Twin Axle Questions

Mark&Penny14

Now that we have our nice shiny Coachman VIP 675 sitting on the drive and after reading and posting about various things to do with levelling and jacking twin axle vans, I still have a bit of a conundrum,  as I have done as several people have said and driven 1 wheel onto a ramp to see if it gives enough lift for the other wheel to be changed and can confirm that it doesn’t, all it seems to do is make the wheel on the ramp bulge a lot, suggesting too much load, anyway moving on, I have quad movers fitted so the access to the jacking points isn’t accessible as per the pic below or are these still useable with something like a Kojack.  

77D8F80F-8BAA-46B1-A50B-4AC51396D4AA.thumb.jpeg.ea3ffa6dae1d9a226be8adce4e0770a9.jpeg

So with these not being useable I need to look at another jacking solution, I’m thinking of a small trolley jack that could be used between the wheels is that an option and if so would it be ok to jack on the strengthened section as per the picture below

C7A5DBA9-9D5C-47A7-AD0A-AAB3E32CA713.thumb.jpeg.ebb530251b1f037cd862b5d8b8b13815.jpeg

Any my suggestions please.  

Cheers Mark.  

2022 Buccaneer Bermuda Rejected and Gone after 24 hours  Pulled by a Volvo XC90 T8 Recharge 2023 MY

If you can get a strong enough jack in there, then go for it.

I always jack mine on this plate (for better or worse?)

Have you tried offering up the Kojack brackets to see if you can a) fit them and b) get a jack on them when fitted.

• Like 1

I don’t have a Kojack so can’t do that I think a trolly might be easier 

2022 Buccaneer Bermuda Rejected and Gone after 24 hours  Pulled by a Volvo XC90 T8 Recharge 2023 MY

30 minutes ago, Mark&Penny14 said:

so would it be ok to jack on the strengthened section

Absolutely OK to jack using the strengthened section as you were thinking.

If not there, then under the axle tube just behind the backplate.

A trolley jack is the better option, and safer than any side lift type,  to jack with as long as the surface it is on will allow the jack to move as the lift progresses to keep the jacking pad in the correct position.

Edited by Brecon
  • Like 1

Yes I was thinking of a piece of timber or something to prevent metal in metal slippage.  

22 minutes ago, Mark&Penny14 said:

Yes I was thinking of a piece of timber or something to prevent metal in metal slippage.  

If you are going to jack it up connect the hitch to your car first

• Like 2

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

2 hours ago, Mark&Penny14 said:

Now that we have our nice shiny Coachman VIP 675 sitting on the drive and after reading and posting about various things to do with levelling and jacking twin axle vans, I still have a bit of a conundrum,  as I have done as several people have said and driven 1 wheel onto a ramp to see if it gives enough lift for the other wheel to be changed and can confirm that it doesn’t, all it seems to do is make the wheel on the ramp bulge a lot, suggesting too much load, anyway moving on, I have quad movers fitted so the access to the jacking points isn’t accessible as per the pic below or are these still useable with something like a Kojack.  

77D8F80F-8BAA-46B1-A50B-4AC51396D4AA.thumb.jpeg.ea3ffa6dae1d9a226be8adce4e0770a9.jpeg

So with these not being useable I need to look at another jacking solution, I’m thinking of a small trolley jack that could be used between the wheels is that an option and if so would it be ok to jack on the strengthened section as per the picture below

C7A5DBA9-9D5C-47A7-AD0A-AAB3E32CA713.thumb.jpeg.ebb530251b1f037cd862b5d8b8b13815.jpeg

Any my suggestions please.  

Cheers Mark.  

Im amazed that a ramp doesnt lift enough, what height was the ramp? Yes the tyres will bulge a little more just as they will when you go over a speed bump etc but nothing untoward there.

1 minute ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Im amazed that a ramp doesnt lift enough, what height was the ramp? Yes the tyres will bulge a little more just as they will when you go over a speed bump etc but nothing untoward there.

To be exact 102 mm but the other wheel remained on the floor 

55 minutes ago, Mark&Penny14 said:

I have used a commercial levelling ramp with two different twin axles and never had a problem, in both cases plenty of room for the inflated wheel to go on.  

Learn something new every day!, That must be a lot of suspension travel on your van, well, greater than 102mm

As others have suggested I used a trolley jack for our twin axle caravans. A 1.5 tonne jack was perfectly acceptable as in effect it only has to lift half of the caravan weight if the other two wheels remain on the ground. Also as has been suggested I always coupled the caravan to the towcar with parking brake engaged, before attempting to lift one side as this prevents the caravan from rotating sideways as it if lifted, and also negates the requirement for applying the caravan's parking brake if on firm horizontal ground. That's all that's needed to replace a wheel.

The usual safety rules apply, so keep the towcar coupled and do not rely on the jack alone if you intend to work under the caravan - always use at least one axle stand, and if additional stability is required lower all four corner steadies, not forgetting to raise them again before lowering the caravan to the ground.

Gordon.

26 minutes ago, Gordon said:

As others have suggested I used a trolley jack for our twin axle caravans. A 1. 5 tonne jack was perfectly acceptable as in effect it only has to lift half of the caravan weight if the other two wheels remain on the ground. Also as has been suggested I always coupled the caravan to the towcar with parking brake engaged, before attempting to lift one side as this prevents the caravan from rotating sideways as it if lifted, and also negates the requirement for applying the caravan's parking brake if on firm horizontal ground. That's all that's needed to replace a wheel.

The usual safety rules apply, so keep the towcar coupled and do not rely on the jack alone if you intend to work under the caravan - always use at least one axle stand, and if additional stability is required lower all four corner steadies, not forgetting to raise them again before lowering the caravan to the ground.

Gordon.

:Thankyou:

When you are only using one wheel on a twin axle you are applying possibly twice the maximum weight to the suspension and tyre to the one on the ground so it should not be left for a long period but as short as possible .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

18 hours ago, Mark&Penny14 said:

I don’t have a Kojack so can’t do that I think a trolly might be easier 

Trolley jack for me, also handy for the cars.

Machine Mart do several narrow enough to fit between the tyres of a twin axle, mine is a CTJ2, a 2 tonne and is 196mm wide.

20181210_114154.jpg

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

7 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

When you are only using one wheel on a twin axle you are applying possibly twice the maximum weight to the suspension and tyre to the one on the ground so it should not be left for a long period but as short as possible .

Dave

Static load will be nowhere near the dynamic load the tyre experiences during use. Every bump in the road will put much higher load on it than the caravan itself.

24 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Static load will be nowhere near the dynamic load the tyre experiences during use. Every bump in the road will put much higher load on it than the caravan itself.

A bump in the road is not the same as compressing the suspension with twice the weight as it will damage the suspension if left for a extended period .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

On 09/12/2018 at 20:26, Mark&Penny14 said:

Have a look at these, a neighbour uses one for punctures on his Ifor Williams twin axle trailers.

https://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/1-x-HEAVY-DUTY-RAMP-FOR-CHANGING-TYRES-ON-TWIN-AXLE-TRAILERS-NO-JACK-REQUIRED/181947159464

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

A bump in the road is not the same as compressing the suspension with twice the weight as it will damage the suspension if left for a extended period .

Dave

I completely agree but were not talking extended periods here and the bump in the road will be many times higher. Consider also you could unknowing park with one wheel over a pot hole / speed bump etc also adding load to one axle. Theyre not as fragile as you believe.

9 hours ago, Silversurf said:

Have a look at these, a neighbour uses one for punctures on his Ifor Williams twin axle trailers.

https://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/1-x-HEAVY-DUTY-RAMP-FOR-CHANGING-TYRES-ON-TWIN-AXLE-TRAILERS-NO-JACK-REQUIRED/181947159464

Yep, thats the same idea.

9 hours ago, Silversurf said:

I would like to see a demonstration of changing tyres with the above FleaBay item. :rolleyes:

Doesn't seem to do what it is claimed. It may be possible to change a caravan wheel with a ramp.

1 hour ago, DeeTee said:

I would like to see a demonstration of changing tyres with the above FleaBay item. Doesn't seem to do what it is claimed.

Here is a link to a similar device.

Personally I have never tried this, preferring to use my trolley jack as that can also be used if you have access to a second spare and you have the misfortune to puncture both tyres on the same side of the caravan - unlikely, but possible. Obviously this device can only be used on multi-axle outfits.

I have a single axle but have used the leveling ramp to pull the caravan onto, this raise the flat tyre high enough to get the jack under to change the wheel.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

4 hours ago, Gordon said:

Here is a link to a similar device.

Personally I have never tried this, preferring to use my trolley jack as that can also be used if you have access to a second spare and you have the misfortune to puncture both tyres on the same side of the caravan - unlikely, but possible. Obviously this device can only be used on multi-axle outfits.

That will enable someone to change the wheel which is raised off the ground. What it does not appear to allow is for someone to change the TYRE (TIRE)

Edited by DeeTee
corrected minor typos
  • I do not understand 1