Sign in to follow this  
ivan leslie

Government Say Do Not Book Holidays After 30th March.

10 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Does any one on this planet still believe that what that Canadian idiot in charge of the BOE states as he has made numerous miscalculations in the past.   When he is eventually kicked out of his job, he will tootle back to Canada with no worries.

This is symptomatic of the level of debate we have endured over the past couple of years.   Rational, sensible analysis with an objective of clearly explaining gets swept aside by the rhetoric of politicians, and sensation seeking media commentators - and people lap it up.   Personalising criticism in this way is a cheap shot - the BoE assessment is the product of many months of research undertaken by some of the most able economists and markets experts and factoring in evidence taken from  businesses, large and small, around the country.   Some 200 people were involved in the project - this wasn't just something Carney conjured up.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

Folks who say we shouldn't have a People's Vote/Referendum, call it what you will, forget that we had a vote way back in the early 1970s.

That vote was should we join or not? The result was "Yes".

So why did we have this 2016 one? If it's OK to have had the 2016 one, it's OK to have another.

If I buy something and find out it's not what I expected it to be, because the wrapping was very unclear as to what was in the box, I'm entitled to return it and get a full refund.

"Decision made"?  But no-one knew what the ACTUAL cost would be.

So why can't we just re-affirm we are happy that the outcome is in line with our expectations?

OR it's nothing like we were led to believe, and reject it?

This is 2018 and we are putting TROOPS on the streets????????? Unbelievable.

Troop on the street to help out not to control.

1 minute ago, oldboy said:

the statistic shows we import more from the EU than we export to them.

So? Without agreement on special arrangements, controls of free trade and movement are laid down regardless of the levels of import or export.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

Folks who say we shouldn't have a People's Vote/Referendum, call it what you will, forget that we had a vote way back in the early 1970s.

That vote was should we join or not? The result was "Yes".

So why did we have this 2016 one? If it's OK to have had the 2016 one, it's OK to have another.

If I buy something and find out it's not what I expected it to be, because the wrapping was very unclear as to what was in the box, I'm entitled to return it and get a full refund.

"Decision made"?  But no-one knew what the ACTUAL cost would be.

So why can't we just re-affirm we are happy that the outcome is in line with our expectations?

OR it's nothing like we were led to believe, and reject it?

This is 2018 and we are putting TROOPS on the streets????????? Unbelievable.

Not splitting hairs, but that was for a common market a trading group not what we have now and a federal state in the future.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ern said:

This report was published as a "worst case scenario" and this was clearly stated by the Governor at the time. He said "This is not a scenario we think likely to happen, but, we are obliged to enable the BOE to handle it and assure the public that we can". His very words.

As per my previous comment - the media will always latch onto the worst case scenario which is what they did and was why the Governor was at pains to underline the fact that it was just one scenario.   The report does, indeed, show the range of scenarios.   

On 16/12/2018 at 13:02, ivan leslie said:

According to reports this morning it is likely that, because of a possible " no deal " break with Europe, advice will be given that we should not book holidays ( flights, ferries etc ) after 30th March due to possible disruptions.  As I am already booked on a the Hull to Zeebrugge ferry on the 20th April, should I be concerned?  I will, of course, wait for further information but will this stop others planning their holidays?

Which reports?

Could you kindly substantiate "reports" by means of evidence or proof please. :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, DeeTee said:

Which reports?

Could you kindly substantiate "reports" by means of evidence or proof please. :rolleyes:

https://researchbriefings. parliament. uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7851

36 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Does any one on this planet still believe that what that Canadian idiot in charge of the BOE states as he has made numerous miscalculations in the past.   When he is eventually kicked out of his job, he will tootle back to Canada with no worries.

BTW it seems that i misunderstood what my friend was saying however he states that anyone can import from any country. When it enters the "EU" then it is taxed (tariffs) at the point of entry.    The tariffs and taxes are determined by the EU and not by the country importing i. e. the UK.

For example, when we import lamb from New Zealand, the EU stipulate that we have to pay 40% duties in it. That is before it hits the shops. So in essence,  if we leave the EU and import directly, then NZ lamb could be 40% cheaper.   15% on Japanese cars and cars from outside the EU (but no duties on German or French cars)

We cannot even reduce out VAT without the say so of the EU, and we are not allowed to import goods from non EU countries that could be seen as direct competition to the EU.

The UK government wanted to reduce / remove taxes on sanitary products, the EU said NO.

Now get your yellow vest and be prepared.

I understand that he speaks very highly of your well ill informed good self. :lol:

Whilst your posting didn't qualify for a good posting emoticon, it has the distinction of giving me a good laugh. :rolleyes:

Edited by DeeTee
corrected word
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The way I see it is that we've got three options, stay, take the deal or leave. It's not really all that difficult is it.

I'm guessing that if we stay, we have a rough idea of what we are letting ourselves in for because we've been doing it for a long time and we know how it works.

If we take the deal then we've got a vague idea of what might happen  but hopefully we'll be in a position to enhance or tweak it as it beds in and we might have a better relationship with the EU in the future than if we leave.

If we decide to leave without a deal then we are on our own and we can do what we like and so can they. The EU dont have to give us any concessions and neither do we.  However we don't really know what the consequences might be. , Despite all the forecasts & guesses I suspect it wont be as easy as some make out and it will probably cost us more than we think it will.

It might work out kk but it might not. We'll only know what the consequences are in three to five years and by then it'll be too late to do much about it.

6 hours ago, paulthomas said:

Roger Bootle is in a minority of two. He and Patrick Minford ( poll tax advocate and "losing the UK's auto industry is a price worth paying for Brexit")  are the sole economists in favour of Brexit.

The great majority are warning of the economic damage it will cause.

You will note that, today, businesses are already warning of the  damage uncertainty is causing, and of the disaster that a "no deal" Brexit will cause.

Who would have thought in 2016 that the forces would have to be on alert as a contingency in any kind of Brexit!

Utter tosh. CBI are about as pro Britain as ISIL. Have a look at the confirmed statements in here

https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=J5fUn5A809o&feature=share

It is all a joke, an emergency debate on no deal Brexit is going on in the house of common there are only 5 MPs from the government party in there as opposed to the other party.

Edited by oldboy

6 minutes ago, matelodave said:

The way I see it is that we've got three options, stay, take the deal or leave. It's not really all that difficult is it.

I'm guessing that if we stay, we have a rough idea of what we are letting ourselves in for because we've been doing it for a long time and we know how it works.

If we take the deal then we've got a vague idea of what might happen  but hopefully we'll be in a position to enhance or tweak it as it beds in and we might have a better relationship with the EU in the future than if we leave.

If we decide to leave without a deal then we are on our own and we can do what we like and so can they. The EU dont have to give us any concessions and neither do we.  However we don't really know what the consequences might be. , Despite all the forecasts & guesses I suspect it wont be as easy as some make out and it will probably cost us more than we think it will.

It might work out kk but it might not. We'll only know what the consequences are in three to five years and by then it'll be too late to do much about it.

:goodpost:

As I understand it, the leaving without a deal option much favoured by the Brexiteers, wouldn't be the end of the world according to the "learned Doctor Fox" said it

I'm surprised that between him and David Davies they haven't already done lucrative trade deals with the rest of the world. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Portrobc said:

Utter tosh. CBI are about as pro Britain as ISIL. Have a look at the confirmed statements in here

https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=J5fUn5A809o&feature=share

Did you actually type that. ..?

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

BTW it seems that i misunderstood what my friend was saying however he states that anyone can import from any country. When it enters the "EU" then it is taxed (tariffs) at the point of entry.    The tariffs and taxes are determined by the EU and not by the country importing i. e. the UK.

For example, when we import lamb from New Zealand, the EU stipulate that we have to pay 40% duties in it. That is before it hits the shops. So in essence,  if we leave the EU and import directly, then NZ lamb could be 40% cheaper.   15% on Japanese cars and cars from outside the EU (but no duties on German or French cars)

We cannot even reduce out VAT without the say so of the EU, and we are not allowed to import goods from non EU countries that could be seen as direct competition to the EU.

The UK government wanted to reduce / remove taxes on sanitary products, the EU said NO.

Now get your yellow vest and be prepared.

Dad, is it you?

Looking forward to Christmas Dinner and being enlightened further on how the world works

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1