Sign in to follow this  
ivan leslie

Government Say Do Not Book Holidays After 30th March.

1 minute ago, Durbanite said:

Why isn't there any issue with Gibraltar as that is our other border with the EU?  The EU probably wants to keep us tied to their apron strings and to dance to their tune most of the time and only a dictatorship likes that form of government as they can appoint themselves and have no responsibility as no one vote them into power! 

Luckily for us probably within the next 5 years there will not be an EU to worry about and we can holiday as normal within the country of our choosing without any worries.   :D

Still not sure where you are coming from - whether we are in the EU or not I can holiday in almost any country that I want to - probably even North Korea if I so desired.

Whats the problem with having to have your passport stamped, checked or needing a visa to go onto the continent. In what way is it going to be different from going to America, China, Egypt, Russia or even Pakistan (amongst the very many places I've been to without a problem)

• Like 1

We are booked to fly to Spain 3 weeks after B day but we're not worried at all. The world will not come to an end and planes and boats will continue to run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

Why isn't there any issue with Gibraltar as that is our other border with the EU?  The EU probably wants to keep us tied to their apron strings and to dance to their tune most of the time and only a dictatorship likes that form of government as they can appoint themselves and have no responsibility as no one vote them into power! 

Luckily for us probably within the next 5 years there will not be an EU to worry about and we can holiday as normal within the country of our choosing without any worries.   :D

Good Lord!

what an interesting world you inhabit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, matelodave said:

Why isn't there any issue with Gibraltar as that is our other border with the EU? 

Because it has a Border, unlike RoI & Ulster,at present. They are m ore than happy to keep it that way.

geoff

• Like 1

The only adjustment we are making to our holiday plans is booking our long French holiday in September rather than June to allow for any changes in Pet Passports to be sorted out re Rabies and blood tests.

The UK holiday Pound/Euro is too valuable to the French and others to make it difficult for us to go there so I cant forsee too many problems either way.

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

Seriously? Do you really understand that little? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Woodie106 said:

Seriously? Do you really understand that little? 

I’m afraid it’s startlingly common

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

The only areas at the moment that will effect me is dog and car insurance to worry about .

On the 30 th I shall wake up the as any other morning and life will go on . There has been months of planning for a no deal in the background with contingency plans .

Dave

2 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

The only areas at the moment that will effect me is dog and car insurance to worry about .

On the 30 th I shall wake up the as any other morning and life will go on . There has been months of planning for a no deal in the background with contingency plans .

Dave

How very reassuring.

Oh here we go AGAIN, yet more totally unsubstantiated scare mongering.

I have my ferry booked for early April and I have every confidence in being able to drive off on the other side of the channel with very little (if any) difference.

To quote Corporal Jones.

”Dont panic, don’t panic” 

Andy

Well we are booked on a cruise to Norway in May - if they won’t let us off the ship or back into the UK I can think of worse places to be stranded!.

Our ferry from Poole is booked for 16th of May at 08. 30! We will be on it!

I understand that at midnight on the 30 March 2019,  the channel will be drained and replaced with a 30m high electric fence with guards on "shoot to kill" orders for anyone trying to cross the Channel. Either way. The EU will also have border guards on similar orders.

All passports will be null and void.

Any holidays or business travel already booked will be declared null and void.

No imports to or from the UK from the EU will be allowed, anyone caught trying to smuggle will be shot and their families detained at Her Majesty's pleasure until HM Government deems they may be released which will not be until many years have passed.

Rationing will be introduced in the UK in an attempt to avoid too many UK people starving to death because of the severe food shortages and extremely high cost of what little food is available.

People will be conscripted onto farms to replace the foreigners who are currently working there, who will have been forcibly expelled.

The NHS will be abandoned due to severe staff shortages, for the same reason as the previous sentence.

• Haha 2

I must admit that I am going to get an ‘international driving licence’ before we depart!

4 hours ago, Lutz said:

What bullying tactics are you referring to? The rules of EU membership haven't changed so nothing is being dictated that wasn't known before.

This time last year the EU's President declared publicly that the UK would have another election by Christmas (2018). Veiled threats and warnings of catastrophe have been constantly issued by Brussels. The UK's elected government's official and unofficial opposition have been invited to have meetings in Brussels. Even Bliar has been there on official invitations several times to see how the UK government can be thwarted from its attempt to deliver what our nation voted for. No its not really bullying tactics is it?  We've seen it before in the Republic of Ireland and Netherlands when they have attempted to express their nations will. Its going on now in Italy and Greece. What are the violent protests in France (and Brussels EU HQ today) all about? The UK departure from EU is being treated as a another serious threat to the existence of the EU.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On another forum site. They are talking about the loss of the EHIC. We will also need an IDP (£5. 5) and a second for Spain? Also a Visa (£6).

We have not booked any EU holidays for 2019, will do it later. But I had to pay $15 each for a US, ESTA for a trip in January!

51 minutes ago, PR1 said:

I must admit that I am going to get an ‘international driving licence’ before we depart!

If it hasn't already been covered here. ..IDL's will not be issued by post through RAC or AA in future,only Post Office Counters in person. This will mean that if you are abroad and require one you will have to come home to get it! The two bodies are protesting about this as it is obviously an income loser to them.

geoff

p. s think this is 2021.

Edited by shipbroker

2 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

If it hasn't already been covered here. ..IDL's will not be issued by post through RAC or AA in future,only Post Office Counters in person. This will mean that if you are abroad and require one you will have to come home to get it! The two bodies are protesting about this as it is obviously an income loser to them.

geoff

p. s think this is 2021.

Always usd to get mine from thevRAC office in Bristol! Post office is closer!

1 hour ago, Ern said:

This time last year the EU's President declared publicly that the UK would have another election by Christmas (2018). Veiled threats and warnings of catastrophe have been constantly issued by Brussels. The UK's elected government's official and unofficial opposition have been invited to have meetings in Brussels. Even Bliar has been there on official invitations several times to see how the UK government can be thwarted from its attempt to deliver what our nation voted for. No its not really bullying tactics is it?  We've seen it before in the Republic of Ireland and Netherlands when they have attempted to express their nations will. Its going on now in Italy and Greece. What are the violent protests in France (and Brussels EU HQ today) all about? The UK departure from EU is being treated as a another serious threat to the existence of the EU.

Those flippin' French, Italian and Greek governments exercising their sovereignty and cheesing their populations off!

It has nothing to do with the EU!

Re Second referenda in Netherlands and Ireland. They weren't about leaving the EU, They were about policies with which the (sovereign) governments did not agree. As a result, in the case of Ireland, the EU changed policy and the (sovereign) government asked the electorate if they were happy with their changes. The Dutch did not like an element of the EU constitution and after that THEIR government clarified its position. As a result THEIR government asked the people to think again in the light of their clarification. The referenda were NOT forced upon the (sovereign) governments by the EU, They were decisions made by those (sovereign) governments,

A myth.

Edited by paulthomas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, paulthomas said:

Those flippin' French, Italian and Greek governments exercising their sovereignty and cheesing their populations off!

It has nothing to do with the EU!

Re Second referenda in Netherlands and Ireland. They weren't about leaving the EU, They were about policies with which the (sovereign) governments did not agree. As a result, in the case of Ireland, the EU changed policy and the (sovereign) government asked the electorate if they were happy with their changes. The Dutch did not like an element of the EU constitution and after that THEIR government clarified its position. As a result THEIR government asked the people to think again in the light of their clarification. The referenda were NOT forced upon the (sovereign) governments by the EU, They were decisions made by those (sovereign) governments,

A myth.

You really shouldn’t let facts get in the way of the myth, there’s a risk people might be informed, and that will never do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’m 47, I’ve never had a vote, not in the UK (not allowed, I don’t live there) and not in Germany (lived here 29 years but I wasn’t German) but now due to Brexit I have German citizenship and I can now vote. I suspect, like many people, I’ve never really been interested in politics but nowadays you can’t avoid it, to be honest I’m sick of hearing about Brexit.

I classs myself as very British and European, I’ve lived on mainland Europe for all of my adult life and I hate the fact that in a few months time Brits will be classed as 2nd Class citizens in Europe. I must admit I am not a fan of the EU Project, I never asked for it, I never voted for it, I don’t want, it’s just appeared, like a malignant tumour.

Edited by Borussia 1900
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

. ..to be honest I’m sick of hearing about Brexit.

To a degree I agree, but being on the recipient end of a stupid ‘in-out’ question driven purely by a leader of the Conservative party who forgot how to govern, with an ill-informed lead-in, the curious idea that being in the majority vote somehow makes you ‘right’ and the rise in nationalism this has allowed in the UK is all kinda frustrating and I’m afraid it will have an ongoing (in my view overall negative) impact to my country for generations to come.

I’m afraid in the UK it has sadly become a defining characteristic of relationships up and down the country.

Non of that means that I think the EU is a magical wonderfulness but for all it’s failings, we’ve collectively benefited over decades.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am totally non-political. I have worked with the public for years and realised early on that in discussing politics (and religion), you could not make converts and only make enemies.

I vote, as not to is an abdication of responsibility. If you don't vote, you can't complain!

I offer this -  https://news. liverpool. ac. uk/2018/12/13/full-speech-sir-ivan-rogers-on-brexit/

Cheers

Keith

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I’m 47, I’ve never had a vote, not in the UK (not allowed, I don’t live there) and not in Germany (lived here 29 years but I wasn’t German) but now due to Brexit I have German citizenship and I can now vote. I suspect, like many people, I’ve never really been interested in politics but nowadays you can’t avoid it, to be honest I’m sick of hearing about Brexit.

I classs myself as very British and European, I’ve lived on mainland Europe for all of my adult life and I hate the fact that in a few months time Brits will be classed as 2nd Class citizens in Europe. I must admit I am not a fan of the EU Project, I never asked for it, I never voted for it, I don’t want, it’s just appeared, like a malignant tumour.

There is nothing second class about the Brits now and there wont be after Brexit. We all got lumbered with the EU, and non of us voted for it. Good democracy eh?

• Thanks 1

Personally I hope they ban travel of pets except where a person is emigrating, there are already too many dogs pooing and peeing on caravan pitches both abroad and in the UK.

Don't tell me you clean up after the event either - there is still residue of it on the ground, it is a known health hazard and the next occupier of the pitch has it to look for ward to.

And as for people taking cats with them on holiday. ....... words escape me.

I always look for a dog free site where we are free from yappy dogs and their unwanted leave behinds.

As for post BREXIT, they want us to continue to spend our money in their countries as much as we want them to continue doing the same so they won't be putting obstacles in our way.