Sign in to follow this  
chris76

first trip abroad

We paid £441 including meals for June 2019 Hull - Zebrugge with 4 site night vouchers - we won't be able to use them this year but maybe next.     Adding them made the crossing £130 cheaper through CMC.   (that's for 2 adults in a 4 bed cabin, car caravan and meals).   As we live in Hull, it's ideal for us. 

• Like 1

Just booked our June/July trip well ferries! Got ACSI and insurance so off we go. May return mid August-no peak times now!B)

im getting this route without tolls https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/54.6533088,-1.684208/Dordogne,+France/@48.1768563,-0.9628305,7z/data=!4m12!4m11!1m1!4e1!1m5!1m1!1s0x47ff7a7475a8138b:0x3066517481126e0!2m2!1d0.7572205!2d45.1469486!2m1!2b1!3e0?hl=en

im going to have to get some sites booked soon,also is borduex or la rochelle worth a visit on the way down?

44 minutes ago, chris76 said:

im getting this route without tolls

For the sake of saving 15 or so Euros, I would use the N154 from Chartres across to the A10, then around Orlean and down to Vierzon.      The Google route takes you on narrow roads, through dozens of towns and villages for an awful lot of miles.    Likewise I always prefer to pay the toll between Boulogne and Abbeville rather than drag along the old N1 going through several towns.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chris76 said:

im getting this route without tolls https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/54.6533088,-1.684208/Dordogne,+France/@48.1768563,-0.9628305,7z/data=!4m12!4m11!1m1!4e1!1m5!1m1!1s0x47ff7a7475a8138b:0x3066517481126e0!2m2!1d0.7572205!2d45.1469486!2m1!2b1!3e0?hl=en

im going to have to get some sites booked soon,also is borduex or la rochelle worth a visit on the way down?

Yes, both places are well worth a visit.  When visiting Bordeaux,  I use the Park & Ride in the north of the City and take the tram and find this makes life easier.  I’ve visited France many times now and when covering a lot of miles, I use the Autoroutes and their excellent services.  I accept the tolls as part of my holiday costs.

John.

41 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

For the sake of saving 15 or so Euros, I would use the N154 from Chartres across to the A10, then around Orlean and down to Vierzon.      The Google route takes you on narrow roads, through dozens of towns and villages for an awful lot of miles.    Likewise I always prefer to pay the toll between Boulogne and Abbeville rather than drag along the old N1 going through several towns.

thats good to hear, from reading on here on here i was thinking the toll roads cost would be in the hundreds

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

Came back from Bourges (Vierson) last year and did exactly this (Round Orleans on the A10)  I too would suggest you consider it.    From Chartres we followed the route you have shown with easy driving throughout. 

Afterthought. 

Interested to note you skirt London to the South!  We've always headed for Dartford after the M1.  Disgusting journey either way especially after the space in France. 

Edited by John_b_45

i know its really lazy of me but im finding it hard to work out which route to take for the best.

can somebody do me a route on google from calais down to the dordogne please. Dont mind paying the tolls if theyre not extortionate and save a lot of hassle.

At least if i get my route sorted i can get on book some parks along the way.

would be good to hear peoples thoughts on wether bordoux or la rochelle is best? 

20 minutes ago, chris76 said:

can somebody do me a route on google from calais down to the dordogne please. Dont mind paying the tolls if theyre not extortionate and save a lot of hassle.

Rather than Google why not try one of the old style planners? Mappy France, Michelin or even AA all give good routing.

geoff

its more to do with peoples experiences on toll roads down to the dordogne, i dont have a clue where to start

Start by unfolding a big paper map on your kitchen table.

Look at the direct motorway route from Calais to the Dordogne - it's 500 miles and the tolls will cost 65 euros - but it goes through Paris . Do you want to do that?  

If not take the longer route via Rouen, Le Mans and Tours. It's a bit further and the tolls are a bit dearer, but it will probably easier. 

Does that help? 

Done that journey many times and the Rouen route has always been favourite.

geoff 

• Thanks 1

Agree. Except when passing Rouen. That can be a major pain.

Posted (edited)

We always use a good old map to plot our general route, then decide where to go and use satnav afterwards.

Force of habit as we are old and remember times without satnav!

My wife used an A to Z (remember those?) for her job as a Health Visitor, I used one when I covered a large area of West Midlands in a recruitment job! No mobiles with maps either!

French autoroutes are great but can be pricey, the main roads (Routes National) can be good but there is an 80kph limit on them except for dual carriageways.

A good map will show which are single or dual carriageway.

We like the Michelin Road Atlas, it has good detail and a good scale with easy to use key.

Edited by 664DaveS

1 hour ago, AndersG said:

Agree. Except when passing Rouen. That can be a major pain.

Used to go through the middle,that was worse!

Geoff

On 10/03/2019 at 16:38, chris76 said:

thats good to hear, from reading on here on here i was thinking the toll roads cost would be in the hundreds

The route you posted a link to seems to end in the middle of nowhere.

Suggest you take a look at ViaMichelin which will allow you to calculate the tolls with a caravan but as others have mentioned they can be the difference between making good progress  on very good roads or fighting your way through villages where the French, quite rightly, take great trouble to make progress anything but.

is the roun/ le mans route mainly dual carriageway then? im happy to pay more tolls if we can put our foot down especially with two whinging kids in the back,lol

Map to help.

IMG_0694.PNG

ah cheers moorgate, it looks like the a 87 goes straight down to la rochelle, which i fancied anyway, i might do 10 nights or so there and then move over to the dordogne

We do the Calais - Dordogne journey every year going down to Sarlat at the beginning of July and coming back early August. No kids but we have a dog so need to accommodate her needs and as we go for 8 weeks we take our time travelling down and back with several overnight stops. The route we take is via Rouen then the N154 to Chartres and picking up the A10 north of Orleans. This year we are doing shorter hops on a different route so first night at Le Colombier (avoids going through Rouen) then to Samuer then to Limoges then Sarlat. If you are planning to do a lot of autoroute mileage get yourself a tag as it saves the hassle of searching for cash or cards at the toll booths.

How's the N154?

Always thought I would take it next trip followed by N10 to Tours to cut the cost of the toll roads but never done it. I'm always in a hurry to get through France. We already take N10 from Poitiers and thats dual lane almost all the way.

22 minutes ago, AndersG said:

How's the N154?

Always thought I would take it next trip followed by N10 to Tours to cut the cost of the toll roads but never done it. I'm always in a hurry to get through France. We already take N10 from Poitiers and thats dual lane almost all the way.

Its better then it used to be as its popularity has led to some villages being bypassed and sections of dual carriageway. There is still the odd bit where you go through villages and can be stopped at traffic lights but thats the price I pay to avoid Paris. The bit I don't like is the ring road around Chartres, it has 7 roundabouts so is very stop start.

how come everyone is keen to avoid paris, because whenever i put it into google it still gives it as the quickest route?

i think id rather get stuck in a big jam, then get going , than driving through tedious roads and villages

I've been going down the A1 and then around the Paris ring road a few times and it's not difficult but there's a lot of traffic before and after Paris.

From Calais I can't see the point of going via Paris but I go via Rouen, Le Mans, Tours, Poitiers and then N10 down to Bordeaux before crossing in to Spain.

As its your first trip to France by all means go via Paris if you wish. However it is prone to major traffic congestion in the peak season and the advice you are getting here is from people who have travelled to France many times and having experienced Paris once, choose to avoid it like the plague. For route planning use the via Michelin website as it will give you the tolls and fuel costs. As I've said earlier. we do Calais to Satlat in the Dordogne every year for the last 25 years and now I'm retired we go for 8 - 9 weeks so can take our time or explore other areas in France at the beginning or end of our visit. If going direct, our preferred route is A16 and A28 to Rouen, then the N154 to Chartres, then pick up the A10 north of Orleans. A71 to Vierzon then A20 to Souillac where we leave the autoroute. My toll fees for the trip down last year were 37 euro plus £2.50 for the Dartford Crossing.

Its probably best if you decide how long you wish to travel each day and prebook sites accordingly but if you wish to remain flexible most towns in France have a Camping Municipal which is a site run by the local authority. They will have basic facilities like water, electric hook up and toilet/shower blocks and are cheap.  Far safer and quieter then staying overnight at an Aire.

If you can decide on your route and which locations you might like to stay at come back and tell us and I am sure you will get site recommendations from the members of this forum.

• Thanks 1