Jaydug

No Visa required for travel after Brexit.

https://www. bbc. com/news/uk-46564884

Early days yet to worry about this headline.    And a 7Euro charge for three years isn't too onerous.    But what is, it only gives permission for a stay up to 90 days.    I usually stay for four months, but many of my friends stay for six.

9 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

Early days yet to worry about this headline.    And a 7Euro charge for three years isn't too onerous.    But what is, it only gives permission for a stay up to 90 days.    I usually stay for four months, but many of my friends stay for six.

Then you and them will need a visa!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

I'd send a note to Theresa and see if she could sort you out an extension :rolleyes:

90 + days then you become a illegal immigrant and will be fined and banned for 1-3 years .

Dave

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jaydug said:

But what is, it only gives permission for a stay up to 90 days.    I usually stay for four months, but many of my friends stay for six.

That's a standard Schengen rule, max 90 days in any 180 days, did not expect it to be a problem until end of the transition period but if there is a no deal Brexit it could be a problem real soon! French border guards has to start scanning passports or they will have no idea how long you stayed. ..

Not read this article yet, but how will it effect us Brits living in France wanting to go to the UK for a holiday?

25 minutes ago, AndersG said:

That's a standard Schengen rule, max 90 days in any 180 days, did not expect it to be a problem until end of the transition period but if there is a no deal Brexit it could be a problem real soon! French border guards has to start scanning passports or they will have no idea how long you stayed. ..

Passports will be date stamped I read and then the time you spent will be checked on leaving .

Dave

The simple thing to understand is that as things currently stand, at 2300hrs GMT 29th March 2019 the UK will no longer be an EU country. In the event of their being no transition deal UK citizens will instantly be treated no differently to any other non-EU citizen in terms of travel documents, entry into EU countries and residency. The ETIAS document requirement for visiting non-EU  passport holders is expected to come into force in 2021 at a cost of €7 per person. For UK passport holders resident in an EU country outside the UK the same rules that apply to current non-EU passport holder residents will apply.

Of course, if the transition deal is agreed not much, if anything, will change for a while.

• Like 2

Well put LE.

geoff

• Thanks 1

Just announced it on news from 2021 €7charge.

Hope we bring in similar system !

11 hours ago, 664DaveS said:

Just announced it on news from 2021 €7charge.

Hope we bring in similar system !

Another opportunity for Capita to be given half a billion pounds to screw up a computer system.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, MGBGTV8 said:

Not read this article yet, but how will it effect us Brits living in France wanting to go to the UK for a holiday?

I don’t think it will have any affect on you going back to the UK as long as you have a valid UK passport, if I were you I’d be more worried about your French redicency rights. I now have dual UK/British citizenship so at the moment no dramas but friends of mine don’t because they haven’t lived here on the ‘German Net’ the required 8 years so they will need to apply for an ‘Aufenthaltserlaubnis‘ (residents permit). If post-Brexit the Germans or British say that dual citizenship is no longer allowed I will have to give up one of my citizenships (it will be the German one) and I will need a residence permit too.

Do you have dual French/British citizenship?

Oh, shock, horror. It will cost us when we leave the EU!!!!

"It's a price worth paying" was a mantra for many of the leavers, even though no-one could say what the price would be, but now, when faced with the reality of actually HAVING to pay it, they're moaning!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

"It's a price worth paying" was a mantra for many of the leavers, even though no-one could say what the price would be, but now, when faced with the reality of actually HAVING to pay it, they're moaning!

. ..and the prospects of losing the EHIC card and having to find someone to insure their health issues at great expense!

If you arrive at the border post after the ninety days what can they do?  Deport you?  What about all the illegal migrants as surely the same rules should apply to them?

9 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

Who is moaning as I doubt whether €7 over 3 years will break the bank?

7 minutes ago, MalH said:

. ..and the prospects of losing the EHIC card and having to find someone to insure their health issues at great expense!

Simple just use Red Pennant!  You have to pay that cost anyway if you travel outside of the EU at the moment.

23 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

No, not all of us. ...........we are selling up our overseas home and relocating back to the UK. Believe me, the grass is not always greener on the EU side. The good news is that we will be out by 29 March so no worries on visa/residency/permits etc.

27 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

If you arrive at the border post after the ninety days what can they do?  Deport you?  What about all the illegal migrants as surely the same rules should apply to them?

I believe you will not be allowed back in for a period of time (3 years?)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

now, when faced with the reality of actually HAVING to pay it, they're moaning!

Keeping to the topic - I can't see any post where anybody is moaning.    My opening comment was " And a 7Euro charge for three years isn't too onerous." 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

I believe you will not be allowed back in for a period of time (3 years?)

Aaah! The shooting in the foot scenario however the law should be applied equally to migrants.   ;)

4 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Aaah! The shooting in the foot scenario however the law should be applied equally to migrants.   ;)

It is. We will have to pay the same as 60 other non EU member countries.

9 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

It is - why would you think it isn’t or won’t be?

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I don’t think it will have any affect on you going back to the UK as long as you have a valid UK passport, if I were you I’d be more worried about your French redicency rights. I now have dual UK/British citizenship so at the moment no dramas but friends of mine don’t because they haven’t lived here on the ‘German Net’ the required 8 years so they will need to apply for an ‘Aufenthaltserlaubnis‘ (residents permit). If post-Brexit the Germans or British say that dual citizenship is no longer allowed I will have to give up one of my citizenships (it will be the German one) and I will need a residence permit too.

Do you have dual French/British citizenship?

No we don't have dual citizenship, we have only lived here 5 months.

1 hour ago, MGBGTV8 said:

No we don't have dual citizenship, we have only lived here 5 months.

What have the French authorities said you need to do in case of a No Deal Brexit?

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

If you are an illegal immigrant, as in entered the country illegally, you will be deported back to your home country. If you are an asylum seeker then UN conventions and international law requires the country you have landed in to process your claim and either accept for residency or reject and deport.

If you are a genuine traveller who entered legally but overstayed your welcome then you risk temporary detention, a fine and deportation or a ban on re-entry for a period of time. Everyone is treated equally according to status - legal immigrant (migrant), illegal immigrant, asylum seeker or overstayer.

I don't suppose for one moment that banning one family of tourists will have such a massive impact on their GDP that could be called shooting themselves in the foot!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

If you are an illegal immigrant, as in entered the country illegally, you will be deported back to your home country. If you are an asylum seeker then UN conventions and international law requires the country you have landed in to process your claim and either accept for residency or reject and deport.

If you are a genuine traveller who entered legally but overstayed your welcome then you risk temporary detention, a fine and deportation or a ban on re-entry for a period of time. Everyone is treated equally according to status - legal immigrant (migrant), illegal immigrant, asylum seeker or overstayer.

I don't suppose for one moment that banning one family of tourists will have such a massive impact on their GDP that could be called shooting themselves in the foot!

True but it may be more than one family that gets banned however would you be banned from the EU or just that one country? 

Are you an asylum seeker if you have trekked across several safe countries to reach the EU.   Are you an asylum seeker if coming from North Africa where there is no war or conflicts? 

Will we still see all these hanging around once the €7 fee is introduced or will they be exempt from the €7 fee?  After all it should be the same for all people and hopefully this will be the case in future!