Sign in to follow this  
Johnaldo

CMC's new ESSO fuel card

14 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

Mine arrived today, good start, I have been trying to remember the PIN for the past few months, now the blighters have changed it

Don't worry it might be on the front of your card like mine :lol:

14 hours ago, Toein said:

Don't worry it might be on the front of your card like mine :lol:

It's not there, but the embossed digits  are too close for comfort, not that secure IMO

A couple of reports have just emerged on the caravan club forum of PK not honouring the 'members are guaranteed to save 1p per litre on the pump price'.  Just the latest drama!

On 26/02/2019 at 08:24, Les Medes said:

It's not there, but the embossed digits  are too close for comfort, not that secure IMO

Maybe we've all got the same PIN? :o

4 hours ago, Tigger said:

A couple of reports have just emerged on the caravan club forum of PK not honouring the 'members are guaranteed to save 1p per litre on the pump price'.  Just the latest drama!

Wash your mouth out, mentioning that Other Inferior Forum on here :D

15 hours ago, Tigger said:

Is this true? This is one of the main reasons to have the card in the first place! My local Esso garages are cheaper than the card price but still more than 4p pre litre dearer than Morrisons and Asda. I will continue to use these where possible and will not bother with the card at all locally. I suppose it could help on the motorway though....

20 minutes ago, Wonky said:

Is this true? ...

I guess you could fill up and report back!

I get the impression that things are running better now, but its not for me yet.  I've removed my debit card details from the pump king site, and don't intend to use the card for now.  I'm not terminating it as I'm open to using it when PK get the admin settled, and its clear what the Ts&Cs really are (the Ts&Cs seem to have changed at least twice without the requisite notice being given).

I'm also concerned about the dodgy-looking PIN and what my liability is should my card be stolen or cloned.

Edited by Tigger

16 hours ago, Tigger said:

It stated in the letter that the card could be used on the continent however they will not do the £0.01p discount so another lie.  Also the savings have dropped from over 5p to just 3p.  I think we will start using BP again even if it is 4p dearer as also get Nectar points at the moment so saving there anyway.

51 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

It stated in the letter that the card could be used on the continent however they will not do the £0.01p discount so another lie.  Also the savings have dropped from over 5p to just 3p.  I think we will start using BP again even if it is 4p dearer as also get Nectar points at the moment so saving there anyway.

To be fair, it does say "Discounted rate only applies on fuel purchased from Esso stations in the UK."

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/membership/member-offers/fuel-card/

51 minutes ago, Tigger said:

To be fair, it does say "Discounted rate only applies on fuel purchased from Esso stations in the UK."

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/membership/member-offers/fuel-card/

The letter with the new card totally contradicts the T&Cs and also what we have been told by the C.C.  The letter clearly states that the card can be used in Europe however the current T&Cs stated only in the UK.

The current T&Cs go on to  state "3.4A discount will automatically be applied to all transactions and applies to all Fuel."  

BTW the current T&Cs also define "fuel" as (b)Fuel: Diesel, Unleaded, Premium Diesel and Premium Unleaded fuel only.  This seems to indicate any brand of fuel however another definition states Fuel Card: Esso International fuel card handed out by Pump King to the Cardholder which seems to indicate that Esso are behind the card and ultimately responsible as Pumpkin Head is only an intermediary dishing out the cards.

A lot of contradictory statements!

6 hours ago, Durbanite said:

The letter with the new card totally contradicts the T&Cs and also what we have been told by the C.C.  The letter clearly states that the card can be used in Europe however the current T&Cs stated only in the UK.

The current T&Cs go on to  state "3.4A discount will automatically be applied to all transactions and applies to all Fuel."  

BTW the current T&Cs also define "fuel" as (b)Fuel: Diesel, Unleaded, Premium Diesel and Premium Unleaded fuel only.  This seems to indicate any brand of fuel however another definition states Fuel Card: Esso International fuel card handed out by Pump King to the Cardholder which seems to indicate that Esso are behind the card and ultimately responsible as Pumpkin Head is only an intermediary dishing out the cards.

A lot of contradictory statements!

I agree.  There seem to be three sources of 'promises'

• The Caravan club website, which includes the 1p saving but suggests UK only.
  • The letter from PumpKing, which seems to promise savings across Europe.
  • The PumpKing Ts&Cs, which have no dates or other forms of change control on them.

And then there are the complications which arise from early adopters signing up to the myEssoCard Ts&Cs.  Plus the fact that none of the Pumpking Ts&Cs changes seem to have been enacted with the notice they should have been.

• Like 1

Just received my card after 2 months of waiting! used for the first time on Monday and put £30.00 of fuel in my car, 4 days later i see it has gone out of my bank, £30.40p so it has actually cost me .40p i'm confused.

Again, just in case anyone is interested this was posted on the CMC forum today, by their Community Manager:

"In the event that the Esso forecourt price is cheaper than the Pump King price, please retain your receipt and email a copy to customer.service@pump-king.co.uk. Pump King will credit you 1p per litre to your account." 

Now, I for one, find this system appalling really, it means that if this scenario occurs, you have to scan your receipt, send it to PK, who are renowned for not replying to email requests, in the vain hope that they will refund the money to your account, what a joke:angry:

This was NOT how it was explained when this whole debacle was launched, it's crazy! Grrr!

29 minutes ago, Barum said:

... send it to PK, who are renowned for not replying to email requests, in the vain hope that they will refund the money to your account, what a joke:angry:

PK have replied quite civilly to my recent emailed requests for help and information. My experience suggests that 'vain hope' is not the case.

As it should be?

I'm pleased you're satisfied.;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barum said:

Again, just in case anyone is interested this was posted on the CMC forum today, by their Community Manager:

"In the event that the Esso forecourt price is cheaper than the Pump King price, please retain your receipt and email a copy to customer.service@pump-king.co.uk. Pump King will credit you 1p per litre to your account." 

Now, I for one, find this system appalling really, it means that if this scenario occurs, you have to scan your receipt, send it to PK, who are renowned for not replying to email requests, in the vain hope that they will refund the money to your account, what a joke:angry:

This was NOT how it was explained when this whole debacle was launched, it's crazy! Grrr!

If you are unhappy with anything to do with your card the answer is very simple.

Simply don’t  use it :rolleyes:

Andy

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

If you are unhappy with anything to do with your card the answer is very simple.

Simply don’t  use it :rolleyes:

Andy

Thanks for your thoughts Andy, already in the shredder! ;)

13 hours ago, Barum said:

It also means that you need to check the pump price against the PK price, and pay by some other means if the pump is cheaper.  Lots of hassle for a saving of 1p/litre - I guess they hope that people simply won't bother.

It all seems a bit heath robinson.  I'd have expected PK to be notified of the pump price and make the adjustment automatically.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Barum said:

Taking into consideration that Pumpkin have the software that shows the price on their website it should be a very simple matter for the software to pick up where the consumer is paying less than the Pumpkin price and to pass the credit straight away and deduct the correct amount.  Like others tow emails to Pumpkin have gone unanswered so have not bothered with them again. 

Ultimately it is the promoter who in this case is the C.C that is responsible.  Most is want the discount offered but not all the hassle associated with it plus the constantly changing T&Cs and other issues that seem to change on a weekly basis.

Finally had our card on Friday, not bad after ordering it at the end of November. I activated it straight away and used it today with no problems at all, that's all I need to do now is to register the credit card instead.

This thread is now at 369 posts and god knows how many views...

I am at a loss to think that anyone would think there is a genuine way to save money on fuel. Check on pump prices by all means but no one is going to offer serious saving, there is too much at stake. 

The twists and turns of this thread demonstrate that any promised savings are not easily made and that the system which purports to offer these savings is unreliable and inconsistent, to say the least. 

Savings of the odd penny here and there are so small in the overall the context of the cost of running a car I am surprised how much time people are prepared to spend their time following this "fools gold".

In the real world if you've got a few grand tied up in the equity of a car then these odd pennies in the fuel saving are just a drop in the ocean of the 'real cost of ownership', if folks are happy to spend their time pursuing a scheme with such a marginal benefit then so be it. But in the real world, I would seriously question why bother?

Before anyone asks I don't have money to burn, but equally I do value my time and sanity which I think, on the basis of posts here, would be seriously challenged by getting involved in this 'so-called' savings scheme. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jetA1 said:

This thread is now at 369 posts and god knows how many views...

I am at a loss to think that anyone would think there is a genuine way to save money on fuel. Check on pump prices by all means but no one is going to offer serious saving, there is too much at stake. 

The twists and turns of this thread demonstrate that any promised savings are not easily made and that the system which purports to offer these savings is unreliable and inconsistent, to say the least. 

Savings of the odd penny here and there are so small in the overall the context of the cost of running a car I am surprised how much time people are prepared to spend their time following this "fools gold".

In the real world if you've got a few grand tied up in the equity of a car then these odd pennies in the fuel saving are just a drop in the ocean of the 'real cost of ownership', if folks are happy to spend their time pursuing a scheme with such a marginal benefit then so be it. But in the real world, I would seriously question why bother?

Before anyone asks I don't have money to burn, but equally I do value my time and sanity which I think, on the basis of posts here, would be seriously challenged by getting involved in this 'so-called' savings scheme. 

:goodpost::goodpost:

We are in a position where the only most convenient service station is a an Esso station.  It was previously a BP station until about 6 months ago and was always busy to no idea why BP dumped it?  If it had remained a BP station we would have carried on using it and not bothered with the Esso card.

However we did bother with the Esso card due to al the promises and it being convenient for us so we do expect for it to work properly, not to have any hassles and save a couple of quid!  We have had various hassles due to the card not working correctly and savings have now dropped from 5p to 3p so now wondering about whether it is worth it?

Used mine for the first time this week - no drama!

Mind you, they must be keen for me to use it again as I have been sent next weeks prices 16 times (and counting) so far this morning!

Cheers

Keith

3 minutes ago, rslsys said:

Used mine for the first time this week - no drama!

Mind you, they must be keen for me to use it again as I have been sent next weeks prices 16 times (and counting) so far this morning!

Cheers

Keith

I've only had 11 texts so far... I'm feeling left out!!!

Receiving a text per minute since 1104. I've silenced the notifications so will check later for a count up!