Johnaldo

CMC's new ESSO fuel card

9 hours ago, Tigger said:

Remarkably similar!

+ 1:rolleyes:

Mine is totally different.

Andy

• Like 1

My card has finally arrived and I cannot see anywhere on the website to activate it!

A security feature perhaps

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Link it to Nationwide Flexplus card, you then get the interbank exchangevrate which is always the best!!

Andy

That is true, but at about £13 a month for very little it is probably best to use the Nationwide Credit Card.  Unfortunately you cannot link the credit card to the Esso card however I doubt very much if I would rack up £160 in charges using a debit card on the continent so the Flexpplus card to us is not worth the £13 a month.  :D

16 hours ago, rslsys said:

Just one thing, is anyone else's Unique ID very similar to the imposed, unchangeable PIN number - or is it just me?

A number of people have remarked on this on the C.C forum and it seems to be a security flaw.  Pump King are stating it is coincidence. 

I have just received my card having applied well before Christmas.  Having read some of the earlier experiences I was pretty certain I wasn't going to use it even if it did arrive.  But they have clearly done a lot of work on processes ahead of the new iteration, initial reports here seem to suggest its working better so have looked at things a bit further this morning.

The main Esso card website shows the two types of cards issued (National and International).  The CMC card received is clearly an international one, useable in Europe.  Where it talks about the fuel card network on the site it suggests that the card is also useable at BP and Shell garages - see  https://www.essocard.com/en-gb/network/  Am I reading that correctly?  But I see that the Pump King T&Cs only refers to Esso stations in its definitions.  Not sure which is correct.

Apologies if this has all been covered before in this, or other threads.  Couldn't see specific discussion of this point.

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

That is true, but at about £13 a month for very little it is probably best to use the Nationwide Credit Card.  Unfortunately you cannot link the credit card to the Esso card however I doubt very much if I would rack up £160 in charges using a debit card on the continent so the Flexpplus card to us is not worth the £13 a month.  :D

A number of people have remarked on this on the C.C forum and it seems to be a security flaw.  Pump King are stating it is coincidence. 

The Flexplus account includes excellent comprehensive holiday insurance (30 days as standard but longer periods are available for additional premium) AND Pan European breakdown cover (inc caravan) which, when you look at the cost of individual holiday and breakdown cover,  makes the monthly £160 annual premium  decent value.  There are a few other benefits like mobile phone insurance.

Each to his own of course. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

9 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

The Flexplus account includes excellent comprehensive holiday insurance (30 days as standard but longer periods are available for additional premium) AND Pan European breakdown cover (inc caravan) which, when you look at the cost of individual holiday and breakdown cover,  makes the monthly £160 annual premium  decent value.  There are a few other benefits like mobile phone insurance.

Each to his own of course. 

Andy

Unfortunately for medical reasons we still have to pay an excess to be covered.  Britannia breakdown will not cover a caravan in excess of 8m even if it is only 14cm which is why we use Red Pennant.  Phones are PAYG cheapies so not any issue.   I guess it works for some but not for others.  ;)

My new card has filled the Kuga up this evening no problems, and the fuel was below the text price 126.7 for diesel

10 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Strewth - been on the C.C. forum and read the whole, sorry saga.

That's three hours of my life I won't get back . . . 

Cheers

Keith

Edited by rslsys

After the myessocard website was taken down, the Caravan club team were towing the PK line that it 'was down for essential maintenance', but I see the offer is now referred to as the 'Pump King' offer on the caravan club website.  I strongly suspect that Esso's lawyers told them they were infringing the Esso trademark.  So much for a deal that took two years in the planning!

I have very mixed feelings about the card.  The savings are very useful, and hopefully the administration will now start to settle down.  But the chaos and lack of PIN security are a concern, and I'm not impressed that they changed the Ts&Cs (again) without due notice.

Edited by Tigger

1 hour ago, Tigger said:

I have very mixed feelings about the card.  The savings are very useful, and hopefully the administration will now start to settle down.  But the chaos and lack of PIN security are a concern, and I'm not impressed that they changed the Ts&Cs (again) without due notice.

From an opposite point of view, I share your mixed feelings - supermarket fuel costs are low in my area (123.7p for diesel) so the card rarely offers savings but the chaos is worrying, particularly if the card/pin isn't accepted which means paying a high price by an alternative method.

Supermarkets here are cheaper than the fuel prices they quote over the last three months . Even yesterday we filled up at Tesco because it was cheaper .

They are going to have to do better if they want me to use it .

Dave

As I keep saying, no-one is being forced into using this card!!

If it works for you that’s great, if it doesn’t then simply don’t use it!!

I have had my card since early January, using the card has only worked out a cheaper option for me twice! (I fill up about twice a week) 

Andy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

Supermarkets here are cheaper than the fuel prices they quote over the last three months . Even yesterday we filled up at Tesco because it was cheaper .

They are going to have to do better if they want me to use it .

Dave

I don't think the point of the Esso based card is to beat supermarket prices. The point is to encourage the purchase of a specific premium branded fuel at below normal forecourt prices. For the cheapest prices near your location join https://www.petrolprices.com

I have noted, on this forum, and many others relating directly and indirectly to vehicle ownership/use, that a significant number of motorists avoid cheaper supermarket fuels and only buy a preferred premium branded fuel. The reasons can be varied but things like better performance/mpg, cleansing additives and vehicle manufacturer recommendations are often cited.

For those that are happy to go for the cheaper supermarket price and rarely or never buy premium brands there's little point in having the card.

For those that applied for the card thinking it would beat prices at Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's et al........everyday's a school day! 😉

Edited by Legal Eagle
  • Haha 1

At the moment my offer on the text is £1.20.5 and at Sainsbury's £1.16 .

We have had tanker drivers on here that say they come from the same refinery and will top up branded fuel stations and then go and fill a supermarket and the additives are added on delivery .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Just now, CommanderDave said:

Dave

Before everyone gets excited those prices are for unleaded NOT Diesel!

Andy

No card yet and Saturdays post been!!!

No card for me this morning, Pump King have kindly sent me 2 fuel price texts to compensate :lol:

Got my card yesterday and filled up at the local Esso station. The pump price was £1.319 card price £1.264 so I am a happy bunny,  supermarket price is £1.239  but I very rarely use them  as Mr Plodd says if it works for you fine if it doesn't  don't use it . It does for me.

• Like 1

My card arrived on Thursday, I haven't verified/registered it yet and I think I'll wait and see how prices compare.

Got the usual text from PK this morning with diesel at £1.269. Local Morrisons and Asda are £1.237, with Tesco at £1.259.

Think I'll wait a little longer!

When first announced and I started getting the weekly text,  Esso card prices were 2 or 3p cheaper than the supermarkets but their prices have gradually crept up above them.

Mmmm...................I wonder?

Originally the savings were up to 6p and then 5pm and now 3p!

1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

We have had tanker drivers on here that say they come from the same refinery and will top up branded fuel stations and then go and fill a supermarket and the additives are added on delivery .

Dave

I can't ever recall seeing a supermarket branded tanker delivering to a premium brand fuel station  or a premium branded tanker delivering to a supermarket fuel station. I'm not saying it may never have happened but all of the supermarkets within my area - Morrisons, Asda, Tesco & Sainsbury's- have own brand tankers. 

The fact still remains that the Esso fuel card promotion doesn't claim to beat anyone's prices other than their own full pump prices. To expect otherwise is a false hope of your own making.

My local Texaco station is currently cheaper than the Esso card price for unleaded petrol. However, my car is diesel and the manufacturer recommends BP which also happens to be the closest to my home. I always used to put BP in my Jeep Commander diesel and before that, Ford Explorer petrol.

Edited by Legal Eagle

I worked within a refinery at one time and additives were put on board the tankers during the filling with fuel.

I believe the two nearby town filling stations  (Co-op) are actually Total but always contractor deliveries,yesterday Hansons.

geoff

28 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

I can't ever recall seeing a supermarket branded tanker delivering to a premium brand fuel station  or a premium branded tanker delivering to a supermarket fuel station. I'm not saying it may never have happened but all of the supermarkets within my area - Morrisons, Asda, Tesco & Sainsbury's- have own brand tankers. 

The fact still remains that the Esso fuel card promotion doesn't claim to beat anyone's prices other than their own full pump prices. To expect otherwise is a false hope of your own making.

My local Texaco station is currently cheaper than the Esso card price for unleaded petrol. However, my car is diesel and the manufacturer recommends BP which also happens to be the closest to my home. I always used to put BP in my Jeep Commander diesel and before that, Ford Explorer petrol.

In any one area, all regular petrol and regular diesel comes from the same tank at the distribution depot - the additives are added (pun intended) when the fuel is transferred to the filling station tank - as well as branded tankers, there are often plain unbranded ones able to supply any outlet.