Sign in to follow this  
Johnaldo

CMC's new ESSO fuel card

When my pin didn't work I called them  and gave details but nothing happened. I then emailed them and cancelled the fuel card. No reply.

Today they have sent the email advising I will be receiving another card.

Another email to try and cancel this card has gone on its way.

Thank goodness I cancelled my debit card.

They seem harder to shake off than my daughter's Ex . ... they obviously take no note either

Advised today that all Esso card holders will receive a replacement card by 18 Feb 19. ..

No email yet however in the meantime when we went to pay today for fuel the card was declined for whatever reason.   Embarrassing for my wife as she had to come back to the vehicle to get the debit card to pay for the fuel holding up a queue of people waiting to pay.

I've had the e-mail but can't find any detail as to what the 'enhanced offering' is!

Cheers

Keith

A bit of plagiarism as copied from another forum.   Interesting;

This promotion was managed by the Caravan Club and was supposed to be exclusively for its members.   It sounded too good to be true which is why many applied as we all thought that the CMC would have checked and verified the organisation offering the card to them.

We now have the following involved when a purchase is made;

Caravan Club who promoted the card

Wex who issue the card

Esso who offer the discount

Braintree who process the payment

Pump KIng who supposedly manage the card

Esso service station where the fuel is bought

Visa who process the payment a second time for the debit

Your bank or building society

I would think that ALL the above would take some sort of commission as none would do it for free.   This in turn will push up the price per litre of Esso fuel which is why it may be more expensive than other service stations in the area.  

Eventually it may be cheaper just to buy the fuel elsewhere as you are not gaining anything by buying from Esso.

Whoopee got a reply this morning.

They have passed my cancellation request to the accounts department.

No confirmation my data has been removed or they won't send any more cards or txts.

However a reply is indeed a red letter day.

The offer on Esso fuel is obviously a marketing ploy designed to increase the sale of expensive Esso fuel.   Supermarkets are offering petrol and diesel at a lower rate per Litre than Esso, even with that discount.   

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bessacarr425 said:

The offer on Esso fuel is obviously a marketing ploy designed to increase the sale of expensive Esso fuel.   Supermarkets are offering petrol and diesel at a lower rate per Litre than Esso, even with that discount.   

Only one week since early December has the fixed price been equal or lower than my local Asda - the attraction for me is to be able to refuel at Esso stations away from home without paying the exhorbitant price, over £1. 50 on the motorway yesterday - but the prospect of the card being declined and having to pay full price is good enough reason to cancel the card.

Esso do at least have premium diesel, which no other retailer in my locality does.

12 minutes ago, chrisn7 said:

Esso do at least have premium diesel, which no other retailer in my locality does.

The price differential, even at discount prices, is a lot to pay for even more extra cleaners - at least with premium petrol you get higher octane so more power and/or better economy - changing the cetane number doesn't have to same effect.

3 hours ago, bessacarr425 said:

Maybe that's the case where you live.

The PK price is consistently below my local supermarkets.

The way some are carrying on you would think that the Esso card is the ONLY option available to us to purchase fuel :rolleyes:

There is a HUGE amount of competition in relation to fuel pricing, if the Esso system doesn’t suit you, or you can buy it cheaper elsewhere, then simply don’t use it!! No one is forcing it on you.

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

We joined the scheme in late November and later found out of the C. C together forum that as per a post from a senior staff member;

To launch this great new offer, My Esso Card are giving Caravan and Motorhome Club members an exclusive chance to win free fuel. 10 lucky winners will win 175 litres of fuel and another 10 lucky winners 75 litres of fuel! Members need to register for a card and fill by 31 December 2018 to be entered into the random prize draw. Winners will automatically have the fuel credit added to their My Esso Card account.

It appears that although 6 weeks have passed since the end of December this draw has not taken place!

Whoops an email came in while I was writing the post stating that the draw will take place today.   However at the moment nothing of the C. C discussions forum>

Edited by Durbanite

Just received the text from Pump king for next weeks fuel prices and yet again it's 2p per litre dearer than the texts from myessocard.   If and when we do finally get the card we ordered at the end of November, it will be cut up and binned, next weeks prices are 3p per litre dearer than every other fuel station around here.

Pump-King price is cheaper than supermarkets around here !!

Llew - you are lucky to have cheaper fuel readily available.

This down to CMC to sort out as it's their promotion .

A 10% discount on membership or free night will do as a start as a goodwill payment for the inconvenience ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

My email stated that ALL card applications will be completed w/c 18th February, but it did nit say what year !!

11 hours ago, Les Medes said:

My email stated that ALL card applications will be completed w/c 18th February, but it did nit say what year !!

Any point in having a card if the PIN does not work?

16 hours ago, Atty said:

Pump-King price is cheaper than supermarkets around here !!

Llew - you are lucky to have cheaper fuel readily available.

I was just pointing out the difference in the price between myessocard and pump king as shown below.

Myessocard texts for diesel.

9/12/18.   £1. 261

16/12/18.   £1. 263

23/12/18.   £1. 236

30/12/18.   £1. 199

6/1/19.   £1. 214

13/1/19.   £1. 235

3/2/19.   £1. 239

Pump king texts for diesel.

20/1/19.   £1. 253

28/1/19.   £1. 251

10/2/19.   £1. 252

The first two texts from myessocard were slightly higher, but diesel around here at that point was £1. 299, but after that they have been cheaper than the pump king price.

I Still haven't got my card but the texts now say that petrol and diesel are dearer than my local Esso anyway so I am now not bothered if it turns up or not.:o

Martin W

It would save me 4p a litre, so worth having.

12 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Any point in having a card if the PIN does not work?

To be honest, with the comments you have made Durbanite I have full intentions of shredding it when it arrives as I gather Tesco vouchers will be withdrawn from the scheme and replaced with Nectar which are no use to me whatsoever

18 hours ago, Wonky said:

I Still haven't got my card but the texts now say that petrol and diesel are dearer than my local Esso anyway so I am now not bothered if it turns up or not. :o

Martin W

From the CMC offer page T's & C's

"In the unlikely event that the forecourt fuel prices are cheaper than the Pumpk-King fuel prices, members are guaranteed to save a minimum of 1 pence per litre on any fuel type."

So does this mean if the card price is £1. 25/lt and the forecourt price is £1. 20/lt, the card means you can purchase fuel at £1. 19/lt?  Or does it mean you get it for £1. 24/lt? Confused again :unsure:.

What part of

“members are guaranteed to save a minimum of 1 pence per litre on any fuel type” 

is confusing?

If the pump price is less than the card price then you pay 1p per litre less than the pump price, as you are GUARANTEED to save a minimum of  1p per litre. If the pump price is THAT low you have saved a lot anyway!

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Thanks 1