Sign in to follow this  
chris76

first trip abroad

5 hours ago, SteveMilner said:

I've often travelled from Yorkshire and stopped at Abbey Wood and picked up a mid morning ferry the nest day.

just checked and i think 8 is the last arrival time, tunnel's booked for 2pm on saturday, theres no chance id be able to pick the kids up from school and get down to london for 8 on the friday

nope,im talking rubbish,lol theres a late night arrivals area,not sure if its wort the the detour though i think we'd rather just split the driving and get it done in one go, fare enough i might not do it next time round

so the tunnel is booked 20/07 to 31/08 both 2 pm departures and " la bien assise " at calais is booked for 1 night both journeys.

can anyone reccomend  any routes/sites as val said its probably a good idea just to stay in france this time.

wed like to be near a lake/river because iv bought a inflatable kayack to take and im also taking fishing rods and bikes.

and we'd love to be staying somewhere with water park and pools.

is it really feasabile just to play it by ear while over there and just to book sites as were ready to move on?

also realistically how many sites should we be aiming for over a 40 day period?   5 or 6 days in each?

Les Iles at Beaulieu sur Dordogne is in a fantastic position on an island just over the bridge from the town centre with many of the pitches overlooking the river. We had a pitch right on the river side and you could launch your boat from there. There were several fishermen wading out to fish. For more information about the area and town see my blog.

We go to France in the low season and never book but I would if I were going in August.

Edited by LongTimeCaravaner

Chris. You ask, "Can anyone recommend routes"  - yes, but where to?  I'm afraid I really don't think you know where you want to go.

You say you want to be by a lake or a river - ValA has suggested some rivers like the Ardeche and the Cele already, and the Tarn, the Dordogne and the Lot are always popular too. For lakes you might look at the Auvergne or the Morvan areas.  

You are going in peak summer season - the sites with water parks and pools are the ones which will be busy, and so will beach front sites, but you can ring them a day in advance from your mobile and ask. You may get in. At  smaller, less fancy, inland sites you will have a better chance .

i suggest you get some pictorial guide books and decide where you want to go. Good luck.

3 hours ago, moorgate said:

Chris. You ask, "Can anyone recommend routes"  - yes, but where to?  I'm afraid I really don't think you know where you want to go.

i dont. .My mate has been to the dordogne region and says its lovely, but im travelling from durham then arriving in france at calais its going to be a toss up between going west to dordogne region or due south to the med and possibly a bit of the alps on the way, but im worried going down south may be a bit too far for our first venture abroad

One of the best holidays,probably the quietest too, was in the Morvan and was a good area for travelling around the Burgundy region. .OK not near the coast but lovely countryside.

geoff

1 hour ago, chris76 said:

i dont. .My mate has been to the dordogne region and says its lovely, but im travelling from durham then arriving in france at calais its going to be a toss up between going west to dordogne region or due south to the med and possibly a bit of the alps on the way, but im worried going down south may be a bit too far for our first venture abroad

We went down to the med on our first trip abroad, as it turned out it was not the best idea to go to the Cote D Azure in school holidays without a booking but dont let the distance put you off, you have plenty of time and dont have to waste it on a timid "toe in the water" trip to northern France as is so often recommended on forums.

5 hours ago, LongTimeCaravaner said:

Les Iles at Beaulieu sur Dordogne is in a fantastic position on an island just over the bridge from the town centre with many of the pitches overlooking the river. We had a pitch right on the river side and you could launch your boat from there. There were several fishermen wading out to fish. For more information about the area and town see my blog.

We go to France in the low season and never book but I would if I were going in August.

Going further south another site we stayed at on the river side fishing and boating from the site was Camping Beau Rivages at Vallon Pont d'Arc on the Ardeche. Watched a man fish all week and catch nothing then on our last day he caught the biggest catfish I have ever seen. On our way we stopped at Camping Vivier aux Carpes, fishing but no boating and Camping Lac D'Orient with a huge lake just over the road from the camp site. Again, for more info see my blog.

As David says, you are going for long enough to go wherever you fancy in France.

Edited by LongTimeCaravaner

Vivier aux Carpes and Beau Rivages are two long established and well thought of sites so good mention LTC.

geoff 

Hi Chris76. There has been some super advice from others in the long haul club here. I'm pleased to hear you have now booked. You are out for 6 weeks, and I think the time has come to think about your stops. I presume you are taking the kids with you, and that this is your first holiday with them all in a van. I'm going to tell you a few things that you will thank me for if you take the advice and act on it. Firstly, you will all come back hating road trips, caravans, camp sites and each other of you aren't careful. Towing is stressful. It's not the same as driving the same distance. From bitter experience I now limit each day to 300 miles or thereabouts and the maximum without a few days stopping somewhere of three days' travelling. Now that's just me and my wife; with children I'd be quite happy to do even less. So be sympathetic to your family. Secondly, book somewhere for your first night. I'm not a fan of stopping in Aires with children. I agree absolutely with ValA that France is rich enough and fascinating enough to absorb you all for six weeks and the campsites are of generally good to excellent quality. Having said that, most British caravans are designed for living in, and we can as happily stop in a field without any facilities as in a 5 star member of the Leading Campings. Thirdly, take two emergency meals for the family just in case. Fourthly, (as much of this advice is) don't be too ambitious. We have done circuits of France many times, last year did Austria and down the Brenner Pass and this year are considering Denmark to Sweden but you don't need to see all Europe on your first visit. Going to France there are basically two routes; drop south from Calais down the A16 to the Dordogne side or theA26 across the top to Reims and then drop down. Fifthly, it will cost more than you think. The autoroute tolls to go round France are somewhere around £250. Don't forget that any pets will need checking and worming before they come back and that's £35 to £60.

Hi

starting to panic,been looking on pitchup, practically every site i click on either  accept staffys, is this mainly a pitch up thing?

i think i found a couple the other night that had no mention about them being not allowed but they didnt accept 

twin axles

Ah, it's two Staffies? You didn't say that earlier.  

Strictly speaking pure bred Staffies with a pedigree are allowed in France, but cross bred Staffies are banned and may not get past French policemen. Spain is even more strict than France, and Italy requires muzzles.  Many people go caravanning with dogs and report no problems on campsites, but individual campsites have their own rules - many sites will cautiously admit you with two Staffies and charge per dog - but will turn you out later if your two dogs are not under close control and if they intimidate others.  

Many older people take dogs without problems.  But you have children too - and they will want to go to beaches  and swimming pools and one adult will always have to stay with the dogs.  The same applies to shopping and supermarkets.  Frankly when our children were with us we couldn't have managed two dogs as well but I hope you sort it out. It's going to be trial and error .  

Yeah they’re not typical Stafford they’re both proper show staffys, top pedigree, everyone kept telling us Spain might be an issue but not France,  It’s a shame because I guarantee you they would be the softest and quietest dogs on the site both with other dogs and humans

the plan was to leave them in the van during the day anyway, that’s why I’m spending stupid money on air con, lol

55 minutes ago, chris76 said:

the plan was to leave them in the van during the day anyway, that’s why I’m spending stupid money on air con, lol

Not sure you’ll even get staffies into France but leaving dogs unattended in a van during the day is a definite no-no. Apart from the anti-social element of dogs barking all day many sites simply do not allow  dogs to be left unattended. Also just say you’re on a site and the temps are in the mid 30s when the post trips out and the air con goes off. ......

Think you really need to re-evaluate your trip.  

Edited by Tuningdrew
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

Not sure you’ll even get staffies into France but leaving dogs unattended in a van during the day is a definite no-no. Apart from the anti-social element of dogs barking all day many sites simply do not allow  dogs to be left unattended. Also just say you’re on a site and the temps are in the mid 30s when the post trips out and the air con goes off. ......

Think you really need to re-evaluate your trip.  

fair point, but we wont be leaving them in the van all day not by themselves,i just meant to get them out of the heat of the day, the wife would rather be with the dogs than me or the kids:rolleyes:

We've looked into it and pedigree staffys are fine for france, its just im finding a lot of sites are putting them alongside dangerous dogs and wont allow them.

They dont bark,great with kids and great with other dogs, its just such a shame they get tarred with the same brush.

this is all im getting from pitchup

The site does not accept breeds/crossbreeds listed in the Dangerous Dogs Act and/or any of the following: Staffordshire bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, Rottweiler, any Mastiff or Tosa.

doing trial bookings on cmc there doesnt seem to be any mention of no staffys

Edited by chris76

Use U. K. Campsites or Tripadvisor. More balanced views.  

yeah when going through uk campsite and cmc, they dont discriminate against staffys.

guess ill just have to work a route out and e mail the sites.

dunno wether to go dordogne and on to the pyrenees or down to the alps and south coast, getting prices around £500/week south coast region

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 11:25, Leedslad said:

Hi chris76.     Bishop Auckland to Dover is a bit of a trek.  Have you considered Hull to Zeebrugge?  Many people from NE England and Scotland use this crossing to avoid driving down the country to Dover.  We live near Leeds and have been very happy using Hull / Zeebrugge for many years as a drive to Hull is far more pleasant than a trek to Dover.  We take our holiday  usually in SW France and the difference  between driving from, for instance, Toulouse and Calais and Toulouse and Zeebrugge is negligible and once back over the water we only have an easy drive home.  Something to consider?  Or maybe I've 'bowled you a wrong 'un'?

John.    :)

Agree Leedslad  we are using the Hull to Zeebrugge this year on our way to Lake Garda and coming back via Amsterdam and Newcastle. Plan to go via Switzerland but yet to decide whether to use a tunnel or one of the passes.

2 hours ago, Deryckh said:

Agree Leedslad  we are using the Hull to Zeebrugge this year on our way to Lake Garda and coming back via Amsterdam and Newcastle. Plan to go via Switzerland but yet to decide whether to use a tunnel or one of the passes.

How do you get a decent price on that ferry? Our caravan is stored near Leeds but when I priced the ferry up yesterday for a trip around March 12 with a caravan it was over £300 on their own website!

36 minutes ago, AndersG said:

How do you get a decent price on that ferry? Our caravan is stored near Leeds but when I priced the ferry up yesterday for a trip around March 12 with a caravan it was over £300 on their own website!

If you are a Club member Talk to their travel departments and ask about Saturday/Sunday  deals when the trucks aren't  going, and ask about package deals of ferry plus campsite.  But Talk to them - they can find deals when you and I can't. 

Edited by moorgate

If you use the Newcastle - Amsterdam DFDS ferry before the end of April, you will find that the caravan goes free on a Sunday and Monday nights.  This makes it a relative cheap crossing but much more expensive when you return later.

Thanks. That's a route I never thought of but it seems you need to book 30 days in advance to get the caravan go free.

7 hours ago, AndersG said:

We book the ferry through Caravan and Motorhome Club.

John.

• Like 1