Sign in to follow this  
Lutz

Trailer Registration Regulations

Here the actual text out of a paper issued by the government:

The 1968 Convention on Road Traffic, which the UK has ratified as part of our preparations for leaving the EU, will come into force in March 2019, allows contracting parties (including more than 20 EU member states) to deny entry to unregistered trailers. The UK does not currently have a mandatory trailer registration scheme in place and there have been ongoing problems with enforcement agencies in some EU Member States blocking and fining unaccompanied UK trailers (UK trailers being towed by a non-UK tractor unit) as they are not registered under an official UK registration scheme. There will be greater scope for enforcement action against the users of UK trailers after the Convention comes into force. Under the Convention’s terms, access to foreign roads is only guaranteed for registered motor vehicles and trailers and contracting parties are permitted to undertake enforcement action against unregistered trailers. Accordingly, UK Government intervention is required to ensure that UK trailers can meet the registration standards in the Convention and continue to use the road networks across Europe without disruption.

For further information, read:

https://assets. publishing. service. gov. uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/740568/trailer-registration-impact-assessment-2018. pdf

It is notable that the document is aimed in particular at unaccompanied HGV trailers from the UK, and does not include non commercial trailers under 3500Kg.

As our 2 berth Swift Challenger is a tad under that, I shall not lose any sleep over it.

Edited by Ern

And your point is???????????????????

In the document it clearly states that caravans and horseboxes will be excluded from the scheme, which is for HGV Trailers.

This came up last year if I remember and I wondered if Europe wanted a register to introduce a tax on out HGV goods trailers entering Europe ? They seem to want to tax up entering Europe zone as I can't see why this Talk of registration when we have a system through the DoT ?

Dave

I guess it would affect fifth wheel units over 3500kg, though.

1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

This came up last year if I remember and I wondered if Europe wanted a register to introduce a tax on out HGV goods trailers entering Europe ? They seem to want to tax up entering Europe zone as I can't see why this Talk of registration when we have a system through the DoT ?

Dave

If hgv trailers have to be registered in Europe I guess they will have to comply with their rules. Hgv trailers in the th uk can be taller then trailers in Europe which is a bone of contention as they say uk can get more cube/loads on a trailer then them. This may be away of stopping this. I wonder if the uk will impose anything on their trailers as more comes here then we send them.

. .....but there are trailers on the mainland which are longer than our norm of 12 metres. ......but they don't,as far as I know, come here. I did work for a Dutch company that had them.

geoff

We have recently allowed a slightly longer trailer I think it takes 2 extra pallets. The Scandinavian countries have road trains which are a lot longer but not allowed here.  

25 minutes ago, Odd days said:

If hgv trailers have to be registered in Europe I guess they will have to comply with their rules. Hgv trailers in the th uk can be taller then trailers in Europe which is a bone of contention as they say uk can get more cube/loads on a trailer then them. This may be away of stopping this. I wonder if the uk will impose anything on their trailers as more comes here then we send them.

I don't see a problem. There is nothing to stop the UK allowing higher trailers regardless of whether they have to be registered or not. Being registered doesn't automatically allow such trailers to cross the Channel, though. Germany, Sweden and Finland, for instance, allow road trains consisting of an articulated unit towing a second trailer on some roads resulting in a combined train weight of up to 60 tonnes (44 currently in Germany), but they aren't allowed to into other EU countries.

Edited by Lutz

The uk does allow higher trailers then Europe. As we are in the EU the uk can use these trailers in Europe but if we are not in the EU  then they might not allow taller trailers then theirs.

6 minutes ago, Odd days said:

The uk does allow higher trailers then Europe. As we are in the EU the uk can use these trailers in Europe but if we are not in the EU  then they might not allow taller trailers then theirs.

Trailers over 4m high aren't allowed on the Continent, regardless of whether the UK is in the EU or not. They are not allowed now while the UK is still in the EU so why should they be allowed afterwards? Whether trailers are registered or not is a completely different issue.

Are you sure they was allowed as they are legall in their country of origin. Yes I know that they have a 4 m rule in EU that was the boneof contention. To get more load space they run smaller wheels in EU

48 minutes ago, Odd days said:

Are you sure they was allowed as they are legall in their country of origin. Yes I know that they have a 4 m rule in EU that was the boneof contention. To get more load space they run smaller wheels in EU

Country of origin doesn't matter. The same applies to caravans over 7m body length being towed by vehicles with a GVW of under 3500kg. They are normally tolerated, but theoretically not allowed into the UK. Their entry into the UK can be refused.

Edited by Lutz

Sorry I thought uk full height trailer was allowed when with a uk truck. Thought it was one of those odd rules that had been sorted out like they do.

We have European trucks we send across for EU as 4 m is the EU type approval but we have our own trailers UK type approved at 5. 6m if I remember .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

13 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

We have European trucks we send across for EU as 4 m is the EU type approval but we have our own trailers UK type approved at 5. 6m if I remember .

Dave

There is no such thing (yet) as UK type approval.

20 hours ago, Lutz said:

Country of origin doesn't matter. The same applies to caravans over 7m body length being towed by vehicles with a GVW of under 3500kg. They are normally tolerated, but theoretically not allowed into the UK. Their entry into the UK can be refused.

I doubt very much if customs or immigration have the authority to stop them entering the UK however the police can probably pull them over once they have entered the UK.

17 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Dave

Is there a specified legal  height limit for vehicles in the UK?

The practical limits are electricity cables which must be, at least, 5. 8m  agl and telephone cables at  5. 33m

5. 03 metres. =16'6" max.

geoff