Sign in to follow this  
ivan leslie

Government Say Do Not Book Holidays After 30th March.

According to reports this morning it is likely that, because of a possible " no deal " break with Europe, advice will be given that we should not book holidays ( flights, ferries etc ) after 30th March due to possible disruptions.  As I am already booked on a the Hull to Zeebrugge ferry on the 20th April, should I be concerned?  I will, of course, wait for further information but will this stop others planning their holidays?

Some good hints in Sunday Times Travel section. .including if a Hard Brexit then EHIC cards out of window. ..and months of waiting for new pet passports. ..........

geoff

EHIC may still be valid as there are already four countries outside the EU who use them. These are Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. It all depends on what is agreed in the negotiations whether the UK can continue using them. 

Brian

1 hour ago, BrianI said:

EHIC may still be valid as there are already four countries outside the EU who use them. These are Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. It all depends on what is agreed in the negotiations whether the UK can continue using them.  

Brian

True, but only in case of a deal. Without a deal they would lose validity.

We were planning to visit the UK next Easter and I’ve already got some sites booked. I can cancel them so I’m not too worried about that and I’m not booking the Tunnel until I know what the crack is.

Might have to leave the dog with my in-laws.

2 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

not booking the Tunnel until I know what the crack is.

That could be a big issue!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Black Grouse said:

That could be a big issue!

:D

I was on it once and it broke down, 4 hours we were stuck in the middle, luckily the only thing to crack was my patience 

55 minutes ago, ivan leslie said:

According to reports this morning it is likely that, because of a possible " no deal " break with Europe, advice will be given that we should not book holidays ( flights, ferries etc ) after 30th March due to possible disruptions.  As I am already booked on a the Hull to Zeebrugge ferry on the 20th April, should I be concerned?  I will, of course, wait for further information but will this stop others planning their holidays?

can i ask where you read this, been looking on the . Gov website and there is no mention of this 

The usual Sunday papers garbage. If there is no news it can easily be made up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

We were planning to visit the UK next Easter and I’ve already got some sites booked. I can cancel them so I’m not too worried about that and I’m not booking the Tunnel until I know what the crack is.

Might have to leave the dog with my in-laws.

The Tarn is hoisting the push bike race again in May, from there to Bedale...……..just saying ;)

https://www.barnsley.gov.uk/services/sports-and-leisure/tour-de-yorkshire-2019/

56 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Some good hints in Sunday Times Travel section. .including if a Hard Brexit then EHIC cards out of window. ..and months of waiting for new pet passports. ..........

geoff

EHIC is an EU + EEA + Swiitzerland  arrangement which, it appears, will not be affected. A new pet passport can be obtained now to get the 4 month requirement for those travelling next spring.

But who KNOWS?

The article is on the front page of The Sunday Times.

The Cabinet was due to discuss contingency planning in the event of a no deal Brexit, and advising families not to book holidays after the 30th of March 2019 was on the list.

6 minutes ago, Tradewinds said:

The article is on the front page of The Sunday Times.

The Cabinet was due to discuss contingency planning in the event of a no deal Brexit, and advising families not to book holidays after the 30th of March 2019 was on the list.

And the advice could have been do not worry. In all the hysteria everyone seems to forget that most of Europe wants a good working relationship with a post exit UK. Costas Algarve, Balearics etc will tank if the British stay away, there are genuine fears of mass unemployment in areas such as the Algarve. There will be a series of compromises almost immediately post 29 March. So keep calm, it will be fine.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, beejay said:

EHIC is an EU + EEA + Swiitzerland  arrangement which, it appears, will not be affected. A new pet passport can be obtained now to get the 4 month requirement for those travelling next spring.

But who KNOWS?

But with leaving the EU the UK also ceases to be an EEA member unless otherwise agreed.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Paul_B said:

The Tarn is hoisting the push bike race again in May, from there to Bedale. ..……..just saying ;)

https://www. barnsley. gov. uk/services/sports-and-leisure/tour-de-yorkshire-2019/

They always seem to have stuff in like that when I can’t make it

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ivan leslie said:

Were the Y2K scaremongers correct?  Did all plane instantly fall out of the sky? Did the earth stop spinning? Similarly don't believe all that the Brexit scaremongers say!

Go ahead and enjoy your holiday as I doubt anything untoward will happen instantly. It's been a couple of years since the UK voted to leave the EU and no politicians have exactly been rushing to an agreement, so I say again, fear not, and enjoy your holiday. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The one thing that has come to light is the bullying tactics of the EU and how they like to dictate.   There true colours have been exposed!   We will probably be staying in the UK next year for our holidays until the dust has settled.   This will be the third time I am going through a major transition in my chosen country.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

The one thing that has come to light is the bullying tactics of the EU and how they like to dictate.   There true colours have been exposed!   We will probably be staying in the UK next year for our holidays until the dust has settled.   This will be the third time I am going through a major transition in my chosen country.

What bullying tactics are you referring to? The rules of EU membership haven't changed so nothing is being dictated that wasn't known before.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Lutz said:

What bullying tactics are you referring to? The rules of EU membership haven't changed so nothing is being dictated that wasn't known before.

Agreed, and they have remained calm despite all the gunboat diplomacy noises coming from the vile end of the UK political spectrum.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Hmm!  Seems you have been brainwashed and wearing your rose tinted glasses again.   LOL!  :D

1 hour ago, Paul_B said:

The Tarn is hoisting the push bike race again in May, from there to Bedale. ..……..just saying

You would think that it was only a Barnsley race Paul! Harrogate might disagree, reckon I will be just up the road in Bedale that weekend.

geoff

34 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I'm not sure what you mean - we are the ones who are doing the bullying.

They are just standing firm. We have the option to stay or walk away but for some reason we feel the need to ask, even demand concessions although we are in effect telling them to get stuffed. TBH if I were the EU I'd tell us to B'off and be done with.

We may hope to get a more favourable deal than other countries, and it seems that we have negotiated one but it does not satisfy some people so the alternative is to leave without it. They dont have to give us anything.

Their rules are pretty clear or should be as we've had to apply those rules to other countries who aren't in the EU so why should we expect to get special treatment especially as it appears that we are the ones who can't get our act together and are being awkward and intransigent .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why isn't there any issue with Gibraltar as that is our other border with the EU?  The EU probably wants to keep us tied to their apron strings and to dance to their tune most of the time and only a dictatorship likes that form of government as they can appoint themselves and have no responsibility as no one vote them into power! 

Luckily for us probably within the next 5 years there will not be an EU to worry about and we can holiday as normal within the country of our choosing without any worries.   :D

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Cast your eyes across the channel, France is really doing well under Napoleon 2. 0.

Marine Le Penn has 24% going into EU Parliament elections and Napoleon has 18%.

One German newspaper reckons the EU have hung Macron out to dry.

The sooner we leave this dreadful organisation the better, there is so much more we can become without the EU gang.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1