Sign in to follow this  
Novocastrian

Island bed recommendation

For 2019, I'll be looking for an island bed configuration. I currently have a Bailey Pageant Bordeaux and like the fixed bed, but at a tad over 6 foot I find it just a bit cramped for sleeping and access is not always easy (middle of the night pees [not me, my partner!])

The island bed concept appeals as I like a larger bed and as I'm no expert on the models available, I hoped people could advise me what models to look for.   There's only two of us and I'm looking for second hand rather than new.

Check out the new Bailey Phoenix 640, rear island “fore and aft” bed (6’ 2”) so either occupant can get out of bed without climbing over the other.

If you want a lot more spec for the same money (ATC, solar panel, alarm uprated cooker etc) Chipping Sudbury caravans do an upspec called the Platinum

https://www. chippingsodburycaravans. co. uk/new-caravans/bailey-platinum-640

(I pick mine up in Feb):

If you want to spend another £6K have a look at the Bailey Cabrera, identical layout just a lot more money.

EDIT

Just spotted you wanted used so ignore the above, sorry!

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

We've had two 'vans with island bed configuration. Both Swift. Firstly a Sterling Eccles Quarts (fore and aft), now a Swift Elegance (transvers). I'm as tall as you and I've found the beds in both to be quite adequate. We only swapped the Eccles because, with the shower opposite the kitchen, it was a bit cramped amidships. With the Elegance, one of us  can walk past if the other is at the cooker, without the "breath in" pantomime. The compromise is the "night time shuffle" (for Mrs FG) past the end of the bed when it is extended.

Bailey Vigo (single axle 1500kg) or Cartagena (twin axle 1700kg) are worth a look. Very similar but the Cartahena is a bit more spacious. Both have been around for a while so plenty of secondhand units available.

first look at the size of the bed in night time mode   as sometimes when the bed is pulled out there is no room to walk around  so you still have to climb over.    Also look at the internal width of the 'van. Some island beds go lengthwise but can be shorter.   

I'm 6' 1" and I'm yet to find a caravan bed where my feet don't reach the end of the mattress!  We've had all sorts, we currently have a Swift Sprite Quattro EB (layout attached) with the island bed that extends by about 10" and while it is a reasonable length, the mattress is curved at the end corners so unless I lie towards the centre of the bed my feet end up on the curve and dangle off the end.   

Caravan mattress length seems to vary a lot, if I were you I'd be visiting as many dealers as possible and trying them out.

2018-Quattro-EB.jpg

• Like 1

We've had 2 fixed bed caravans, the first was a Swift Challenger 565 which has 2 singles rather than a fixed double, (don't know whether this would suit you). This caravan has a nice large washroom, as for the length of the beds, I believe they are on the cramped side for anybody over 6 ft tall, (I don't have that problem being 5' 8"). Our current van is a Sprite Major 4EB which has an island double bed with access from both sides and a mid washroom with access from both sides. Lengthwise, the bed is fine for us, but I feel that you would have to try it out to see if it would suit you.

22 hours ago, Novocastrian said:

For 2019, I'll be looking for an island bed configuration. I currently have a Bailey Pageant Bordeaux and like the fixed bed, but at a tad over 6 foot I find it just a bit cramped for sleeping and access is not always easy (middle of the night pees [not me, my partner!])

The island bed concept appeals as I like a larger bed and as I'm no expert on the models available, I hoped people could advise me what models to look for.   There's only two of us and I'm looking for second hand rather than new.

We have an Elddis Avante which is 8 foot wide. The bed a transverse bed at the rear of the van. Haven’t measured it but I think it would be over 6 ft

We had a Vigo but as I am 6'2" it was just long enough. We swapped to a Cadz this year which has twin beds which are about 6'5" long but quite narrow. Very comfortable too!

Swift Challenger 560 works for us

19 hours ago, Jacko1 said:

Swift Challenger 560 works for us

We have the Elddis Avante 550 which works for us. It has the center Island bed at rear which partially slides in during day to give a bit more bedroom space. I'm 6ft 4 and can get around bed at night to use loo without having to climb over the wife.

• Like 1

On 18/12/2018 at 12:14, dexterlevi said:

We have the Elddis Avante 550 which works for us. It has the center Island bed at rear which partially slides in during day to give a bit more bedroom space. I'm 6ft 4 and can get around bed at night to use loo without having to climb over the wife.

I'm 6ft & struggle also but a big big ditto recommend for this now unique Elddis layout also. Have recently changed from a french bed 540 (tight) to the Elddis Affinity 550 centre 'lengthways' island bed - excellent to access and space to get around - centre side toilet and a separate shower is the big big difference.
Available in this specific layout s/hand in various models and some older ranges and a very spacious van in a compact single axle length.  

Find this very specific layout & a van at a local dealer and go for a view and a lay down & ponder.

One other point to be aware of, if the van has Alde heating there may be a radiator running along the foot of the bed stealing a few inches walking space. Doesn't sound a lot but once the bed is extended the space is tight enough without a radiator.

When we were looking at vans, we tried to see every island bed arrangement, and the side bed was a real problem in almost every case to get around with the bed extended.   We've opted for the fore and aft bed which gives a few more inches of bed length, and more room around the end of the bed.

Just now, Guzzilazz said:

When we were looking at vans, we tried to see every island bed arrangement, and the side bed was a real problem in almost every case to get around with the bed extended.   We've opted for the fore and aft bed which gives a few more inches of bed length, and more room around the end of the bed.

Identical reasoning behind my purchase. If you have a “crossways” island bed whichever occupant is on the opposite side to where the toilet is will need to squeeze past the bottom of the bed. If the other occupant is a light sleeper that action will probably disturb them. With a “fore & aft” bed that is much less likely (but not impossible of course)

Like all decisions in respect of layout it requires a fair bit of careful forethought to avoid a costly/annoying mistake.  In our

current (soon to be traded in) van we have a fixed French bed and a rear bathroom. It seemed like an excellent layout when we bought it BUT Any additional occupant wIll have to squeeze past us to access the toilet during the night. Hardly a desirable situation but not one we thought of at purchase time!!

New van has rear fore & aft  fixed bed and, more importantly, a  central bathroom so the above scenario won’t occur.  

Moral of tale? Think VERY carefully how any particular layout will/will not work for your particular situation BEFORE parting with your hard earned.

Andy

• Like 1

Adria Alpina Missouri, and Adria Adora Isonzo both have rear island beds that are 196cm (6. 42 feet) long.

Buccaneer ranges in the 2015 and 2016 models are avail in the island  transverse beds. cruiser and the commodore. with plenty of extras too.

We have a Hobby 620cl with a French Bed option.   The bed is bigger than a King SIze bed, albeit only by a couple of inches.   

I'm 6 foot 2 inches and love our 8ft Adria Adora Isonzo 613 with a full sized fixed island bed layout and plenty of room at the end to navigate .

Edited by v00114
  • Like 1

Don't get a eld dis worst caravan we ever had a 2017 affinity 550, faults to numerous to mention, traded in last year where the dealers found damp all along the front luckily covered on warranty

1 hour ago, Kwhittaker said:

Don't get a eld dis worst caravan we ever had a 2017 affinity 550, faults to numerous to mention

We only get to hear of the bad ones, never the dozens nay hundreds who have a good 'un......whatever the marque.

geoff

Posted (edited)

Well I have a Bailey Platinum (Dealer special Phoenix) and I reckon it’s simply brilliant.  (Having said that I have only had it six weeks !! )

BUT, since getting it home I have been over every inch of it with a VERY critical eye indeed (cos I’m a fussy git) and the only fault I found was that the sliding door between the bedroom and bathroom just fouled the door frame at the point of closure. Two minutes with a screwdriver to very slightly move the fixing where the frame meets the floor (no more than 5mm) and it now clears the frame.  Other than that there was some sawdust type material in various places like cupboards and drawers but a quick whizz round with a rechargeable vacuum soon dealt with that.

Apart from those teeny issues everything works, all the fixings are in place (and tight) all of the internal doors fit well with no gaping gaps, there is no adhesive visible on any of the surfaces, all of the lights work and I have just about mastered the intricacies of the Truma control panel. I would be just as happy with a bank of off/on switches (less to go wrong!) but apparently thats very “old hat” these days? I will just need to remember how to turn the water heater off briefly if boiling a kettle when on 6 amp hookup. (An on/off switch IS much easier for that task) 

So there you go, one very happy owner who has posted. (Fingers crossed I feel the same a few years down the line eh?) 

My missus used to be a trainer for British Gas retail back in the day. She had a thing she called the 3/11 theory. If customers are happy with something they will tell 3 others, if UNhappy they will tell 11. I reckon she was probably not far off the truth there. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Ok, one of the three:

I am VERY VERY VERY happy with my caravan!! Coachman VIP 575 2016.

Nuff said:P

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this