Sign in to follow this  
Johnaldo

CMC's new ESSO fuel card

I think I read on CMC site that T&Cs have altered and one of the terms is that there is a surcharge if less than  litres are taken. Not looked myself as I am not interested in obtaining the card

3 minutes ago, Easy T said:

I think I read on CMC site that T&Cs have altered and one of the terms is that there is a surcharge if less than  litres are taken. Not looked myself as I am not interested in obtaining the card

Thanks for your input.

Yes, you are correct, they can charge you extra for less than 15 litres or more than 80 litres!

That is, of course, if they don't charge you twice or your pin doesn't work, in which case you'll pay the pump price etc, as has happened to others:angry:

Durbanite.

Thanks for posting that VERY informative information, I for one found it fascinating. Looking at the figures the “posh” stuff COULD deliver UP TO a 3% improvement in fuel consumption, but by my (rough) reckoning the fuel costs more than an additional 3%.

So any increase in MPG is wiped out by the additional cost anyway.

I have always been somewhat sceptical about these these so called super fuels. IF they really are that much better I would expect the fuel companies to REALLY hammer us with advertising, but they don't. The reason for that being??? They cannot prove the advantage so as far as I am concerned the words “oil” and “snake” come to mind.

BEFORE anyone starts on about “well I’ve tried it and I get X% better economy” I suggest they re-read the article very closely, it’s apparent that it’s virtually impossible to do a like for like comparison. For my part I am happy to use supermarket fuel, it meets all of the required specs, and modern vehicles are designed to use fuel that meets that spec. If you wish to use super fuel then that, like a lot of other things in life, is a choice you are perfectly free to make.  

Andy

2 hours ago, Barum said:

Thanks for your input.

Yes, you are correct, they can charge you extra for less than 15 litres or more than 80 litres!

That is, of course, if they don't charge you twice or your pin doesn't work, in which case you'll pay the pump price etc, as has happened to others:angry:

I understand that the till receipt will show full price but that your account will be by a discounted amount

20 minutes ago, Easy T said:

I understand that the till receipt will show full price but that your account will be by a discounted amount

This is true, unless the card doesn't work at the pumps, then you would have to pay by some other means there and then at the pump price.

I believe this has happened to others:unsure:

Still waiting for mine having applied 6th Dec.

Me too Jiffy176. Seriously not impressed!

19 hours ago, Easy T said:

Minimum is 15 litres otherwise £1 surcharge.   Previously it was 5 litres.   Same surcharge applies if more than 80 litres.   From empty we can take over 90 litres.  

However I doubt if this would not apply to those who signed up under the old T&Cs as I don't think any of us have had an email asking us to agree to the new T&Cs and giving us the option to cancel the contract if we do not agree? 

I would not assume anything as whilst it should not apply the way the communications from this company appear shambolic who knows

2 minutes ago, Easy T said:

I would not assume anything as whilst it should not apply the way the communications from this company appear shambolic who knows

Come to think of it there is legislation in place regarding changes to T&Cs so the old T&Cs would still apply.   Sadly you are correct about the roll out being shambolic!

10 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Come to think of it there is legislation in place regarding changes to T&Cs so the old T&Cs would still apply.   

Indeed if no communication then the changes would not apply . .... doesn't mean that they wont be applied though ;)

• Haha 2

I've just checked the FAQ re the Esso card on the CMC site:

Q: My card has not arrived?

A: Once registered online your card should arrive within 28 working days. If your card has not arrived after 28 working days please contact My Esso Card directly. Email accounts@myessocard. com

I ordered mine on 6th December, I've had no reply to any emails I've sent and the nobody answers the phone.

My latest edition of CMC magazine has just arrived and the My Esso Card offer is still available.

Edited by SCP1959

1 minute ago, SCP1959 said:

A: Once registered online your card should arrive within 28 working days. If your card has not arrived after 28 working days please contact My Esso Card directly. Email accounts@myessocard. com

I ordered mine on 6th December, I've had no reply to any emails I've sent and the nobody answers the phone.

You forgot to add that no one at the C C seems to care either as any posts just state that they are investigating it.   Seems a standard answer when they cannot resolve an issue.

22 minutes ago, SCP1959 said:

My latest edition of CMC magazine has just arrived and the My Esso Card offer is still available.

The CMC just love to "chuck some more logs on the fire " by still promoting this "offer":rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, Barum said:

The CMC just love to "chuck some more logs on the fire " by still promoting this "offer"

Very pleased with my card. The Esso garage where I live has ridiculously high prices for its fuel as its the last garage before the airport and I assume they sell fuel to returning rentals. Nice now to be able to buy fuel at a reasonable price without having to travel far. I have not experienced any issues with using it and can happily abide by the 15<>80 litre limits.

Edited by Nilrem

5 minutes ago, Nilrem said:

Very pleased with my card. The Esso garage where I live has ridiculously high prices for its fuel as its the last garage before the airport and I assume they sell fuel to returning rentals. Nice now to be able to buy fuel at a reasonable price without having to travel far. I have not experienced any issues with using it and can happily abide by the 15<>80 litre limits.

Hi Nilrem,  glad it's all working out well for you.

Unfortunately, reading the many posts here and elsewhere I think you have been very fortunate as many have not been so lucky!

according to a new post today, they are still double dipping leaving people out of pocket!

21 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

according to a new post today, they are still double dipping leaving people out of pocket!

Not sure that is quite correct. There was a CMC post today yes. But the contents of the post was initially posted in the 'story' section of CMC forum. Although the post was posted today it said in that section that the 'story' happened on 5th January. So perhaps not a recent 'double dipping' but a very delayed refund.

Edited by Easy T

On 21/01/2019 at 17:47, Mr Plodd said:

Used mine a few times now, no issues whatsoever. Always been charged the price quoted by text, not been “double charged”.

Andy

And us 😉

Used it for the first time a week or so ago, monies came out the bank charged at the text rate. No problem. Would be happy to use again.

Well, little did I know 5 or 6 weeks ago, when I started this thread off, that it would open up such a Pandora’s Box!  I was just expecting a couple of comments for or against the idea, but it’s turned out to be a much bigger issue than that.

Having decided to wait-and-see before possibly applying for the card, I thought I’d list the pros and cons that have come from all your replies (apologies if I've missed anything relevant).

Pros

• No up-front costs
  • Possible cheaper fuel, but you may have to drive a distance to an ESSO garage to get it
  • You don’t have to use it, even though you’ve got it
  • Can be used at usually-expensive motorway services

Cons

• Long delay in delivering the card
  • Only applies to UK
  • Can only be used with a debit card
  • Possible security worries as they hold all your bank card details
  • Missing out on Nectar, Shell, Waitrose and Tesco points if not using supermarket filling stations
  • Not much use to those who live some distance from the nearest ESSO garage
  • Instances of double charging
  • Poor customer communications both by email and phone
  • Problems with the T&Cs
  • Minimum and maximum amounts when filling up, and possible surcharges if exceeded
  • PIN number problems
  • Weekly price creeping up?
  • Worries about Pump King
  • ‘Find your nearest Esso station’ not working

Hmmm!  On balance I think I’ll hold off a bit longer :rolleyes:

John

BTW, did anyone on here win one of the 20 prizes of free fuel in the draw on 11th January?

first off i am still waiting for my card ordered on the 6th December,

you can get tesco point's using the Esso card but only until Esso stop not sure yet what we will be going to as i have not heard anything yet, i work at my local Esso.

for the price rise's this is normal for all fuel cards i will give you a comparison from Keyfuels and this Card starting from week begining 9/12/18 this is for diesel

Esso £1. 261

Keyfuels £1. 252

16/12/18

Esso £1. 263

Keyfuels£1. 249

23/12/18

Esso £1. 236

Keyfuels£1. 226

30/12/18

Esso £1. 19

Keyfuels£1. 187

6/1/19

Esso £1. 214

Keyfuels£1. 198

13/1/19

Esso £1. 235

Keyfuels£1. 227

20/1/19

Esso £1. 253

Keyfuels£1. 239

28/1/19

Esso £1. 251

Keyfuels£1. 237

i was talking with a customer the other day and they are on a three week delay through the blue light card, the benefits with the Esso card is you can get the discount on petrol and super unleaded and diesel, with keyfuels and other cards you only get it for normal diesel.

9 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

Well, little did I know 5 or 6 weeks ago, when I started this thread off, that it would open up such a Pandora’s Box!  I was just expecting a couple of comments for or against the idea, but it’s turned out to be a much bigger issue than that.

Having decided to wait-and-see before possibly applying for the card, I thought I’d list the pros and cons that have come from all your replies (apologies if I've missed anything relevant).

Pros

• No up-front costs
  • Possible cheaper fuel, but you may have to drive a distance to an ESSO garage to get it
  • You don’t have to use it, even though you’ve got it
  • Can be used at usually-expensive motorway services

Cons

• Long delay in delivering the card
  • Only applies to UK
  • Can only be used with a debit card
  • Possible security worries as they hold all your bank card details
  • Missing out on Nectar, Shell, Waitrose and Tesco points if not using supermarket filling stations
  • Not much use to those who live some distance from the nearest ESSO garage
  • Instances of double charging
  • Poor customer communications both by email and phone
  • Problems with the T&Cs
  • Minimum and maximum amounts when filling up, and possible surcharges if exceeded
  • PIN number problems
  • Weekly price creeping up?
  • Worries about Pump King
  • ‘Find your nearest Esso station’ not working

Hmmm!  On balance I think I’ll hold off a bit longer :rolleyes:

John

BTW, did anyone on here win one of the 20 prizes of free fuel in the draw on 11th January?

Our original T&Cs stated that the card could be used on the continent however the debit would register as an over seas transaction and your bank may then charge you for the privilege negating any savings!

Having briefly looked at CCs FAQs a few thoughts.

A: My Esso Card is the only consumer facing fuel card.   (Esso).

So does that mean the only consumer facing fuel card or the only Esso consumer facing fuel card?

A: If you register for a My Esso Card via www. myessocard. com you are registering your details with My Esso Card and not with the Caravan and Motorhome Club. If you register for My Esso Card you will be entering into a legal agreement with PK Fuel Limited. See full Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy by visiting www. myessocard. com.

Neat trick if you can do this as www. myessocard. com. no longer functions as a web page and no redirect

A: To register visit www. myessocard. com and use access code CMC-1118-MEC. Complete the simple online form and you will receive the card within 28 working days. Once your card has arrived you will need to login to your My Esso Account to access your unique PIN number (PIN available within 24 hours of registering).

Again: Neat trick if you can do this as www. myessocard. com. no longer functions as a web page and no redirect

A: There is no sign up fee, no transaction fee, no processing fee and no minimum spend.

No minum spend but penalised if you buy less than 15 litres. May well be more than the saving so I would say that you would be penalised

A: The saving varies based on the My Esso Card special rate and Esso pump price rate. On average you will save 8p per litre on premium diesel or unleaded fuel and 5p per litre on standard diesel or unleaded fuel. That’s a typical saving of £5. 60 per tank on premium fuel or £3. 50 on standard fuel (based on 70 litre tank of fuel).

For the average savimgs to be at 8p and a minimum of 1p this suggests that savings well beyond 8p must be available if 8p is the average Any users noticed this?

For me the FAQs raise as many as they answer

>> Neat trick if you can do this as www. myessocard. com. no longer functions as a web page and no redirect

It redirects for me.