colonel

Cracked up.

Fed up! I delivered my van to a small dealers, the other day, and hurried off to the look on getting out the car. A minute or so later, I got back and he said to me"Have you got a warranty? We'll take it back". The rear panel was cracked! Reading the warranty documents revealed that plastic and glass fibre panels weren't covered for cracks. Before you say it, a leak had to come from a sealed joint. Damn!

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, colonel said:

Fed up! I delivered my van to a small dealers, the other day, and hurried off to the look on getting out the car. A minute or so later, I got back and he said to me"Have you got a warranty? We'll take it back". The rear panel was cracked! Reading the warranty documents revealed that plastic and glass fibre panels weren't covered for cracks. Before you say it, a leak had to come from a sealed joint. Damn!

It's probably me but I an not sure what you are saying!

You took your caravan to the dealers ---  you got out of your car --- Dealer asked do you have a warranty  --- We'll take it back, is that the caravan or the warranty they will take back? ---- rear panel cracked not covered by warranty ---- a leak had to come from a sealed joint, who is saying that you or the dealer?

Alan 

• Like 1

Tough on the dealer if the manufacturer no longer wishes to uphold the warranty.   Under SOGA it is now the responsibility of the dealer to do the repair at their cost as the caravan is only 4 years old.   Unfortunately the onus is on you to prove a manufacturing issue however the good news is that the Internet is littered with examples of panels cracking and the action people have taken.  

Sale of Goods Act;

1 Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i. e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

2  Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.    Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

3  It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

4 If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

5 For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

5 hours ago, AlanNancy said:

It's probably me but I an not sure what you are saying!

You took your caravan to the dealers ---  you got out of your car --- Dealer asked do you have a warranty  --- We'll take it back, is that the caravan or the warranty they will take back? ---- rear panel cracked not covered by warranty ---- a leak had to come from a sealed joint, who is saying that you or the dealer?

Alan 

My posting should read, "Well, take it back". We read the MRG warranty and it says that plastic or Glastonbury panels, over 12 mont old are excluded.   The warranty also states that leaks are not covered unless they come from a sealed seam. As the dealer said, bad language  removed warranty.

The warranty is just that, it is in addition to your legal rights not replacing them.

Now the big questions, when did you buy it, and from who.  

The right answers here can make a world of difference to who is going to foot the bill, should you choose to fight for your rights.

1 hour ago, colonel said:

My posting should read, "Well, take it back". We read the MRG warranty and it says that plastic or Glastonbury panels, over 12 mont old are excluded.   The warranty also states that leaks are not covered unless they come from a sealed seam. As the dealer said, bad language  removed warranty.

Glastonbury panels?

And how did bad language remove the warranty?

Sorry I'm struggling with this as well.

• Like 1

I think he means, the way the warranty was written, in that effectively he was not covered for any damp repairs, due to its source being cracked panels rather than a seamed joint, cracked panels being excluded.  I appreciate that the original post is not that clear, but thats how I interpret it, and for the poster who queried “ glastonbury” panels, if you had started at the beginning of the thread, you will see it is glassfibre panels. Looks like a predictive text error in the subsequent post.  

Id guess that the Colonel was creating his original post, whilst either still a tad upset, or possibly after a bit of medicinal sorrow drowning.  ;)  Possibly he will resurface and clarify things.

Cracked panels seem to be a fairly common exclusion from warranties these days.

To me that indicates the manufacturers are only too well aware that these panels are likely to crack during the warranty period, so they specifically exclude them in order to limit their liability.  

That doesnt absolveb them from the “ a product must last a reasonable time” scenario and most reasonable people would expect a caravan to last more than four years.

The trouble is the manufacturers are well aware that few owners will have the bottle to instigate court proceedings so are happy to let the issue continue.  

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

The problem is when the dealer or manufacturer says it is impact damage or pot hole caused the crack which is not uncommon ?  

Dave

14 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

The problem is when the dealer or manufacturer says it is impact damage or pot hole caused the crack which is not uncommon ?  

Dave

Not really a problem as the caravan should be designed taking into account the state of our roads.   If they can export caravans to countries were the roads are far worse than those in the UK, there should not be any issues.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Not really a problem as the caravan should be designed taking into account the state of our roads.   If they can export caravans to countries were the roads are far worse than those in the UK, there should not be any issues.

I would imagine that vans sold abroad for arduous conditions,Australia comes to mind,are more robustly constructed than the average British caravan.

Ian

• Like 2

Export models . Built more robust for the Australian roads .

http://www. sydneyrvgroup. com. au/elddis-caravans-brand

http://www. rvservicecentre. com. au/service-agent-elddis-caravans-and-auto-trail-motorhomes/

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

2 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Shame they are not available over here, i wouldnt be surprised if people over here were also interested in these "extras"

On 17/12/2018 at 19:23, Tandem Man said:

I would imagine that vans sold abroad for arduous conditions,Australia comes to mind,are more robustly constructed than the average British caravan.

Ian

Not sure why they would have a separate assembly line to build more robust caravans for a limited export market?  Surely it is more cost effective to manufacture all caravans to the same standard?

16 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Bailey build Australian caravans in Australia .

https://baileyaustralia. com. au

Dave

Then they are not export caravans?

Some Aussie entertainment!

John.

1 hour ago, Leedslad said:

Some Aussie entertainment!

John.

A UK caravan would not even last 10 minutes off road but then they were not designed to go off road or on most A roads in the UK!