SimonM

VIP 575 12 Volt running

My new VIP 575 works fine on 240 volts but 12 volt running is problematic.  The motor mover is fine and the battery is fully charged.  However, there is no response when I turn on the master switch on the main control panel when I want to use 12 volts and I'm not connected to the mains.  What am I not doing?

What is not working? Lights? Water pump?

I am confused by your comment that you "turn on the master switch. ..…….." When you want to use 12v without being connected to the mains.

When you disconnect the mains the 12v should simply carry on working without touching any switches.

So when the caravan is stored in my garden, nothing happens when I press the master switch.  No 12 volt working. The 12 volt should carry on working when I disconnect the mains. ....but it doesn’t.  

The interesting words in the original post are NEW VIP 575.

I assume everything worked when demonstrated to you by the dealer prior to you taking possession? 

Maybe a read of the manual might assist you in sorting the problem Or a phone call to the dealer.  I am sure it’s something simple.

Andy

28 minutes ago, SimonM said:

So when the caravan is stored in my garden, nothing happens when I press the master switch.  No 12 volt working. The 12 volt should carry on working when I disconnect the mains. ....but it doesn’t.  

I’m assuming the separate lights/pump switches etc. are on?

Edited by Glen and Les

I'm also assuming the battery is connected correctly...

Hi Simon

I once had a similar problem when setting up without EHU on a campsite in France in our Pastiche 460/2 (2012). (EHU socket was too far away).

I assume that all the 12v circuits are working when you are connected to an EHU and the problem is no 12v in the same circuits when the EHU is disconnected.

One of the 12v fuses in the array in the fuse box, probably labelled 'battery' is a effectively a master fuse for the whole of the 12v system from the battery (but not from the charger).

In my case I had plugged in a dodgy 12v phone charger to the 12v socket and it had blown this main fuse, instead of the 'socket only' fuse.

So try extracting and checking the fuse labelled 'battery'.

Best of luck

Cheers

Paul R T 

Just to clarify.

Plugged in to the mains everything works, 230v and 12v? Unplug and the 12v stuff goes off? Without touching any switches?

If all three answers are "yes" then there is most likely either a bad connection to the battery or a blown inline fuse.

Did you by any chance try the mover while plugged into the mains? That could well have blown the inline fuse.

No Stevan,

The mover is connected straight from the battery, quite separate from all the other 12 v circuits.

Using the mover with the EHU connected may well in certain circumstances b. ...r the charger, but will not blow the on line fuse I have identified.

Cheers

Paul R T

I also lost 12 volt, looked at fuse names, checked fuse, OK. Then found 12 names but 14 fuses, at some point the relay unit must have been changed to an updated one with extra fuses.

So all it needed was a new fuse.

19 minutes ago, ericmark said:

Then found 12 names but 14 fuses, at some point the relay unit must have been changed to an updated one with extra fuses.

Probably not, it is commonplace to have spare fuse holders and fuses to cater for accessorise on other variants of the van.

Hi again Simon,

I had some further thoughts overnight.

It is quite likely that when the dealer did the handover for the new caravan he demonstrated everything with the ehu connected, and did not repeat it with the ehu disconnected (certainly my experience). If he fitted your mover and the new battery some time in advance of you collecting the van, he may well have removed the battery fuse deliberately to ensure no battery drain in the intervening period. (The latest vans can have some 12v systems that are not controlled by the master switch by the door.)

Thus you may find when you examine the fuse array that this fuse is missing, if he had forgotten to replace it at the actual handover. If so, look in a few drawers!

If not there, they are ordinary car blade-type fuses, obtainable from most fuel stations or Halfords etc. I think that one is usually rated at 20 amps.

Hope you get it sorted. Good caravanning.

Cheers

Paul R T