Carrefour in the same area. 

When we go back to France next year we will probably use the same sites again.  Boring I know but a lot to do in the area and besides one wants to relax and not charge all over the place sightseeing.  :D

Edited by Durbanite

finally all booked upo for the full 6 weeks

1 st stop over night  in calais, - la bien assise

3 nights at  le mans -Château de Chanteloup

14 nights at -la turballe -  de la Falaise

11 nights at - pomport beach, near bergerac

11 nights at -La capeyrou, dordogne

then head back towards calais will play it by ear and book an overnight stop over

last night back at calais - la bien assise

thanks to all who helped me in this thread

only 2 weeks to go now,cant wait:D

weve decided to set off on the friday night when the kids are out of school can anyone recomend a site or region i should be looking at staying on the friday night

bearing in mind the tunnel is booked for 2pm on the saturday

• Like 1

You will love Le Capeyrou. Just back from 14 nights there. 5th year running. Beautiful location and friendly and efficient owners.

On 03/07/2019 at 19:13, ascsbe said:

You will love Le Capeyrou. Just back from 14 nights there. 5th year running. Beautiful location and friendly and efficient owners.

Yeah looks nice, to be fair they all do