Jason t

Caravan insurance

Hi have just purchased a caravan and opted for a Bailey and was just wondering who is the best insurance company and which ones to avoid thank you 

No one good one and probably no one bad one. ...you need to take into account many things, value of caravan, do you want 'new for old' cover? Where is it to be stored, what security devices are you going to employ etc. etc.

I would guess that most of the regulars on this forum actually search the market every year on renewal as prices can vary a lot, some insure with the Caravan Club and stay there forever, some use Brokers rather than going online and many go to comparison sites.

So, same procedure as when your car wants insuring, check the market rather than one specific company. Personally, I have never had bad dealings with any of the ones I have used,claimwise, just that some start cheap and escalate premiums rather too quickly.

Best of hunting!

geoff

Edited by shipbroker

:welcome:

There is no best insurance company as insurance costs depend on so many factors. 

Also the vast majority of  us never have claimed so we don't know how our insurance company would perform in the event of a claim.

Because of the above, we use the CMC for peace of mind.

11 minutes ago, WispMan said:

:welcome:

There is no best insurance company as insurance costs depend on so many factors.  

Also the vast majority of  us never have claimed so we don't know how our insurance company would perform in the event of a claim.

Because of the above, we use the CMC for peace of mind.

As he says !! An insurance is peace of mind .

The number of people say they have saved money insuring with some company with offices in the other side of the world then moan they can't get any money out of them . Go with a recommendation .

Dave

If I was coming cold to the caravan ownership I would probably go CMC to start with. ..they know the ropes well enough. Saying that I have had substantial claims,including write-offs, handled fairly and with a light touch by Saga,NFU & AXA.

geoff 

Towergate, Caravan Guard, Lifesure, all been used by me in recent years, currently with Lifesure.

All much cheaper than CMC.

Never had a claim though, which is when you find out how good the Insurer really is.

21 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

Towergate, Caravan Guard, Lifesure, all been used by me in recent years, currently with Lifesure.

All much cheaper than CMC.

We use Towergate and they are excellent. We had a fairly large claim last year  (4K plus) and they handled it really well. When I renewed again this year the premium only went up by a couple of percent. They are significantly cheaper than CMC.  

Just as an aside obtain a realistic valuation for your caravan and contents from an informed 3rd party and not the insurance company.

Edited by Nilrem

Ok thanks guys will have a look round 

I go through our local broker and they do the legwork, they picked Towergate for me this time around, I've added extra cover for the 2 solar panel systems, awning and mover.

I started off with CMC insurance and then changed to the C&CC because they were about half the price of the CMC for identical cover. Whoever you choose do check the small print to ensure that you have suitable cover, for the terms and conditions do vary quite a bit.  

CMC  always promise a saving of £25 on present cover, but they want to know what you are paying first. ..not my way!

geoff

1 hour ago, DaveMiller said:

I started off with CMC insurance and then changed to the C&CC because they were about half the price of the CMC for identical cover.

I can confirm that Dave.   I've been with C&CC's ClubCare for 30-odd years, and every couple of years I check round and CaMC is always the dearest and C&CC is the cheapest for comparitive cover.

John

1 hour ago, DaveMiller said:

I started off with CMC insurance and then changed to the C&CC because they were about half the price of the CMC for identical cover. Whoever you choose do check the small print to ensure that you have suitable cover, for the terms and conditions do vary quite a bit.  

I had exactly the opposite experience with C&CC !

Currently with CMC.

C&CC cost me just under £400 to insure our new £27000 2018 Swift and required the pain in the posterior Alko wheel lock in place.

Now under £200 for same caravan.

Taking first £500 on any claim

Two forms of security including Swift alarm

CASSOA Gold storage.

No contents no awning insurance.(We keep nothing of value in our caravan)

OP as others have advised each individual has different insurance priorities you must be clear on your criteria eg taking a big share on any one claim (£500) can massively reduce the premium.

Have used various over the years.   Only claimed once when caravan was stolen. which was this year.   This is when you know if your insurance company is good or bad.   I got a payout for my caravan and contents (all new for old), but when it was done and dusted, the insurance company then told me I couldn't use the storage site where our caravan was stored, which I've found out most insurance companies do this, luckily I found one (owned by the same company as the previous storage site), which the insurance company agreed I could use, but they then dropped me like a red hot stone, even though I had 7 months to go before renewing it.   I have been with Peacock Insurance Services (brokers), and they were very good in getting me another insurance company, but they were very annoyed about my last insurance company, who were Ark Insurance about how they treated us, even though we had done everything the company told us to do.

On 03/12/2018 at 14:59, shipbroker said:

If I was coming cold to the caravan ownership I would probably go CMC to start with. ..they know the ropes well enough. Saying that I have had substantial claims,including write-offs, handled fairly and with a light touch by Saga,NFU & AXA.

geoff 

Dont say Light Geoff

3 minutes ago, cockneychris said:

Dont say Light Geoff

OK,not heavy handed then??

geoff

There are only a relatively few insurance companies that do caravan insurance, so just shop around to find which one you are happiest dealing with. As others have said there are a huge number of factors that can influence the premiums.

The one ABSOLUTELY VITAL thing to be 100% aware of is EXACTLY what security measures your insurance company say you must take. I know of at least one person who fitted “winter wheels” and their was  caravan stolen (off their drive during the day) Insurance company wouldn’t pay out because a condition was that it had to have a WHEEL  lock  in use at all times it was unattended. Winter wheels are not a wheel lock! Expensive mistake!! 

There can be a  tremendous differences in premiums the same as for cars. I shop around every single year, some are happy to remain with the same company.

“ You pays your money and takes your choice”

Andy

20 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

There are only a relatively few insurance companies that do caravan insurance, so just shop around to find which one you are happiest dealing with. As others have said there are a huge number of factors that can influence the premiums.

The one ABSOLUTELY VITAL thing to be 100% aware of is EXACTLY what security measures your insurance company say you must take. I know of at least one person who fitted “winter wheels” and their was  caravan stolen (off their drive during the day) Insurance company wouldn’t pay out because a condition was that it had to have a WHEEL  lock  in use at all times it was unattended. Winter wheels are not a wheel lock! Expensive mistake!! 

There can be a  tremendous differences in premiums the same as for cars. I shop around every single year, some are happy to remain with the same company.

“ You pays your money and takes your choice”

Andy

A local caravan salesman towed his one year old caravan home and parked it in his driveway.

Being dog tired he did not fit the Alko wheel lock.

Next morning the caravan was gone.

He phoned the insurance company and went to work.

The insurance company phoned his home for details.

When his wife was asked the question “was the Alko wheel lock fitted” she truthfully answered “no”

The insurance company refused their claim.