AlanS

ACSI 2019 Books/Membership

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 22:16, jampot said:

Should there be a book of maps this year? Ours arrived today from C&CC - 2 books of sites but no map book like the one included last year.

Jim

Yes, there are 2 books and in one of them there is or should be a small map book as normal.

Alan

9 hours ago, AlanS said:

Yes, there are 2 books and in one of them there is or should be a small map book as normal.

Alan

Yes, I had to look twice. The maps were stuck tightly in the back of one of the books with that snotty-bogey glue stuff.

Has arrived, from C&CC

Yes, I had to look twice. The maps were stuck tightly in the back of one of the books with that snotty-bogey glue stuff.

Found it!

Thanks v. much:-)

Jim

We're out in Spain & ordered ours from C&CC when we booked this trip

Nothing arrived yet?

Anyone else in Spain received theirs from the C&CC yet?

I ordered mine on Wednesday morning from Vicarious Books (I thought I had already pre-ordered but then I realised that I had forgotten when I read this topic) for £17-50 post free.   It arrived in perfect condition on Saturday morning which is excellent service to the North of Scotland.

Well mine has not come yet! Ordered and paid for at end of October!

On the phone in the morning!

On 09/12/2018 at 17:03, PeteG said:

Ours arrived the other day, in a Royal Mail poly bag marked "damaged on arrival in UK".  The books were hanging out of the cardboard container, and one of them was in a bit of a state, the other was fine.  I emailed ACSI and received a very nice reply saying they would send me another copy of the damaged book.  Very kind of them, considering it wasn't their fault that it got damaged in transit.

Mine has just arrived in the same state!

emailed them to complain!

Anyone know why they charge 2€ shipping to the UK and 9. 05€ to France, they won't tell me.

Am I the only one who doesn't want the tree, just the Card and mobile phone app?

Still not received mine. I emailed them this afternoon, still hoping as we leave for Spain on 2nd January.

les

The campsite details for 2019 are now available for download onto the App if you have it.  Personally I never use the books anymore, the app is one of THE best I have come across.

Andy

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

The campsite details for 2019 are now available for download onto the App if you have it.  Personally I never use the books anymore, the app is one of THE best I have come across.

Andy

I agree especially when you can use them off-line when no wifi is available and can see all the site information and reviews for all sites across Europe that are in the ACSI books.

Alan

On 07/12/2018 at 13:00, stevew1 said:

Mine are standing order, when I first got them several years ago they worked out at about £9 now it’s about £14, shows how the pound has fared over the last few years as they are bought in euros . The order does include the years subscription to the app though .

£11. 49 if you buy it from the CAMC

59 minutes ago, ianfish said:

£11. 49 if you buy it from the CAMC

+ £2. 50 P&P

On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 14:56, Lost in France said:

Anyone know why they charge 2€ shipping to the UK and 9. 05€ to France, they won't tell me.

Am I the only one who doesn't want the tree, just the Card and mobile phone app?

Silly thing is that mine was posted from France!!, also arrived in a bag provided by Royal Mail as it was soggy. New book 2 on it's way.

16 hours ago, rushallmanor said:

Silly thing is that mine was posted from France!!, 

That was my point about postage costs, my last one was posted from Switzerland.

I don't understand why they don't just offer the app and card, I would happily pay the same price (without postage) and they would make a lot more profit.

1 hour ago, Lost in France said:

That was my point about postage costs, my last one was posted from Switzerland.

I don't understand why they don't just offer the app and card, I would happily pay the same price (without postage) and they would make a lot more profit.

+1    The ONLY time I open the book(s) is to remove the card

Andy

Is the ACSI service any good? That's a rhetorical question; I much enjoy skimming through it and it's certainly a good standby. However, there are three things you need to bear in mind. The very best camp sites (such as Piani di Clodia on Lake Garda) don't appear in it. We were staying there last summer and a delightful chap approached us from ACSI to ask our opinion of the site - they still inspect and rate, but if the site doesn't pay the dues it doesn't get an entry. The top sites are so fully booked they don't need to offer a discount. So you do miss top sites. Secondly, you have to get used to the Dutch camper mentality. The loos are the most important feature of any site, so however indifferent the rest of the site is if the loos are passable it will get a generously slanted review. After all, they are paying to be in the book! Thirdly, if you come upon a site that isn't there, you can be pretty sure there won't be any dutch campers as they do frequent only ACSI sites, with really rare exceptions.

I presume everyone knows about the leading campings website for the really top sites? https://www. leadingcampings. com/en/campsites. html

Having spoken to ASCI, they will not supply just the card and app and as I'm not prepared to spend 9€ on posting something I will never use, are there any other similar schemes and more importantly Android apps?  

If you want the discount then you need the ACSI card but I do think that ACSI are missing a trick here and should offer a 'paid for' card without the guides.

There is 'Best Deal' where you can download a card and print it  yourself, and there is an App and a website available.    See details here: https://www. campingnavigator. com/en/best-deal-camping-card/

48 minutes ago, Lost in France said:

Having spoken to ASCI, they will not supply just the card and app and as I'm not prepared to spend 9€ on posting something I will never use, are there any other similar schemes and more importantly Android apps?  

There is nothing to my knowledge available that comes anywhere near the deal you get with ACSI,  It is surely a case of REALLY  cutting off your nose to spite your face just for €9 postage? (roughly £7. 50) 

Especially when you look at the savings to be had using ACSI for just a single week.

We go for 7-9 weeks at a time twice a year and the savings for using ACSI are very substantial indeed.  

For anyone confused as to why some of the sites on the App don’t show a price against them I THINK I have worked  it out. The cost is €20 UNLESS a lower price is shown (€14 €16 etc)

The reason  I say that is because  Every “non-priced” campsite on the app that I have looked up in the book is a €20 one.

(No I don’t know why they don’t just put €20 against the site details either :wub: )

Andy

Sounds like a good answer Andy. ..have given up Europe (SWMBO insists) but always found the book/card useful. ,

Just checked an my first book was 2005/2006 and I got the pack through Aldi!

geoff

47 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

It is surely a case of REALLY  cutting off your nose to spite your face just for €9 postage? (roughly £7. 50) 

Especially when you look at the savings to be had using ACSI for just a single week.

Yes, there is part of that but I dislike and will go out of my way not to use arrogant, rude companies with a 'take it or leave it' attitude who refuse to answer a direct question.

49 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

We go for 7-9 weeks at a time twice a year and the savings for using ACSI are very substantial indeed.  

We don't, we just go for odd weeks when business allows, so the total cost:savings is marginal anyway, it's just that I like the app (but not that much) 

37 minutes ago, Lost in France said:

Yes, there is part of that but I dislike and will go out of my way not to use arrogant, rude companies with a 'take it or leave it' attitude who refuse to answer a direct question.

Thats somewhat at variance with your previous post (below) where you clearly state you have “Spoken to ACSI” so they HAVE answered your question, so in what way are they “rude and arrogant?” and how have they “refused to answer a direct question?” A question to which you clearly have indeed had an answer to? Albeit one you clearly didn’t like.

2 hours ago, Lost in France said:

Do you adopt the same attitude in say Curry’s if they refuse to sell you a TV that’s other than black in colour??

Andy

32 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Thats somewhat at variance with your previous post (below) where you clearly state you have “Spoken to ACSI” so they HAVE answered your question, so in what way are they “rude and arrogant?” and how have they “refused to answer a direct question?” A question to which you clearly have indeed had an answer to? Albeit one you clearly didn’t like.

They refused to tel me why shipping to the UK is £2. 00 while to France it's 9€ particularly as it's sometimes posted from France.

They were rude & arrogant about not supplying the (unwanted) books.

34 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Do you adopt the same attitude in say Curry’s if they refuse to sell you a TV that’s other than black in colour??

Yes, if I don't like their attitude.

I have been know to leave a full shopping trolly at a checkout that announces that it's closing as I get to the point of unloading my shopping on the conveyor belt.