Jump to content
Johnaldo

CMC's new ESSO fuel card

Recommended Posts

I see that the Caravan and Motorhome Club have introduced a fuel card for members, called 'My ESSO'.

 

You're guaranteed to save an average 5p per litre on diesel, and 8p per litre on petrol at all UK Esso stations. It can be used with multiple vehicles. It seems like they notify you each week what the price will be the following week.

 

It all sounds pretty good, but I'm guessing many will be able to get cheaper fuel at local supermarkets.   But for those who have an ESSO station close by, or don't live near a supermarket, or indeed for the many who don't like ASDA, Morissons, Tesco or Sainsbiurys fuel, then this may prove worthwjhile. It costs nothing and you don't have to use it regularly.

 

Anyone got one?

 

John

 

Edited by Johnaldo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've applied for one (they say 7-10 days for delivery but guess it could be after X'mas now).  They send you a text each week telling you how much per litre you will pay if you use it the following week.    It's not clear if its all, or selected, Esso stations but from what I can see from the blurb so far its all.   If it is, it should be very worthwhile.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As each fuel station sets its own prices depending on local conditions, I can't see how they can tell you the price in advance. Maybe they just tell you what the nearest Esso site to your home will be charging.

 

There are different wholesale prices depending on size of tanker and distance from refinery or fuel pipeline terminal, plus local competition, or lack of it, drives pricing too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still waiting for mine, it looks like the price you pay is what they text you at the start of each week irrespective of what the forecourt charges. Unleaded slightly more than supermarket but diesel prices look ok.  

End of the day there is no cost to having it and if the prices are cheaper locally then it doesn't have to be used.

Edited by Jiffy176

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know they started one a while ago (could have been shell) but that was for motorway service station, I'll have a look in the magazine for this esso one.  A BP one would be nice :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20181217_080620.thumb.png.88ea6de66cf87b188e42ad1fbea87d20.png

 

20181217_080702.thumb.png.c2afa5c256e2937993342f22f3580513.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

I see that the Caravan and Motorhome Club have introduced a fuel card for members, called 'My ESSO'.

 

You're guaranteed to save an average 5p per litre on diesel, and 8p per litre on petrol at all UK Esso stations. It can be used with multiple vehicles. It seems like they notify you each week what the price will be the following week.

 

It all sounds pretty good, but I'm guessing many will be able to get cheaper fuel at local supermarkets.   But for those who have an ESSO station close by, or don't live near a supermarket, or indeed for the many who don't like ASDA, Morissons, Tesco or Sainsbiurys fuel, then this may prove worthwjhile. It costs nothing and you don't have to use it regularly.

 

Anyone got one?

 

John

 

 

Will it give contract pricing at Motorway service areas - if so that would be useful.

 

No credit cards though - which makes it useless for many.

Edited by Black Grouse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes you will get you the same price at the motorway services, that's why I will apply for one when we get back home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over our two vehicles we buy about 1,000 litres of fuel a year. Using our JL credit card we get half per cent back which would go if we had to use a debit card and the fuel would be charged immediately reducing our average current account balance.

 

As the PVC is diesel and the Yeti is petrol our net saving is likely to be about 6p per litre or £60 per year.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, AndersG said:

 I will apply for one when we get back home.

 

Me too. ...................... but then I read this post on another forum

Quote: "I have gone through the enrolment process and found a couple of things that disturb me that others might like to consider.

Firstly, there is a verification code sent to one's mobile. This came from "Pump-King".  I think I recognize this name from another fuel offer I decided not to participate in.

The grammar of the pages in the enrolment suggests it is a translation from a foreign language.

Lastly, they want to hold ones bank account debit card number, expiry date and the number from the reverse. Once this information is hacked from their system it is all that the crooks need to remove whatever money is in your bank at the time."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Over our two vehicles we buy about 1,000 litres of fuel a year. Using our JL credit card we get half per cent back which would go if we had to use a debit card and the fuel would be charged immediately reducing our average current account balance.

As the PVC is diesel and the Yeti is petrol our net saving is likely to be about 6p per litre or £60 per year.

 

 

 

. ..but that would only affect your average for the first month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its 8p (on average) for premium fuels.

 

5p for normal fuels .

 

According to the T&Cs published by Griff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been using it for the past two weeks and the biggest issue or drawback is that it can take a week or longer before the amount is deducted from your current account.   We always keep a minimal amount in our current account due to a card been cloned a few years ago.   This is the only issue that may stop us continuing to use the card unless they allow you to link it to a CC at some point in the future.  

On diesel we probably save about £0. 05p a litre so cheaper than any supermarket fuel.   It does not matter whether the Esso station is charging £1. 27 or £1. 50 a litre, you still pay the price set for the week.   The card can be used overseas on the continent however if fuel is cheaper there because of the exchange rate, pay as normal using a credit or debit card instead of using the Esso card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

 

Me too. ...................... but then I read this post on another forum

Quote: "I have gone through the enrolment process and found a couple of things that disturb me that others might like to consider.

Firstly, there is a verification code sent to one's mobile. This came from "Pump-King".  I think I recognize this name from another fuel offer I decided not to participate in.

The grammar of the pages in the enrolment suggests it is a translation from a foreign language.

Lastly, they want to hold ones bank account debit card number, expiry date and the number from the reverse. Once this information is hacked from their system it is all that the crooks need to remove whatever money is in your bank at the time."

Payment are processed by Braintree, owned by PayPal, my card details are probably safer there than at many other places I used it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are cardplan rules about who can keep card details and what details they can keep. Failure to comply means card acceptance facilities being withdrawn asap. I suspect that any merchant that wishes to keep the full details, including the number on the reverse, on file is vetted very thoroughly indeed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

There are cardplan rules about who can keep card details and what details they can keep. Failure to comply means card acceptance facilities being withdrawn asap. I suspect that any merchant that wishes to keep the full details, including the number on the reverse, on file is vetted very thoroughly indeed.  

The fuel card is linked to your debit card and it does not have a security number on the rear as you cannot use it to buy anything on the Internet.  

A thought has occurred to me in that if you use it on the continent  as it is link to a debit card more than likely you will incur a transaction fee which will be more than any savings.   We normally use a fee free CC when abroad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one of these cards and used it for the first time this weekend.

The savings are not necessarily as good as quoted.

Each week you get a text message saying what price you will pay for the following week.

For example the price for the week beginning 9 Dec for standard diesel was quoted as £1. 261 per litre. My local Esso station was charging £1. 299 so my saving was only 3. 8p per litre.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

As each fuel station sets its own prices depending on local conditions, I can't see how they can tell you the price in advance. Maybe they just tell you what the nearest Esso site to your home will be charging.

 

There are different wholesale prices depending on size of tanker and distance from refinery or fuel pipeline terminal, plus local competition, or lack of it, drives pricing too.

 

If you look at agency fuel cards they can implement fixed prices, generally these cards are accepted at what are known as "co-co" sites, that is 'company owned company operated', where this arrangement exists prices can be managed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nearly a week has passed by and still no sign that my account is being debited for our last fill up.   If it does not improve I think we may dump the card and go back to using our normal card as generally most of our weekly fill ups are under £30.   A bit annoying if on holiday and you top up £80 and then it hangs around for a week or more before being debited from your account.   If linked to the CC then no issue!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Nearly a week has passed by and still no sign that my account is being debited for our last fill up.   If it does not improve I think we may dump the card and go back to using our normal card as generally most of our weekly fill ups are under £30.   A bit annoying if on holiday and you top up £80 and then it hangs around for a week or more before being debited from your account.   If linked to the CC then no issue!

 

Why is it an issue being delayed before it's debited from your account ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Black Grouse said:

 

Why is it an issue being delayed before it's debited from your account ?

As mentioned previously we keep a minimal amount in the current account due to a card being cloned many years ago plus both OH and myself use the same current account and would hate to go overdrawn by even a couple of pounds when we have more then enough in savings accounts.   pain having to monitor it constantly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And bare in mind that Esso forecourt prices are nearly always 5p to 6p more expensive than the supermarket pumps and some independent pumps so are you really saving?

At Sainsburys you also collect Nectar points.

I think that as fuel is such an essential requirement in todays world the price should be fixed at the same price across the country as it is in Luxembourg, even at the motorway service stations.

Motorway pump prices are so ridiculous that the only people using them are company vehicle drivers - anyone else who fills up there must have more money than sense.

All the arguments about distance from refineries is total eyewash.

While on that subject, water, gas and electricity should also be a standard price and all that privatisation has done is to line the pockets of the already wealthy investors.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me the card has the advantage that I can fill up at the motorway services while not paying their ridiculous price. Leaving the motorway to find a supermarket pump can be a bit of a pain with a caravan in tow.

Esso does not have that many motorway services but they do seem to be located on routes where I would need to fill up on longer tows.

56 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Nearly a week has passed by and still no sign that my account is being debited for our last fill up.   If it does not improve I think we may dump the card and go back to using our normal card as generally most of our weekly fill ups are under £30.   A bit annoying if on holiday and you top up £80 and then it hangs around for a week or more before being debited from your account.   If linked to the CC then no issue!

I consider it an advantage if they charge me late. I prefer to have the money in my account instead of theirs.

20 hours ago, Durbanite said:

A thought has occurred to me in that if you use it on the continent  as it is link to a debit card more than likely you will incur a transaction fee which will be more than any savings.   We normally use a fee free CC when abroad.

Do you get a discount abroad? The site only mentions UK services.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worth a punt, no downsides for me, if I find any will just ditch it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yup the same offer is available on our Blue Light Cards too however the local Asda price nails it very well for us . ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...