chrisbo

tow car

Hi very soon we will be buying a bailey phoenix 440 but first need to change my tow car but I was looking at buying a petrol one this time any ideas on what are good tow cars thank you

Probably need an idea of budget and what sort of thing you are looking at (saloon, SUV, estate, people carrier) to help

1 minute ago, FrankBullet said:

Probably need an idea of budget and what sort of thing you are looking at (saloon, SUV, estate, people carrier) to help

budget about £10000  suv  van and car must not go over 3500kg thank you

Hi Ssangyong Korando could fit the bill on my second one now 2. 2auto great tow car 

thanks for that

whats the road tax like

Caravan at 1316 kg will allow you a vehicle with a maximum gvw plated under 2184 kg to stay under the 3500 kg which will limit the choice .

Petrol reduces the choice further but there are more on the market every year but you can get some good buys with the dump the diesel tree huggers .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

3 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Caravan at 1316 kg will allow you a vehicle with a maximum gvw plated under 2184 kg to stay under the 3500 kg which will limit the choice .

Dave

21 minutes ago, dobbo said:

Hi Ssangyong Korando could fit the bill on my second one now 2. 2auto great tow car 

whats the road tax like on them

26 minutes ago, dobbo said:

Too heavy and diesel.

Volkswagen Tiguan 1st generation 2. 0TSi - not sure on their gross vehicle weight though which might tip you through 3500kg (they have a kerb weight of about 1650kg) 

My choice would be a Skoda Yeti 1. 8TSi 4x4 - half a dozen around at your budget but you will need to travel possibly to get one. Great car.

To heavy ? Going by these posts at over 2184 kg plated GVW .

Dave

1 hour ago, dobbo said:

Hi £250 for 12 months 

Octavia 2L TDi, possibly estate.

The media don't really understand the diesel situation, but you will if you try towing with a petrol engine! Expect 30 or more towing with a diesel, but nearer 20 or less with petrol. Modern diesels are nothing like as dirty as they are made out to be. Get anything after about 2012 and it will be Euro5 which is only a tad worse than the Euro6 of today that most places accept. The problem is the many many diesels on the road that belch out muck: the object of the exercise is to get them off the road. France and Germany have pollution stickers and they are set at such levels that even when pollution is high Euro5 will still be able to enter cities etc.

OP has asked for petrol suggestions, I’m not sure spending time persuading them to get a diesel is entirely helpful

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

To heavy ? Going by these posts at over 2184 kg plated GVW .

Dave

Gross vehicle weight 2260 kg + 1316 kg MTPLM = 3576 kg so over the B-licence limit.

You ought to be able to get a decent Mondeo estate about 3 or 4 years old.

Edit - just checked and it looks as if the newer Mondeo is about 100 kg too heavy.

Edited by Paul1957

Don't forget it's the gross vehicle weight + MTLP of caravan must be under 3500kg if you haven't got B + E on your licence. The vehicle kerb weight is irrelevant.

Octavia VRS TSi 2. 0 ?

Yeti 1. 8TSi or 1. 4 TSi

All within weight and budget limits and modern direct injection turbo petrols.

Will depend on how you prioritise performance/size etc.

Edited by logiclee

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 18:33, Woodentop said:

Octavia 2L TDi, possibly estate.

The media don't really understand the diesel situation, but you will if you try towing with a petrol engine!

Comparing the 2. 0TDi and 2. 0 TSi in a used Mk3 Octavia the petrol offers the better towing performance. Significantly more power, wider spread of torque and shorter gearing for more torque at the wheels.

2. 0 Diesel

150PS, 340NM 1750rpm to 3000rpm

VRS Diesel

184PS, 380NM 1750rpm to 3000rpm

Petrol 2. 0 TSI

From

220PS, 350NM 1500rpm to 4400rpm

to

245PS, 370NM 1600rpm to 4300rpm

Yes you will take a hit on economy but that is always down to personal acceptance and annual mileage. I use more fuel per year in my 1. 6TDi commuter than my Brother in Law does in his V8 Petrol.