Sign in to follow this  
chris76

first trip abroad

think its probably the best option, we can pack up sat morning get away in the afternoon,should take us 7 hours to get down,kids can sleep in the car/traffic shouldnt be too bad.

I live very close to you and have done the trip many times, and I would not do it in one go. Many do go straight down to the Caravan and Motorhome Club site near Dover and choose a ferry pitch for an early exit, but I stop near Peterborough mid afternoon and take it as part of my holiday.   Also even if you have only quick comfort stops, these add up so you need to add a hour or two extra to be on the safe side. I would give myself 7 hours to do it in the car solo with a good meal break and two 10 minute stops.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

We book our site for the following year in Spain when we are there, if we don't all the best pitches have gone. As you can imagine the sites along the Costa Brava are very popular at that time of year with Germans and the Dutch.

We looked at a site that had fully serviced pitches and it was just south of Roses.   Unfortunately most of the site seemed to be covered with pine trees so gave it a miss.   Further south a much nicer site called Aquarius which seemed to be good value for money.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Leedslad said:

Hi chris76.     Bishop Auckland to Dover is a bit of a trek.  Have you considered Hull to Zeebrugge?  Many people from NE England and Scotland use this crossing to avoid driving down the country to Dover.  We live near Leeds and have been very happy using Hull / Zeebrugge for many years as a drive to Hull is far more pleasant than a trek to Dover.  We take our holiday  usually in SW France and the difference  between driving from, for instance, Toulouse and Calais and Toulouse and Zeebrugge is negligible and once back over the water we only have an easy drive home.  Something to consider?  Or maybe I've 'bowled you a wrong 'un'?

John.    :)

I think he's already looked into this, £900 is what he was quoted. In 2016 we went to Cornwall via Calais-Dover, on the way back was the weekend the good old French decided to play silly ***** and there were 20+ mile queues on the M20 for days. We had no chance of getting home from there so I drove all the way to Hull and got the overnight ferry to Rottedam, £600 one way!!!! To give P&O credit though I asked them to refund my Dover - Calais crossing which I was unable to take and they did.

If it wasn't such a massive price difference to the Kent crossings (and the dog) I'd choose Hull every time.

Edited by Borussia 1900
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We looked at a site that had fully serviced pitches and it was just south of Roses.   Unfortunately most of the site seemed to be covered with pine trees so gave it a miss.   Further south a much nicer site called Aquarius which seemed to be good value for money.

That's probably the one we use http://www. campinglaguna. com/en/ we pay €74. 90 per night for a 'Special Pitch' with 4 people in the main season

Those pine trees are a god send when the sun is blaring and it was 40+ degrees last year. Aquarius isn't for me, it's used by youth groups in the static and tented part and they are annoying :)

We've stayed in many sites along that coast, some much bigger (and more expensive) than Laguna. We've been to Laguna about 10 times over 20 years so it must be OK or we wouldn't keep going back.

Edited by Borussia 1900

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

That's probably the one we use http://www. campinglaguna. com/en/ we pay €74. 90 per night for a 'Special Pitch' with 4 people in the main season

Those pine trees are a god send when the sun is blaring and it was 40+ degrees last year. Aquarius isn't for me, it's used by youth groups in the static and tented part and they are annoying :)

We've stayed in many sites along that coast, some much bigger (and more expensive) than Laguna. We've been to Laguna about 10 times over 20 years so it must be OK or we wouldn't keep going back.

We would not be going there at the height of the silly season when costs are high and it is too hot for the dogs preferring May / June.   Nice site except for too many pine trees and we were impressed however not that many fully serviced pitches.   Pine trees can make a nasty mess on your off if the sap falls onto the roof and then dries.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Durbanite said:

We would not be going there at the height of the silly season when costs are high and it is too hot for the dogs preferring May / June.   Nice site except for too many pine trees and we were impressed however not that many fully serviced pitches.   Pine trees can make a nasty mess on your off if the sap falls onto the roof and then dries.

The pitch we have is directly on the lake and doesn’t have trees higher than our caravan, but at the other side of the site the trees are very high and all the caravans there get covered in bird poop

Edited by Borussia 1900

On 05/01/2019 at 11:29, montesa said:

wow havent had time to check this  for a few days, thanks for all the input guys, we're more than likely going to book the tunnel, bit concerned to borrusia say its quite narrow though, my van is 2. 4m wide hope theres a good run up to get it perfectly straight,or the sides are carpeted,lol

looking at a crossing at around 2 pm on a sunday now so 7 hours to folkestone should be fine and we'll leave at about 5. 30am to be sure. And book a site near calais for the night

also just been on live chat to the Caravan and Motorhome Club,iv been trying to do too much in one go thinking if i book a crossing then id get the best discount booking all the sites together, turns out the discount is only for the ferry and you only need to book 4 nights anyway, which would give me more time later to plan a route.

Plenty room to get on the train for the tunnel, my van is 2. 5m wide and 8. 2m long no problem.

Ian

28 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

Plenty room to get on the train for the tunnel, my van is 2. 5m wide and 8. 2m long no problem.

Ian

So is mine and there are only a few centimetres either side of the wheels, not a problem if you take your time and have confidence but if you’re a bit of a flapper you might struggle. The OP’s is only 2. 4 so that’ll be fine 

They drive coaches on to the same trains and they are wider than any caravan

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TedNewman said:

They drive coaches on to the same trains and they are wider than any caravan

Coaches have a body width of 2. 55m (5cm more than my caravan) but the width between the wheels is slightly less

On 08/01/2019 at 13:06, Borussia 1900 said:

I think he's already looked into this, £900 is what he was quoted. In 2016 we went to Cornwall via Calais-Dover, on the way back was the weekend the good old French decided to play silly ***** and there were 20+ mile queues on the M20 for days. We had no chance of getting home from there so I drove all the way to Hull and got the overnight ferry to Rottedam, £600 one way!!!! To give P&O credit though I asked them to refund my Dover - Calais crossing which I was unable to take and they did.

If it wasn't such a massive price difference to the Kent crossings (and the dog) I'd choose Hull every time.

We're looking at this at the moment.

We nearly always go Hull Zeebrugge but I like to check and money is tight so we priced up Dover Calais too.

Prices through the C-MC for two weeks in August including a couple of nights site fees were £580 Hull, £300 Dover.

The Hull crossing effectively saves us to nights site fees and about £100 in fuel and we do very much enjoy it

• Like 2

On 12/01/2019 at 17:15, svimes said:

We're looking at this at the moment.

We nearly always go Hull Zeebrugge but I like to check and money is tight so we priced up Dover Calais too.

Prices through the C-MC for two weeks in August including a couple of nights site fees were £580 Hull, £300 Dover.

The Hull crossing effectively saves us to nights site fees and about £100 in fuel and we do very much enjoy it

hi yeah i get it, but it would take maybe 3 hours to go to hull or 7 folkestone and then a longer crossing and then be further away from where we are heading,would rather drive straight down and be straight through tunnel

Edited by chris76

1 hour ago, chris76 said:

hi yeah i get it, but it would take maybe 3 hours to go to hull or 7 folkestone and then a longer crossing and then be further away from where we are heading,would rather drive straight down and be straight through tunnel

Fair enough. I just wanted to let to know that the price can come down a fair bit depending on how you book it.

We're still considering Dover Calais on the way out this year as I don't mind starting the holiday with a long drive. If we do, we'll drive down in the evening and get an early hours of the morning ferry and stop for a good rest a free hours into France. The tunnel always seems very expensive to me.   Pretty sure we'll come home on the Zeebrugge route as it's a nice relaxing end to the holiday and then just two hours home.

Edited by svimes

26 minutes ago, svimes said:

Fair enough. I just wanted to let to know that the price can come down a fair bit depending on how you book it.

We're still considering Dover Calais on the way out this year as I don't mind starting the holiday with a long drive. If we do, we'll drive down in the evening and get an early hours of the morning ferry and stop for a good rest a free hours into France. The tunnel always seems very expensive to me.   Pretty sure we'll come home on the Zeebrugge route as it's a nice relaxing end to the holiday and then just two hours home.

1 hour ago, chris76 said:

hi just booked it,20/07 2pm to 31/08 2pm,£408 2 adults 2 kids 2 dogs on the tunnel, so im happy with that.

will worry about the sites/route in between later

29 minutes ago, svimes said:

Where you off to this year Mr Vimes? Austria again?

9 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Where you off to this year Mr Vimes? Austria again?

Probably the Dordogne but we tend to wind our way there and back and judge it by the weather. We'll book at least one site with the ferry to get the saving but the rest may well decide en route. Last year was a bit different as we weren't sure of availability in Germany and Austria.

14 minutes ago, svimes said:

Probably the Dordogne but we tend to wind our way there and back and judge it by the weather. We'll book at least one site with the ferry to get the saving but the rest may well decide en route. Last year was a bit different as we weren't sure of availability in Germany and Austria.

Are you allowing yourself an extra 2 days for Visa and Customs checks at Calais? :ph34r:

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Are you allowing yourself an extra 2 days for Visa and Customs checks at Calais? :ph34r:

Lol. ... hoping we've binned the whole sorry idea by then or that my free unicorn will have arrived (saw it on a bus).

We'll probably sail from Hull tbh, having looked again at prices. Potential for queues at Dover also factored in

1 hour ago, svimes said:

Lol. ... hoping we've binned the whole sorry idea by then or that my free unicorn will have arrived (saw it on a bus).

We'll probably sail from Hull tbh, having looked again at prices. Potential for queues at Dover also factored in

Couldn't agree more!  But I'm still holding my breath.

Just booked Hull Zeebrugge for two reasons.

1. The possibility of Impending doom becoming a reality and chaos at Dover

2.  In my case a drive of around 1. 5 hours on sensible roads with sensible traffic.   My worst fear has always been the drive north from Dover and around London and up the M1 or A1.   I truly detest it especially after (last year 4,000 miles) driving in Europe.

• Like 2

Someone mentioned Montelimar as a stopping place earlier.

If you don't fear stopping on a motorway aire then the Montelimar one going south is excellent.   Loads of parking in wooded areas well away from the road and, I'm told, patrolled at night. I've stopped a few times along with many others with no problem.   There are restaurants, showers etc available too.   Check it out on Google maps.  

If you are ONLY wanting a stop but prefer a site then leave the Autoroute du Soleil at J17 and take the N7 towards Montelimar.    Camping Floral is a 5 minute drive and for an overnight perfectly reasonable.   Small pool and food available.   Small site but no reservation required out of season.   Friendly owner.   Electricity.   Easy access and you pass a service station where fuel is not motorway prices. Again easy access.   Toilets etc ok - clean.  

I would ONLY stay a night but nothing wrong with the place in my view.

16 minutes ago, John_b_45 said:

Someone mentioned Montelimar as a stopping place earlier

The Services at Montelimar in the main holiday season are chocker, an absolute nightmare to get in and out of, the area is known for the production of nougat and they sell it there by the bucket load, they must have over 100 different varieties.

7 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

The Services at Montelimar in the main holiday season are chocker, an absolute nightmare to get in and out of, the area is known for the production of nougat and they sell it there by the bucket load, they must have over 100 different varieties.

Strange my experience is completely different.   In the "bad old days" when we would stop at Montelimar  quite often it was during the school holidays.   I've stopped a couple of  times since recent years.

Never had any problems parking up for the night when arriving early evening and usually plenty of spaces empty much later on.

The places to stop are custom made alongside roads that meander through wooded areas.    There are many of them and they are completely away from the main drag where solo motorists stop.   As I suggested use Google maps and "drive" around a bit.

As for getting in or out I'm baffled!  Never had any issues with driving into the aire nor leaving it in the morning.

Just goes to show how unlucky you must have been! 

As for nougat.   Of course it will be sold at Montelimar - and is.   In fact there's a shop dedicated to it.   But there are other shops, restaurants, snack bars, sandwich places etc.   tro. The aire is popular but spacious and designed to cope - and in my experience it copes exceptionally well.  

After years of trying to stop at Montelimar for fuel or a comfort break we don’t bother anymore 9 times out of 10 there is nowhere to park.

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:50, ian16527 said:

I live very close to you and have done the trip many times, and I would not do it in one go. Many do go straight down to the Caravan and Motorhome Club site near Dover and choose a ferry pitch for an early exit, but I stop near Peterborough mid afternoon and take it as part of my holiday.   Also even if you have only quick comfort stops, these add up so you need to add a hour or two extra to be on the safe side. I would give myself 7 hours to do it in the car solo with a good meal break and two 10 minute stops.

I've often travelled from Yorkshire and stopped at Abbey Wood and picked up a mid morning ferry the nest day.